I sent a XBL idea to Maj. Nelson... What do you think?

Mookyjooky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
42 (100%)
FROM THE EMAIL MESSAGE, W/ HIS RESPONSE.
----------------------------------------------------------------

(Maj. Nelson's Response)
Thx. I’ll pass this along

(Original Email)
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 9:18 AM
To: Xbox Live Programming
Subject: I have a suggestion. (Should only take a min. of your time, thx!)

I cant seem to get anyone in the Xbox Live support to tell me where to send a suggestion, so I'm hoping you could find a minute or two to look this over.

I have an idea and what I think would be a great selling point. Of course you geniuses of the XBL realm may have already thought of this, but I figured I'd throw it out at you anyways.

Here's the pitch:
"XBL and Skype together for in-game phone calls."

What I mean by this, is say you're sitting playing some serious sessions of Gears of War and you think to yourself, I could seriously use some pizza… well, ahead of this moment, you downloaded the latest XBL patch, and it has the Skype update. You went through your phonebook / Cell phone and put in some numbers….

434-992-3393 = Dominoes Pizza
434-534-5245 = Crazy Chinese
434-636-4322 = Boston Market
434-234-5235 = Papa Johns

Then with the numbers already preset, you hit the large XBL "X" center button and you could use that XBOX 360 logo at the bottom (I don’t think it does anything) and use it as a Skype button. (or at least 1/2 of it) Then it could bring a blade pane on the right, with a list….

---------------------------------
Dominoes Pizza
Crazy Chinese
Boston Market <
Papa Johns

Pick the "Boston Market" one and order some delivery.

I would easily pay 10-20 cents a minute for this feature. It doesn’t have to be really cheap, since you'll only use it a handful of times, for a few minutes each. Maybe the XBL Sales people could strike up a deal with Skype, where you download minutes using the Marketplace Points and when they're used up, you have to buy more.

Either way, people are lazy. And I think that this feature would be awesome.

So, thank you Maj. Nelson for your time, and this isn't the first idea I've come up with for XBL, if you're interested in hearing more. Let me know, otherwise, I'll leave you to your work, I know you're busy.

Your lazy :p

But i like your idea...It's cool to see major nelson reply and say something like "i'll pass this along...". Make you feel like he cares. That's great.

What i'd like to see in the next update would be a XBL-Calendar.

Where you could plan games or events with people on your friends list and when d-day comes BOOM you get a notification reminding you to play GoW against your friend...of course your friend would also receive a notification.

Couldn't you just pick a phone or cell phone and have the same effect for less money. I talk on the phone while playing games a little (granted I don't use a XBL headset and use the cell headset instead). Still it's a neat idea, but I think charging anything over $.10 a minute would be too much (plus hope the delivery place isn't too busy and puts you on hold). Skype through the 360 itself is interesting enough, I kinda like it.

I just got the idea from people being able to order Dominoes from Everquest 2, just taking it to the next level. It seems to be doing well.

Sorry, but I just don't see the value of it. I think it would make more sense for the system to store a few of your favorite orders for a restaurant, and for you to be able to order electronically, possibly even paying with MS points.

Tip Of The Day: When you're playing on your Xbox 360 or watching a movie make sure you bring your cell phone or cordless house phone and place it next to you. If you get hungry for some carry out just pause the game and place your order. Hang up the phone and unpause the game.

Cost: $0

[quote name='jasonlives13']Tip Of The Day: When you're playing on your Xbox 360 or watching a movie make sure you bring your cell phone or cordless house phone and place it next to you. If you get hungry for some carry out just pause the game and place your order. Hang up the phone and unpause the game.

Cost: $0[/quote]

Oh you're so brilliant! Thanks for your gloriously obvious input. Your mom must be insanely proud.

This was just a basic idea for use of Skype, not the only use of it.

Also, not all of us have a home phone, (like myself, I have a data loop for my 8mb DSL) and I often leave my cell phone uncharged, at my girlfriends house, or in my car.

But Jasonlives... seriously, you should go on Jeopardy.

Meh. Good idea conceptually but I'd be turned off by the fact that it would simply add ONE MORE feature on XBL that I have to pay for.

Many chains like pappa johns have robust online ordering. I could see them partnering with microsoft to put an order system on live. That would be kind of cool. But the ability to call them and order, I doubt it.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Lamest idea ever. And I seriously doubt he passed it along, he was probably just being nice.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts.

"I'll pass this along" = leave me alone. I could write to him suggesting an XBox Live Toilet so I don't have to get up to take a shit and I would get the same response. Maybe even with a bonus "lol" thrown in.

Just get off your lazy ass and pick up the phone. I'm sure he's dying to hear those other suggestions, though. Especially if they are all as good as this one.

[quote name='jasonlives13']Tip Of The Day: When you're playing on your Xbox 360 or watching a movie make sure you bring your cell phone or cordless house phone and place it next to you. If you get hungry for some carry out just pause the game and place your order. Hang up the phone and unpause the game.

Cost: $0[/QUOTE]

Really? Cost: $0? I didn't realize they gave away free phones and cell phones? AND the plans are free also? Wow, where do you obtain all these FREE items?
/sarcasm

The service sounds pretty legit to me. But I'm confused on why it has to cost anything? Skype calls are free in the US correct? So all I'm really doing is using it with my 360 instead of my PC. Sounds like MS should pony up the cash and add it as another feature the 360 can do that the PS3 can't.

[quote name='Bigsauce']Really? Cost: $0? I didn't realize they gave away free phones and cell phones? AND the plans are free also? Wow, where do you obtain all these FREE items?
/sarcasm.[/QUOTE]
In fairness, the cell phones are free with the plans.

Having Skype, or a system like it, in XBL is not a bad idea for some, but I can't really imagine it being used too much. Who knows? Though, if MS does release a web browser (like Sony), then I would not be surprised to see some games have links in them in some form or fashion that would launch the web browsers. In turn, they could take you to Domino's online ordering site, similar to how I think Everquest does it. Of course, the real question is--do we want this kind of advertising and branding in our console games?

I want it so you can set your a different theme for everyday of the week. I change my theme alot to make it look different. I think that would be cool.

i like this skype idea thing, as long as it's free. I mean, skype out is free on computers, so why not for 360's. I mean, i would be fine with a little skype advertisement somewhere, if we could get skype for free

[quote name='KaneRobot']"I'll pass this along" = leave me alone. I could write to him suggesting an XBox Live Toilet so I don't have to get up to take a shit and I would get the same response. Maybe even with a bonus "lol" thrown in.

Just get off your lazy ass and pick up the phone. I'm sure he's dying to hear those other suggestions, though. Especially if they are all as good as this one.[/QUOTE]

Ok that does it. Someone else has to come up with a Worse Idea and see if Major Nelson gives you the same response.

That'd be hot to order a Pizza with Microsoft Points.

"2 Large Pepperoni please, with 2 liter diet coke."
"Anything else?"
"That's it"
"That comes to 1200 points"

You guys do know the end result of your lazyness, right?

eq2pizza.jpg

Yeah... it's not that hard to pick up a phone and call the local pizza joint or *gasp* walk to the refridgerator and make yourself something to eat.

[quote name='furyk']
Yeah... it's not that hard to pick up a phone and call the local pizza joint or *gasp* walk to the refridgerator and make yourself something to eat.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this idea it the antithesis of Nintendo's new system. I know MS wants to set themselves apart but I doubt they want to do it with the sloth angle.

This is a really dumb idea.

It works for Everquest II because it's an MMORPG. I can't think of one game on X360 where I would be so wrapped up in it, I couldn't pause the game or turn off the system to go get food.

I'd much rather see them do something useful like allowing me to stream my online XM/Sirius to my console while I play.

I'm only down for this if I can also call someone to pre-chew the food for me and then regurgitate it into my mouth and then rub my stomach afterward. But seriously I wouldn't mind if they added it, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay extra for it.

bread's done
Back