I sold a car and transmission went out what should i do?

paz9x

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
this is gonna be long
Sooooo.
my youngest brother is a mess in all facets of life. i have an extra car that has served me well since i bought it from my best friend almost 5 years ago.
He said he couldnt make his car payments on his car and had to let it go and wanted to buy my car.
He kept working on me and even had my mom working on me to sell it to him.
so i gave in and told him id sell it for $3500 which is a good $1000 less than i could get for it.

so he hassles me about the price and i tell him go buy another one if he thinks thats too much (its not, its a great price, one he couldnt get elsewhere)
I also agreed to let him pay me $2000 up front and the rest a month later. he owes people in my family thousands of $ and he never repays people. I told him if he screws me, him and I are over as brothers (we were best friends our whole lives until a few years ago)

so im away at work and apparently the tranny went out (he sucks at driving manual)
he said he has it at aamco and they want $2400 minimum to rebuild it and maybe more. they said they were going to check other causes first.
so he calls and says he wants to return the car and get his money back.
I told him no way, but that id be willing to work with him as far as the repair cost and the remaining $1200 he owes me.

That car was perfect while i had it. never a problem, tranny was always fine, he has it almost 2 weeks and this happens.
I dont trust his driving and if he had done something to damage it like missshift or something he would certainly not own up to it. I know the car had no problems when he took it and i find it hard to believe that the transmission could completely fail in that time period without something happening to it.

I didnt tell him but i figured id give him an extra month to pay the remaining amount and he could take 1/2 the cost of repairs out of that.
though im pretty sure that wont be enough for him and i can see him just not paying me the remaining money he owes me.

So what do you guys think?
he is my brother and i love him but i dont believe that the tranny just failed, that car was in too good of condition and too problem free for too long.
he has owned 4 cars previous and all of them where either totaled or damaged beyond repair.
he is the most irresponsible person ive ever known.

[quote name='Liquid 2']fuck 'im.[/QUOTE]

if he wasnt my little brother id say tough shit.
thing is he owes me $1200 more dollars.

Sorry dude, but this seems like the kind of situation you'll have to work out by yourself with the help of your family. Good luck.

[quote name='paz9x']I didnt tell him but i figured id give him an extra month to pay the remaining amount and he could take 1/2 the cost of repairs out of that.
though im pretty sure that wont be enough for him and i can see him just not paying me the remaining money he owes me.

So what do you guys think?
he is my brother and i love him but i dont believe that the tranny just failed, that car was in too good of condition and too problem free for too long.
he has owned 4 cars previous and all of them where either totaled or damaged beyond repair.
he is the most irresponsible person ive ever known.[/QUOTE]I don't think he deserves any pity.

[quote name='Maklershed']How long until you realized "she" had a wang? And did that factor in your negotiating and price?[/QUOTE]

I thought the same thing. OP really picked the wrong word to abbreviate.

2 weeks is plenty of time for him to fuck up the transmission with his bad gear shifting.

I'd tell him to fuck off too, unless you want to keep paying for your brother's mistakes. He needs to grow up and take responsibility.

$$$

or

lebowski5421oa5.jpg

Tell him you won't even consider helping him pay the repair costs unless he pays you the remaining money he owes you for the car.

thats an idea rocko.
I appreciate people input.

Like i said if he didnt owe me more money itd be a bit easier to navigate.
i cant say you need to fix it because in effect id be paying $1200 for that because he wouldnt pay me.

Honestly, this sounds like such a minefield, things are liable to go really badly. This is how "I haven't talked to my brother in eight years"-type falling outs happen. I seriously suggest calling in the 'rents and doing whatever they say.

I can't see how you could screw up a transmission in two weeks. Almost all transmissions built within the past 20 years have auto-synchros in the gears, making it pretty impossible to grind it into gear. And even if he did manage to grind it into gear, the damn shifter probably bent to a 90 degree angle while doing it. The only way I can see him fucking it up is if he was going 100 and threw the car into 1st gear. But even that might not screw it up, as I throw my car into 2nd while going 70, and it hasn't hurt it yet. Try to find out exactly how the transmission was damaged. Maybe it wasn't his fault.

But if it was his fault, fuck him. I have a family member like that as well. Total deadbeat, takes advantage of everybody, fucks their life up, then expects sympathy. I can only say one thing: don't offer any sympathy. Tell him you'll let the money slide a little longer since he has to pay to fix the car, but tell him you want it ASAP.

do you have a junk yard anywhere near where you live. If so go there and talk to the people who work there. My transmission went out in my 1988 park ave. Every place i went to wanted 1000 to 1500 bucks to get it fixxed. Found this junk yard and they pulled a transmittion out of a wrecked car and put it in mine (make sure they put it in right)

total price little under 500 bucks..

Dude, it's just money, who cares.

He's your brother. That's much more important.

The solution to your problem is to stop being so damn materialistic.

[quote name='zewone']2 weeks is plenty of time for him to fuck up the transmission with his bad gear shifting.

I'd tell him to fuck off too, unless you want to keep paying for your brother's mistakes. He needs to grow up and take responsibility.[/quote]

This.

[quote name='Alcedes']2400 for a clutch? check yelp for a better mechanic.[/QUOTE]

that was for a transmission rebuild and install. which IMO is still to high for that transmission.

[quote name='Koggit']Dude, it's just money, who cares.

The solution to your problem is to stop being so damn materialistic.[/quote]Heh, depends on the relative, i have family members who I'd pick money over any day.

The solution to your problem is to stop being so damn materialistic.[/QUOTE]

You can't be serious.

fuckin' commie.

The solution to your problem is to stop being so damn materialistic.[/quote]
No, no, no. I know exactly the type of person his brother is, because my mom is the same way. The only way they're going to straighten up is to be given some tough love. Feeling sorry for him and giving him money isn't going to help him become more responsible.

And yeah, tell your brother to pick up a transmission from a junk yard. You can get a transmission for under $100, and you can put it in yourself. (About 2 days of hard work and he'll get it. Assuming he's never done one before.)

Tough, tough situation. Kudos to you for giving your brother another chance to begin with. I think you have two reasonable ways to go at this point.

1. Your bro still owes you $1200, which is half of what it is going to cost to get the transmission fixed. You could just say that you guys are cutting off even, he owes you no more money for the car, and you owe no money for the new transmission.

2. Tell your brother tough luck which as other have said, may cause your brother to never talk to you again. Something to consider is, if he bought the car from a dealership, he would get some kind of warranty I am assuming.

My truck was going strong and never had any problems with it at all. However, just a few weeks ago, the transmission decides to go kaput. Who knows what really happened to your transmission though.

I don't envy your situation and hope that you and your brother can come to reasonable terms that keep you guys talking. Best of luck to you!

well i think it's safe to say he own't pay you for the remainder of the car but imho you don't have to give him his money back at all... this happened to me bought a car from a dealer when i was in HS (well my dad payed for half but i digress) and the tranny went out about 2 months later... car quit going into reverse... let me tell you the dealership certinally didn't offer to buy the car back, but on the upside my dad payed for the repair ... in 2000 it was like 850 bucks to fix it it was an automatic ford tempo 1992 if i recall correctly...

any way the delership wouldn't help me out at all... and this is a business transaction w/ your brother, he needs to think of you as the dealership and not as his brother.

[quote name='zewone']2 weeks is plenty of time for him to fuck up the transmission with his bad gear shifting.

I'd tell him to fuck off too, unless you want to keep paying for your brother's mistakes. He needs to grow up and take responsibility.[/quote]

I agree with what zewone said.

[quote name='dafoomie']Never get financially involved with family.[/quote]

exactly , or friends.

I have had numerous friends buy cars from friends of the family and sorts, all have ended with the car either breaking early and people not helping or unknown repairs coming up that were never mentioned before.

Advice:

Work some sort of finical agreement out. Whether that be paying half or some other percentage; either way I wouldn't let me get out of paying you for the car.

[quote name='Liquid 2']fuck 'im.[/quote]

[quote name='Liquid 2']I don't think he deserves any pity.[/quote]

[quote name='dafoomie']Never get financially involved with family.[/quote]

[quote name='zewone']I'd tell him to fuck off too, unless you want to keep paying for your brother's mistakes. He needs to grow up and take responsibility.[/quote]

[quote name='Access_Denied'] But if it was his fault, fuck him.[/quote]

^^^ All that.

Kiss the $1200 goodbye, and wash your hands of the entire thing.

Don't do business with family, and don't loan money to family/friends with the expectation you'll get it back.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Hehe.

Tranny.

I'm twelve.[/quote]

:applause::applause::applause:

BTW, I agree. Not a good idea to sell things to family. It makes things ugly between family.

I'd say go to court man..... he can't prove you sold him a lemon, and you can't prove he fucked up the transmission........ let the judge decide......... Judge Judy!!!!

That's why I don't do business with family........ it gets messy often

Dude, your younger brother is one lucky motherfucker. If it were my family he would have caught a beat down several years ago. So I say, help your brother out by beating the fear of God into him. Or at the very least, find out about the transmission, then if it was indeed his fault, confront him about it. If he denies it break his nose.

Give him back $1000 and take the financial hit.. Tell him that is all you can afford. He may be an ass and a deadbeat, but $3k isn't worth losing a brother for the rest of your life. Just give him what you can afford and consider it a loss.. Don't ever "loan" to family members again. If someone in your family needs something, you never loan.. You either GIVE IT to them, or you don't. Loans to family can only end badly...cars or otherwise.

Id say tuff Sh!t. But you said youve had the car for 5 years or so. depending on the millage you put on it that transmission should have been almost done anyways. No offense but your bro sounds like a slap dick and may need an intervention of some sort so he can shape up.

The solution to your problem is to stop being so damn materialistic.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. It's not worth losing a family member over money. Just tell him to use the $1200 he owes you on a new transmission.

[quote name='dafoomie']Never get financially involved with family.[/QUOTE]

Listen to this man. My brother and his wife owes my mom like 25k and they still don't want to pay her back. Hell, they borrow from my sister and his wife gets pissy when my sister ask them for the 2k back.

[quote name='Capitalizt']Give him back $1000 and take the financial hit.. Tell him that is all you can afford. He may be an ass and a deadbeat, but $3k isn't worth losing a brother for the rest of your life. Just give him what you can afford and consider it a loss.. Don't ever "loan" to family members again. If someone in your family needs something, you never loan.. You either GIVE IT to them, or you don't. Loans to family can only end badly...cars or otherwise.[/quote]

Wait - give the guy another grand on top of the 1200 he's already loaned him, with no hope of getting it back?

Do you do budget deficit planning for congress?

i started the op off by saying hes a mess in every facet of life. this isnt a one time thing here, ive dealt with a LOT of shit with him and given a LOT.

I dont deal with family normally in these matters, one of the reasons i kept turning down his offers to buy the car was to avoid situations like this. Like i said, i should not have sold the car to him, my soft side got the best of me.

im fairly adept with mechanics and cars specifically, there are signs when a transmission is beginning to fail, the car displayed none of those.
because of his irresponsibility and his driving I find it likely he did something which resulted in the failure.

I discussed it with my mom (who he lives with) last night. she thought taking money off to cover part of the repair was fine and was going to talk to him.

I think if he doesnt want to go for that. im going to offer him $1000 to take the car back.
ill use that to get it fixed and put the car back in my garage.
well see what happens when i get home friday.

Sounds like your brother has reverse Midas touch. Everything he touches turns to feces.

This option sounds best. And you've learned the lesson never to deal with friends or family.

[quote name='Michael Scott']
1. Your bro still owes you $1200, which is half of what it is going to cost to get the transmission fixed. You could just say that you guys are cutting off even, he owes you no more money for the car, and you owe no money for the new transmission.ission though.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but your an asshole to your brother, and Im sure your giving us a biased opinion too. I mean thats what family if for, right? Plus cars can just be fine one day and bad the next, with the shitty parts they use now a days anyways. And after 5 years, its bound to break, but then again he should have considered that. So my advice is that you make him pay for half the damages RIGHT AWAY and you'll pay the other half, and then hell still owe you the rest on the car.

[quote name='KillJoi99']Sorry, but your an asshole to your brother, and Im sure your giving us a biased opinion too. I mean thats what family if for, right? Plus cars can just be fine one day and bad the next, with the shitty parts they use now a days anyways. And after 5 years, its bound to break, but then again he should have considered that. So my advice is that you make him pay for half the damages RIGHT AWAY and you'll pay the other half, and then hell still owe you the rest on the car.[/QUOTE]

So im an asshole, but your advice is to do what im doing? uh ok.

Id appreciate keeping any reply out of my thread, im not interested.

AAMCO screwed me in my transmission rebuild... its common practice for that company.

Do they keep coming out and saying they think its something else, or they cant put their finger on it yet? If so, get the fuck out of there. Tow it ANYWHERE else.

I ended up owing 2,200 dollars on a transmission rebuild when it was a CO2 sensor... a 500 dollar repair AT MOST!

Also, he's your brother, in 7 years, when you havent spoken for the past 7, you'd wish you'd give him the money back.

[quote name='paz9x']So im an asshole, but your advice is to do what im doing? uh ok.

Id appreciate keeping any reply out of my thread, im not interested.[/quote]

Coming from the person that says he will disown his brother.

Come on dude, you ask for an outside opinion and then when its not the same as yours, you get mad. You asked and I told. You act like an asshole to your brother. What if you 'disowned him' and he keeled over tomorrow. Dont ask for stuff in a public forum if your not interested in hearing all angles.

[quote name='KillJoi99']Come on dude, you ask for an outside opinion and then when its not the same as yours, you get mad. You asked and I told.[/quote]

:whistle2:s

You called him an asshole, and your "advice" was to do what he already said he planned on doing.

[quote name='Rocko']:whistle2:s

You called him an asshole, and your "advice" was to do what he already said he planned on doing.[/quote]

him and I are over as brothers

How is that not an asshole thing to say? :roll:

bread's done
Back