I refuse!!! (to pay $100 for an xbox network adapter)

Phoenix_Rogue

CAG Veteran
Hey guys,

Im having a lot of trouble connecting my new Xbox 360 to my network (via a mac)- I have a lousy TimeWarner router with only one port, and I dont want to buy a new router.

Does anyone know how to get the 360 Network Adapter on the CAG status? I dont want to pay $100 bucks for the adapter that should have been built in!

I searched ebay, and they are still running around $60 and up- they also have third party pelican ones there for around $40- anyone tried those? Are they any good?

Let me know if there are any deals that can help me get connected for cheap!

Did you try running a cat5 cable from a network card in your computer? Should be able to bridge the connection.

You can do it the old fashioned way with a wire as suggested above for very little coinage.

Otherwise, you might get lucky when stootsi. woot. or thingfling has some refurbished or open box for sale at a discounted rate.

^ I meant if the computer was connected wirelessly run a cat5 cable from the network card and bridge the connection so you would still be "wireless"

I know its not the ideal solution, use at your own risk, but while you wait for a good price, you can do this:

How to use your laptop as an adapter

This shows how to use your wireless laptop/desktop as the adapter for the xbox. Check it out, the instructions are all there, and in the comments or the last page of instructions is how to reverse it. I've been using my laptop like this for a while.

I use an old xbox wireless one, its black and big and ugly but it works fine on my 360. Maybe they are cheaper than the 360 ones. I think I paid 60 for it new when I first got my xbox. Surely they are cheaper than that now since I'm sure most people use the white 360 ones.

Thanks for the tips guys!

Does the old xbox ones still work with the 360? I heard that the firmware updates on the 360 prevented using them for some users?

The Wifi Adapter is $69.99 (used) on Gamestop.com, and $82.96 (new) on Amazon.com

I think its really worth the money to buy the adapter, for the tech packed into that thing its fairly decently priced.

Good luck with the decision making.

If you can find a Linksys WRT54G for cheap (I got mine for $40CAD), you can flash it with DD-WRT firmware and use it as a wireless network bridge. I have my 360 connected directly to it, and the WRT54G connects wirelessly to my main router. Works like a charm :)

[quote name='xXSh4d0wB4n3Xx']The Wifi Adapter is $69.99 (used) on Gamestop.com[/quote]

Use coupons CAG16 and SAVER.. gets it under $60.. not sure the exact total bc I didn't log in

[quote name='Scorch']Use coupons CAG16 and SAVER.. gets it under $60.. not sure the exact total bc I didn't log in[/quote]
cag16 is only valid on used games mang.

I use my laptop to provide the "wireless" its easy, and super cheap (or free if your xbox came with an ethernet cable).

I have a Linksys game adapter WGA54G that's generally worked pretty well in the past. My new place has an ethernet jack two feet from the Xbox, though, so I just use that. I'd sell the Linksys for $30 shipped if you want

I advise against the Pelican 360 wireless network adapter. It has compatibility problems with some routers. Also, it requires you to configure it, and that software is not Vista compatible.

Ill repeat what the others say. Just get the adapter for the original xbox. It can be gotten pretty cheap and works flawlessly. Honestly though, for what any wireless adapter is going to cost you can get a good router that will allow you to have a much faster wired connection and youll have more ports for any future consoles or computers.

bread's done
Back