I really need help finding a laptop...

skygunnerblue

CAGiversary!
Feedback
68 (100%)
Ok, I'll be the first to admit I don't know near as much about computer shopping as I do game shopping. If anyone would be willing to help me, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm looking to buy a laptop with these general specs:

Wifi enabled
Minimum 14.1" Active Matrix (TFT) LCD screen
1 GB RAM
CD-RW / DVD-ROM internal combo drive
Full-size keyboard / Touchpad mouse
Minimum 60 GB hard drive
Midsize, 4-7 lbs
Minimum 2 USB ports

Processor?
Operating System?

Any suggestions on processor or OS? Anything I'm missing?
Finally, where are good places to buy? I kinda don't want to walk into Best Buy and get one, knowing how they are on other electronics.
I really need help in this department, so thanks for any suggestions a knowledgeable CAG may have. :)

I really need help finding a laptop...

Did you look behind the couch? lol! I would expand your horizons to the MacBook. A very capable computer with built in value with iLife and the webcam and OSX

Processor: Look for a good deal on the older Centrino Core Duo. Now that the Centrino Core 2 Duo is out, many models featuring the older processor are being cleared out and the bump in speed apparently isn't all that great.

OS: You're probably looking at some version of Windows XP. I personally prefer XP Pro, but I think that many laptops these days are coming with XP Media Center, which I think is based on XP Home. Anyway, with Vista coming, many PC makers are including cheap ($10) upgrades to Vista when it becomes available. Try to get one of those included with your laptop.

Go to slickdeals.net or fatwallet to look up good laptop deals. You didn't list a price range, but if you know the maximum amount of dollars you want to spend, shopping for laptop becomes a lot easier. Go for recognizable brand names like Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Sony, Dell, Gateway, Apple, etc.

bread's done
Back