I think I've run in with a scammer on ebay

mrx001

CAGiversary!
Feedback
37 (100%)
So,I sold $25 Gamestop giftcard to a bljafour. I shipped it this morning.Fast forward this afternoon I put up another $25 Gamestop giftcard up for sale and the same guy buys it.I check the guys feedback and the feedback of his buyers.Sure enough I find out the guy is just buying up giftcards from all places and so are his buyers.Now I scratched off the pin number on the Gamestop giftcard and took a picture of it so if I did get scammed I can use the giftcard before it got to the scammer.I don't know if the guy is a scammer but his shit does look suspicious.I sent an email to ebay requesting they investigate.fucking ebay.Requesting advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like all his transactions have been buying up gift cards. I don't know what this person does but if eBay hasn't banned his account yet I think your ok. He's been doing it for over 2 months so I don't know. Did you physically send the card or just send the code? If you sent the card I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Not sure how this qualifies as an "other deal or deal request", so I'm going to go out on a limb and say: WRONG FORUM.

Why bother selling giftcartds on Ebay anyway? Sell them to a friend and save yourself ebay fees and a whole lot of headache.

[quote name='skiizim']It looks like all his transactions have been buying up gift cards. I don't know what this person does but if eBay hasn't banned his account yet I think your ok. He's been doing it for over 2 months so I don't know. Did you physically send the card or just send the code? If you sent the card I don't think you have anything to worry about.[/QUOTE]

I sent the physical gift card.

Trouble is, if he is a scammer, that means he will be willing to lie. If he is going to do that, he can say the card did not work or was already used - which would most likely be after he used it, so you would be out your money and item.

If you are really worried about it, you might want to redeem the giftcard now and refund his purchase with a brief explination. Remember, he can leave you feedback, so be sure to handle it gently.

[quote name='sassylaurie']Trouble is, if he is a scammer, that means he will be willing to lie. If he is going to do that, he can say the card did not work or was already used - which would most likely be after he used it, so you would be out your money and item.

If you are really worried about it, you might want to redeem the giftcard now and refund his purchase with a brief explination. Remember, he can leave you feedback, so be sure to handle it gently.[/QUOTE]

uhh... if he was a scammer, ebay would have had 1686 disputes filed and would pull his account

also

it's $25, not the end of the world

I'm not sure why there's concern on this one - the buyer has a ton of positive feedback going back for years. Dude buys a ton of gift cards on eBay - you sold two and he bought both.

Am I missing something on why you're concerned about this being a scam?

If he's running a scam, I can guarantee it's not over a couple $25 GameStop gift cards.

Not really sure what your exact concern is, if the guy paid you for the card. He's got way too many transactions to not have been shut down by now if he was pulling scams like chargebacks, or whatever you're worried about.

There are people who buy & sell lots and lots of giftcards because they like to *ahem* "diversify" their money, but I wouldn't waste my time worrying about why they buy them or what they do with them afterwards.

In actual fact, if I were him, I'd be more suspicious of you for scratching off the number before selling it. :irony:

The guys legit. Looking at the "feedback left for others" can give you an indication of what type of buyer your dealing. And this buyers "left for" is all green, a pretty good sign he's not out to screw the competition.

What the hell? He looks suspicious?! What did he do that would even make you think he's a scammer? Just because he buys lots of giftcards .. ? & are you totally ignoring the fact that he has almost 1700 feedback at a 100% positive? You must be super paranoid or something.

Poor guy's gonna get a giftcard with the code already scratched off. Now you might have a little trouble on your end.

P.S. Wrong Forum.

ha, what a dick move.

some guy had a good buying experience with you and decides to buy again and you turn around and report him? what an asshole.

he's dumping his paypal balance on giftcards so he can buy real world things. he probably doesn't have a bank account. ffs he has over 1k good rep.

[quote name='shosh']ha, what a dick move.

some guy had a good buying experience with you and decides to buy again and you turn around and report him? what an asshole.

he's dumping his paypal balance on giftcards so he can buy real world things. he probably doesn't have a bank account. ffs he has over 1k good rep.[/QUOTE]
My concern was that he was making clone accounts and padding his feedback.Making it easier for someone to scam someone.Seen this situation many times before.Just being cautious.

Some of the sellers on his feedback have more feedback than him and sell multiple other non giftcard items to hundreds of other buyers who also have a lot of feedback.

You should be fine. Of course...the whole ebay userbase could be just one small group of people working around the clock making fake feedback and transactions. *cue the suspenseful music*

Dude is a total scammer. He's got a massive team of people acting as buyers and sellers who pad each other's feedback as well as his own. Everyone leaving them feedback looks legit, but they're just more clone accounts. This has been going on for years and it's way bigger than you could possibly imagine. All for this single opportunity to screw you out of $25.

And you fell right into his trap.

bread's done
Back