I need some wheels

adamada

CAGiversary!
So I'm going to be getting a vehicle some time around the beginning of May. I've been without wheels for almost 2 years now; its time to fix this inconvenience. I'm looking to spend about $5,000-$6,000 on a sedan or maybe something like a Subaru Outback. I'll mostly be racking up city miles.

Any suggestions on model, company, year, certified pre-owned, private party, etc??

Any advice would, as always, be appreciated.

[quote name='zion']Can you even get a used outback for $6,000?[/quote]

subaru's hold their value, so a $6000 subaru will be an old one. you're on the right track thinking foreign cars though. i usually stick w/honda or toyotas for reliability and low price...used of course.

[quote name='gaelan'][quote name='zion']Can you even get a used outback for $6,000?[/quote]

subaru's hold their value, so a $6000 subaru will be an old one. you're on the right track thinking foreign cars though. i usually stick w/honda or toyotas for reliability and low price...used of course.[/quote]

He said an outback, well I guess some of the 95-96 models are in that price range.

According to Edmunds.com, a 2000 Subaru Outback with 65,000 miles is still going for $12,500 in Wisconsin.

A five year old car... not too bad on keeping it's value.

Especially when compared to Mitsubishis and Chryslers. (with the exception of Jeep Wranglers that is)

We have a 98 Outback on our lot with 85,000 miles and it's $8999. It's common for those Subaru boxer engines to easily run to 200,000 miles without any problems.

OP- Your best bet would be to buy from a private party. You may be able to buy a car from someone who is looking to unload their car and just needs enough money to pay off the loan. Plus, private parties usually aren't looking to make a huge profit on the vehicle (like us dealers!).
Anything in the $5-6000 range at a car lot will most likely be older and have high miles on it. Anything newer at that price will probably be a small car like a Kia Sephia or a Hyundai Accent.
Also, buying a certified preowned is pretty much out of the question because the car must meet certain age and mileage criteria before it is certified. The criteria is usually no more than 4 years old and under 50,000 miles.

[quote name='zion'][quote name='gaelan'][quote name='zion']Can you even get a used outback for $6,000?[/quote]

subaru's hold their value, so a $6000 subaru will be an old one. you're on the right track thinking foreign cars though. i usually stick w/honda or toyotas for reliability and low price...used of course.[/quote]

He said an outback, well I guess some of the 95-96 models are in that price range.[/quote]

i was referring to subaru's in general

Two words: Dodge Neon.

It's a 2000 model and it goes for $5,855 used.

CSDONEO001.JPG

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kbb.NJ;023701;NJ039&07090;+r&40;Dodge;2000 Neon&6;DO;B1&&&

[quote name='levi333'][quote name='javeryh']Two words: Dodge Neon.

It's a 2000 model and it goes for $5,855 used.

CSDONEO001.JPG

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.ur?kbb.NJ;023701;NJ039&07090;+r&40;Dodge;2000 Neon&6;DO;B1&&&[/quote]

Please no, i plead with you to avoid a neon.
Just dont do it.[/quote]

I have a Neon I bought after I lost my company car last summer. It's a 98 with 65,000 miles on it and I bought it for $2500. After 2 months, I had to replace the battery, plugs, and plug wires. Other than that, it hasn't been too bad. But it scares the crap out of me when I pull up behind a large SUV and realize that my front end is so low that I wouldn't hit their rear bumper until about halfway up my hood.
I think the 2000 is rated 4 stars for front end crashes and 3 stars for side impacts. Not the safest thing out there.

bread's done
Back