I never beat Metal Gear Solid 1, will I be alright with the MGS HD Collection?

Lazer77

CAGiversary!
Feedback
90 (100%)
I got probably 25% through on the Gamecube version of MGS1. I enjoyed it, but I can't remember why I never beat.

Will I be alright to jump straight into the MGS HD Collection without really knowing what happened in MGS1? I can't even remember it.

I can't remember anything that ever happened in a Metal Gear game and I've played through most of them. MGS is the best one though, IMO. MGS3 is pretty badass too. I think there was a cardboard box and an exclamation point in one of the games or something. It's all fuzzy...

I would highly recommend going back and finishing 1 before moving onto the rest. The series is extremely story-heavy.

I beat Metal Gear Solid 4 without finishing any of the other Metal Gear games (I did play MGS1 on the PSOne, but that's it). It was fun, but I had no idea what was going on.

I'd say go ahead and play 3 if you didn't beat 2, but there's no way the story feels right if you skip 1 and go right to 2. And 3 is some of the best storytelling in video game/movie history.

They're best played in the order that they were released even if that is technically chronologically out of order. There are cool little things in MGS2 that you'll miss without having played 1.

[quote name='Lazer77']So should I play them in this order: 3, 1, 2?

I don't think I can get 1 anytime soon unfortunately :[[/QUOTE]

best to play 1, 2, 3, 4, then Peace Walker.

The gameplay changed enough from each game which makes it harder to go back

If you didn't beat mgs1 none of the story suprises, Easter eggs, some heavy plot twists, and some jokes won't make sense or be as suprising/funny . Sure you can still play and enjoy them but you'll miss out on the little things that make the games awesome.

The story is nonsense.

The first MGS is fun because the gameplay kicks ass.

The last MGS has ok gameplay and some of the most kickass boss fights in fucking history.

This is why I am so ambivalent about this. Half of the people I have asked say you don't need to play the first one (just look up a summary), the other half say that I shouldn't play them out of order or else it won't be good.

But I did remember something!! I played Metal Gear Solid on Gameboy Color way back in the day, it was actually one of my favorite GBC games lol.

If you have the means still to play and beat MGS1, then do so. The series should be played in order if possible.

If not, watch some videos and get up to speed. There are many references and nods throughout the series that could put you at a disadvantage otherwise.

[quote name='Lazer77']This is why I am so ambivalent about this. Half of the people I have asked say you don't need to play the first one (just look up a summary), the other half say that I shouldn't play them out of order or else it won't be good.

But I did remember something!! I played Metal Gear Solid on Gameboy Color way back in the day, it was actually one of my favorite GBC games lol.[/QUOTE]
Well, the video series I linked to earlier is a good way to catch up on MGS if you don't feel like playing it...

i wondered what the problem was

then i remembered that Japan's MGS HD collection was 1+2+3, with PW sold separately
US MGS HD collection is 2+3+PW

This is like asking if I should start reading the 2nd Harry Potter book first.

The MGS series starts with Solid Snake. You need to understand what Solid Snake and Shadow Moses means. Play the first game, it is an easy 15 hour game. The controls will seem old, but do yourself the favor and start from the beginning.

The HD collection is great, and if you can, but it on the PS3. The control changes on the x360 are annoying, but still playable.

But MGS isn't even the beginning of Solid Snake's story... There are instances in MGS that reference events from Metal Gear on the NES.

I played through the games starting with 2 then 3 went back and played MGS and then 4. There is a story throughout the games, but it is a convoluted mess and did not impact my enjoyment of the games.

I believe GameTrailers covered the entire story in a special video feature, I'd watch the first portion of that. See here: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/metal-gear-retrospective/6748

Last edited by a moderator:
True swift900, but those nes games are, how can I say this lightly? A mess. There is so much back tracking and uninformed missions that it just isn't a game but a torture simulator.

The nes games are in the HD collection. They are apart of MGS3 game if people are willing to try them out. Worth the first try, but to speed run? Ugh.

[quote name='j-cart']True swift900, but those nes games are, how can I say this lightly? A mess. There is so much back tracking and uninformed missions that it just isn't a game but a torture simulator.

The nes games are in the HD collection. They are apart of MGS3 game if people are willing to try them out. Worth the first try, but to speed run? Ugh.[/QUOTE]

The are the MSX version. The NES Metal Gear are made by some other team.

Honestly, the story-telling is the absolute worst part of all the MG games. A convoluted mess, indeed.The gameplay is great, though, so play them however you want.

[quote name='Swift900']But MGS isn't even the beginning of Solid Snake's story... There are instances in MGS that reference events from Metal Gear on the NES.

I played through the games starting with 2 then 3 went back and played MGS and then 4. There is a story throughout the games, but it is a convoluted mess and did not impact my enjoyment of the games.

I believe GameTrailers covered the entire story in a special video feature, I'd watch the first portion of that. See here: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/metal-gear-retrospective/6748[/QUOTE]

Oh perfect! I will watch that for sure.

Trying to make sense of Metal Gear in its entirety has been shown to induce brain damage in clinical subjects.

It's something best left alone. Forget about, Jake. It's Kojimatown.

[quote name='epobirs']Trying to make sense of Metal Gear in its entirety has been shown to induce brain damage in clinical subjects.

It's something best left alone. Forget about, Jake. It's Kojimatown.[/QUOTE]

After we had all beaten MGS 4, my friends and I got lost for about 6 hours in the database. There is so much to learn, and it's all so intertwined. We were like zombies when we finally shut off the PS3 and left the room. I just could not think anymore. It is a lot of fun piecing everything together though.

Nice Chinatown reference btw.

Just to be nit picky the original Metal Gears were on MSX, not NES. The NES games aren't considered cannon (especially Snakes Revenge). But It's great they include them in the HD Collection. I did end up beating MG2: Solid Snake a few years back. In all honestly there isn't much that MGS did that wasn't already done in those MSX games. MGS is a cinematic version of the originals.

But I agree with what most people are saying, play them in order. If playing MGS is out of the question then do some homework, then go in order.

IMO MGS3 is the best of em all. Not only is it the best story (and probably the best ending in a video game ever) but it's got the most memorable boss fights and just a great way to tie everything together.

I actually played all the way through MGS1: Twin Snakes. I really enjoyed it. I can totally respect why people have it on their top 10, and why people look back at it so much, because for its time, this was a one of a kind game. I really enjoyed it, I say about an 8/10, and it keeps me motivated to continue on with the series. I did get a little irritated at times over the cutscenes being so long, because personally I found the story to be really bad. Its just the "here and now" part of the cutscenes was always intriguing, but as a whole, the story was pretty below average.

bread's done
Back