I think my car is frozen (need some advice)

Mattte

CAGiversary!
Feedback
87 (100%)
So I went to start my car this morning and it won't even turn over. None of the lights work, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the battery (frozen?). It was raining yesterday for a bit, then turned to hail and now its around -5 outside.

I had my battery and alternator replaced about a year ago so hopefully that isn't the problem again.

Anyone know of anything I can do to get my car started?

i would see if any neighbors are home or call aaa to give you a jump start.....
do the lights flicker when you try to turn it on?

PS cars freeze at about -20 thru -40 i think....

[quote name='Mattte']So I went to start my car this morning and it won't even turn over. None of the lights work, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the battery (frozen?). It was raining yesterday for a bit, then turned to hail and now its around -5 outside.

I had my battery and alternator replaced about a year ago so hopefully that isn't the problem again.

Anyone know of anything I can do to get my car started?[/QUOTE]

sounds like your battery is dead. Check your wires, you might have a loose wire or a bad spark plug. my car did this everytime it rained. one of my spark plugs was very loose and one of my wires was bad .

it got down to - 8 last weekend with - 29 with wind chill and my battery didnt freeze

so hopefully its a simple plug or wire

Thanks for the replies. So its probably safe to get a jump start? I've been reading online its not a good idea to jump a frozen battery (I guess it can explode)

I'll have to go check out the wires, thats how my battery died last time. Guy didn't hook it up properly.

Wind chill is at -27 right now too.

Pop the top and look inside and see if it's frozen. If nothings crystalized give it a go. If you had bad wiring before then chances are it's that again.

Surprised no lame person responded "you should move to a warmer place" like they did to my thread.

Sounds like the battery. Glad Cags know their stuff and can help you figure it out.

[quote name='Magehart']Pop the top and look inside and see if it's frozen. If nothings crystalized give it a go. If you had bad wiring before then chances are it's that again.[/QUOTE]

This. Without water, maintenance batteries don't properly hold a charge/recharge. If you have a MF battery...can't say.

Wisconsin.

Anyways...turns out my battery just drained for no apparant reason. Went and had it checked out and everything is fine.

bread's done
Back