I think theres something wrong with my Wii and I'm freaking out! Please help!

Sofa King Kool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Ok, so I was just playing Zelda and I started to notice this weird, kind of underlying static in the picture. I figured it was just a wierd glitch in the cutscene I was watching, so I ignored it. But then I kept playing and the static seemed to get worse and worse. Then I started to worry about it. I tried putting in Red Steel and it happened on there too. I checked all the wires and everything is secured tightly. I even thought that maybe the space heater was affecting it. So I unplugged it, but the static didn't go away. Somebody please tell me whats wrong! I'm really starting to get worried about it.

hmm... sounds like something's wrong with the GPU. Maybe.

Unplug the system from everything over night and come back the next day and see if it still does it. If it does, call Nintendo right away, see if they have any solutions, and if not, enjoy one of their amazingly fast customer service replacement programs.

[quote name='daroga']hmm... sounds like something's wrong with the GPU. Maybe.

Unplug the system from everything over night and come back the next day and see if it still does it. If it does, call Nintendo right away, see if they have any solutions, and if not, enjoy one of their amazingly fast customer service replacement programs.[/quote]

I know you said to wait until morning, but I just unplugged everything then plugged it all back in and it's still there.

If I do a replacement order, won't I lose all of my saved data?

[quote name='evanl85']Yeah, I'd grab an SD card and put all of your saves on there before shipping it out.[/quote]
Damn. Is that the only way? I really, really can't afford to buy one of those right now. I've got so many Christmas presents to buy and loans to pay off. I really cannot spend another dime on myself until after Christmas.

[quote name='d00k']Damn. Is that the only way? I really, really can't afford to buy one of those right now. I've got so many Christmas presents to buy and loans to pay off. I really cannot spend another dime on myself until after Christmas.[/quote]The only other way would be if they repair your console instead of replace it, but that would depend on what the actual problem is. Just buy an SD card, get your saves on it, get your new console, put your saves back, and return the SD card.

[quote name='d00k']Damn. Is that the only way? I really, really can't afford to buy one of those right now. I've got so many Christmas presents to buy and loans to pay off. I really cannot spend another dime on myself until after Christmas.[/quote]http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=4816907&st=sd&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=1051826086226

Cheapest one I found, it is $15 plus tax. Probably avaiable in the store, not a bad price either and I am sure you can find $15 in pocket change somewhere.

[quote name='d00k']Damn. Is that the only way? I really, really can't afford to buy one of those right now. I've got so many Christmas presents to buy and loans to pay off. I really cannot spend another dime on myself until after Christmas.[/quote] Well, it's up to you. AS botticus said, buy one, use it and then return it if allowed, or this one is only $15 shipped, if you don't want to go the sketchy return method or wait till Nintendo can fix you actual system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820160024

Be advised, if you have any Wii Points or games on your console, you'll need to send it in to get them transfered or your system repaired. It's lame, but I think that's the way it works at the moment.

I don't think it has anything to do with the System itself and it's most likely your A/V Cables. Do you know anyone else that has a Wii you can try there cables out on your system?

-OR- How about a different A/V Input Jack on your TV? The one you have it hooked up to kno wmight be shitting out on you. Try everything instead of frreaking out. It maybe something real easy.

also try a diffrent tv. who knows, what you want to do is try to narrow the problem. If other people have a wii, you can test your cables, if you have another tv you can use, you can test to see if its a tv not likeing the wii. If you get this static stuff on another tv with someone elses av cables in a compleatly diffrent location, you should take back your wii.

apparently you cant transfer your saves even with an SD card. Game saves are tied specifically to the Wii on which they were made. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

FSUddin

[quote name='FSUddin']apparently you cant transfer your saves even with an SD card. Game saves are tied specifically to the Wii on which they were made. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

FSUddin[/quote]That's wrong. There's a whole website devote to sharing gamesaves, wiisave.com.

If your firmware goes corrupt though, the files it copies to the SD card won't be useable in another Wii.

It's probably just your cables or the TV. You wouldn't see static if there was anything wrong with the GPU.

Static is an analog problem caused by interference. Either the shielding in your cables are bad or it's the TV.

[quote name='Blaine']It's probably just your cables or the TV. You wouldn't see static if there was anything wrong with the GPU.

Static is an analog problem caused by interference. Either the shielding in your cables are bad or it's the TV.[/quote]My guess from his description is that it's not actual static like you might think of on a TV, but the bizzare graphiocal distrotions that start to pop up when the GPU is either damaged or running too warmly. This isn't a cable issue, because cable issues don't degenerate like he experienced.

GPU .... OMFG... I love how the internet has allowed for kids to come up with half-baked ideas like that.

Yeah, it's probably your MPEG processor, drop a JPEG on that algorithm, and pump up the OHMs, ... while you're at it, reformat your flux capacitor. CSI style,... it won't work unless you're wearing an Armani suit, and or some new Choos. :O

[quote name='drone8888']GPU .... OMFG... I love how the internet has allowed for kids to come up with half-baked ideas like that.

Yeah, it's probably your MPEG processor, drop a JPEG on that algorithm, and pump up the OHMs, ... while you're at it, reformat your flux capacitor. CSI style,... it won't work unless you're wearing an Armani suit, and or some new Choos. :O[/quote]
GPU, you know, the video processor?

Like daroga and I said, it's probably not really static, but artifacts from the GPU overheating or for some other reason not working properly. It's the first thing I thought since it seems like it was only happening in games (when the GPU would be stressed the most) and got progressively worse. That's exactly what would happen if the GPU was overheating.

I know what it looks like and how somebody would describe it since the same thing happened on my computer when I overclocked my video card a little too much.

[quote name='SpazX']GPU, you know, the video processor?

Like daroga and I said, it's probably not really static, but artifacts from the GPU overheating or for some other reason not working properly. It's the first thing I thought since it seems like it was only happening in games (when the GPU would be stressed the most) and got progressively worse. That's exactly what would happen if the GPU was overheating.

I know what it looks like and how somebody would describe it since the same thing happened on my computer when I overclocked my video card a little too much.[/QUOTE]

OR you can do what me and other CAG's suggested. Having the GPU fucked is prolly the worst case scenario. Why not have the OP atleast try what we suggested? The dumbest thing the OP could do would be to send it into Nintendo without tring our methods. What does he have to lose 5 minutes?

EDIT: OP to prove us wrong since SpazX and Daroga think the GPU is overheating turn your shit off and let it cool down. Then play some games. There should be no static or artifacts right away. If there are then Daroga and SpazX theory is pretty much bunked.

[quote name='pimpinc333']OR you can do what me and other CAG's suggested. Having the GPU fucked is prolly the worst case scenario. Why not have the OP atleast try what we suggested? The dumbest thing the OP could do would be to send it into Nintendo without tring our methods. What does he have to lose 5 minutes?

EDIT: OP to prove us wrong since SpazX and Daroga think the GPU is overheating turn your shit off and let it cool down. Then play some games. There should be no static or artifacts right away. If there are then Daroga and SpazX theory is pretty much bunked.[/quote]

I never said not to check the cables, drone8888 was just being a dick for some reason so I thought I could explain it better to him.

It doesn't seem like it would be the cables since it isn't always fucked up, but my all means do everything possible before sending it in.

[quote name='SpazX']I never said not to check the cables, drone8888 was just being a dick for some reason so I thought I could explain it better to him.

It doesn't seem like it would be the cables since it isn't always fucked up, but my all means do everything possible before sending it in.[/QUOTE]
Ok. I thought you 2 were jumping to conclusion that he should send it in before tring anythign else. I was just WTF for that moment lol.

[quote name='SpazX']It doesn't seem like it would be the cables since it isn't always fucked up, but my all means do everything possible before sending it in.[/quote]

From his posting it sounds like it is always shaqed up. It happened suddenly but is there for every game. Dollars to donuts it's a problem with the cables (a short in the connector causing interference, bad shielding that finally went- perhaps due to the space heater) or a problem with the TV.

If it wasn't the TV or cables the problem would then be the video encoder that it's somehow generating video improperly, whether it's true static or just visual artifacting.

That's assuming that it's running directly to the TV and not going through a VCR or anything. If it is, then the VCR is suspect #1.

[quote name='Blaine']From his posting it sounds like it is always shaqed up. It happened suddenly but is there for every game. Dollars to donuts it's a problem with the cables (a short in the connector causing interference, bad shielding that finally went- perhaps due to the space heater) or a problem with the TV.

If it wasn't the TV or cables the problem would then be the video encoder that it's somehow generating video improperly, whether it's true static or just visual artifacting.

That's assuming that it's running directly to the TV and not going through a VCR or anything. If it is, then the VCR is suspect #1.[/QUOTE]

Good Stuff. I wasn't thinking of a VCR causing the problem.

I'll try all that stuff you guys said when I get home at 10 tonight. I have to leave in like 5 minutes.

I'm actually kinda leaninf towards the overheating arguement. I'm gunna try moving all the cables and everything too, but from what I can tell, it's overheating because it's only happeneing during the games. I'm gunna unplug the thing right now before I go and I'm gunna turn the heater off too. It will get cold in here and thw Wii will completely cool down. I'll gibe you guys an update when I get back.

[quote name='pimpinc333']OR you can do what me and other CAG's suggested. Having the GPU fucked is prolly the worst case scenario. Why not have the OP atleast try what we suggested? The dumbest thing the OP could do would be to send it into Nintendo without tring our methods. What does he have to lose 5 minutes?

EDIT: OP to prove us wrong since SpazX and Daroga think the GPU is overheating turn your shit off and let it cool down. Then play some games. There should be no static or artifacts right away. If there are then Daroga and SpazX theory is pretty much bunked.[/quote]If you note, my first suggestion was to unplug everything, cables and power alike, overnight, and then come back and see what happens. :)

As with Spaz, I've seen this thing happen often to a PC when the video card goes kablammo. And from the OP's decription of it suddenly starting to creep in during a Zelda cutscene, the idea of cables, while not impossible, seems highly improbable. Though Arkay's thought that it's just the Twilight Realm's effects is an interesting thought too. OP, where are you in Zelda? When in the game did you first notice it? Do the problems creep up in other games?

Regardless of what's wrong, however, Nintendo will for sure make it right. Their support is the best of any company I've ever dealt with, video game or otherwise.

OP, if you're really in a jam for cash, ask a friend to borrow an SD card. Everyone has a damn digital camera now, so I'd have to assume SOMEONE you know has an SD card that they don't use, so just try to borrow their's for the week or 2, or however long it takes to get your Wii back if you get it repaired/replaced through Nintendo.

When I first got my 360 I thought something was wrong with it because from time to time there was like a static type lines in the pic. Turns out it was my dam cell phone laying on top the TV. When it got info sent to or from it the pic and even my speakers made a noise.

[quote name='daroga']...Arkay's thought that it's just the Twilight Realm's effects is an interesting thought too. OP, where are you in Zelda? When in the game did you first notice it? Do the problems creep up in other games?[/quote]

I'm just knocked that greenish guy riding the pig off the bridge. I wasn't in twilight so thats not it. (And just to be clear, it's not a problem that looks anything like the particle effect in twilight). And yes, I was having the problem in Red Steel too.

I'm gunna go test it again. I had it unplugged for 7 hours in a cold room, so if overheating was the problem it should be fine now.

Dammit! After 7 hours of cooling down, the problem is still there. I've tried everything except a new set of cables, and none of my friends have a Wii, so I have no new cables to test with :cry:

[quote name='d00k']Dammit! After 7 hours of cooling down, the problem is still there. I've tried everything except a new set of cables, and none of my friends have a Wii, so I have no new cables to test with :cry:[/quote]It could also be that the GPU is damaged not just over heating. But that's about as good of a guess as the cables at this point. Does it do it on the menus? If it does, it could be either, if not, I'd say it's a GPU issue.

Give Nintendo a buzz tomorrow and see what they say.

[quote name='daroga']It could also be that the GPU is damaged not just over heating. But that's about as good of a guess as the cables at this point. Does it do it on the menus? If it does, it could be either, if not, I'd say it's a GPU issue.

Give Nintendo a buzz tomorrow and see what they say.[/quote]

It's just in the games, not the menus.

Yeah, sounds like a GPU issue to me too. It doesn't mean the GPU is overheating, rather that it's defective. Probably the menu screens don't put as much stress on it and don't show up the problem (at least not yet).

And yes, stuff that looks kind of like static is a symptom of a defective GPU.

Could also be that the menu is mostly white so all 3 colors are firing very high and hiding the problem.

Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not there.

Does this happen on any other game but Zelda? Whenever I attack monsters, slight lines begin showing up but then kinda go away. Sorta like when I use a bomb. Only on Zelda. No other game. I also have Rayman and DBZ2.

I remembered a similar kind of effect in Wind Waker and remembered hearing that TP shared a similar graphics engine so I let it slide.

I'm using component cables, by the way.

[quote name='d00k']It's on Red Steel too.

I'm gunna give Nintendo a call right now. This really sucks. I'm gunna lose all of my saved data :cry:[/quote] Serioulsy, bud, does anyone you know have an SD card that you can copy your saves to? Alternatively to losing everything, I think you can have Nintendo transfer things for you, but it would mean being without the system for a week or more.

Bad video ram

Call Nintendo and they will even pay for shipping

For the sake of Pete, you HAVE to know someone who owns a camera that uses SD, most people have like a 32MB or 64 MB just sitting around that came with the camera that is worthless to them.

For you right now it's gold. Ask around.

Damn. I just called Nintendo. It's going to take a minimum of 36 days for them to repair it and ship it back to me. Not including Sundays. And I might lose all my data. I need an SD card and fast.

I seen a 256mb SD card for like $8 at Target last nite in the checkout (IMPULSE) isle. I know you can get like 1 GB for around $20 if you search right.. but if you don't have the time or money to go get a 1GB or higher card..just go get a cheap SD card for now so you can back up your saves!

Two things:

1) You usually can return video cables to Best Buy etc. Trying it out = good idea. Ditto for another TV. It still doesn't sound like an actual hardware issue to me.

2) You can find 64MB SD cards in some drug stores (in the photo section) for like $5.

[quote name='d00k']Damn. I just called Nintendo. It's going to take a minimum of 36 days for them to repair it and ship it back to me. Not including Sundays. And I might lose all my data. I need an SD card and fast.[/quote]Did they talk to youabout the advanced replacement program, where they send you a new unit, and a label to ship yours back, end iof story? They just hold onto your CC info in case you don't return the broken one and then they charge you for it.

I suspect that limited suplies may not allow this at the moment though?

[quote name='clockworkgreen']What's the moral of the story? Never buy a Wii. ;)[/quote] and a 360 and a ps3 and a ps2 and a standard xbox. Whats your point?

Believe it or not, I seem to be suffering from the same issue....

I started playing Zelda a few days ago and I noticed strange green colored dots that appeared scattered about various parts of the screen. It happens in every game and when I look closely enough I can see it in the Wii menu interface. I've had my Wii since launch day in the US and this only just started to happen. I did have my Wii on standby for a few days and I'm wondering now if the small amount of heat somehow damaged something internal.

Anyway, I'm to the point now where I'm going to contact Nintendo about this. What really sucks though is that I'm probably gonna have to wait a while to get anything done about it. Maybe I should just wait until sometime in January to do something about it. I can put up with a bit of artifacting for now I suppose, I've already beaten Zelda. But once I get a new game I don't want to see that.

bread's done
Back