I think vedic math should be taught in our public schools.

[quote name='javeryh']That is the dumbest shit I've ever seen.[/quote]
Then you must be REALLY good at math. Imagine how many kids wouldn't need calculators to do simple math! This is the kind of stuff they are teaching in India, and they are lightyears ahead of us in math.

[quote name='help1']Then you must be REALLY good at math. Imagine how many kids wouldn't need calculators to do simple math! This is the kind of stuff they are teaching in India, and they are lightyears ahead of us in math.[/quote]

Well, I am really good at math. ;) I looked at the first few tutorials and it just seems like memorizing multipication tables is a lot easier - and how often are you subtracting numbers from numbers ending in all zeroes?

[quote name='javeryh']Well, I am really good at math. ;) I looked at the first few tutorials and it just seems like memorizing multipication tables is a lot easier - and how often are you subtracting numbers from numbers ending in all zeroes?[/quote]

Honestly, I havn't looks at it too much, my friend has though. ITs his field of research. He says there are many variants of vedic math some wihhc deal with all numbers, some with just 10000's. I agree, memorization of tables maybe helpful, IF you are doing 7x12 or something, but this can apparently help you get an answer to 617 x 718, which is not memorized.

No system of math is inherently better than others. It comes down to elegance. These are interesting, but I think it would take too big a shift of the educational system to start teaching these rather than the standard western style for too little benefit.

[quote name='jmcc']No system of math is inherently better than others. It comes down to elegance. These are interesting, but I think it would take too big a shift of the educational system to start teaching these rather than the standard western style for too little benefit.[/quote]

I agree, a complete overhaul is impractical but I believe that it should be mentioned, maybe to those with weak math skills. It should be atleast incorporated, maybe 1 or 2 days out of the 186 school days.

no, they should have algebra and analysis start earlier. If only I would have been allowed into my 8th grade algebra class in the 5th or 6th grade...

[quote name='camoor']Cool.

Math education in public school is a joke. I learnt more watching an episode of "Numb3rs" (and that's really sad)[/quote]

Did you 'learnt' your spelling and grammar from Numb3rs as well? :D

I would say its so much the method of math taught as its more to do with the fact that lessons are simplified so kids don't feel stupid.

Why are kids being taught to feel special for being just as fucking stupid as the next moron? Self esteem is for hookers and fat people, not class rooms.

[quote name='camoor']Cool.

Math education in public school is a joke. I learnt more watching an episode of "Numb3rs" (and that's really sad)[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']I would say its so much the method of math taught as its more to do with the fact that lessons are simplified so kids don't feel stupid.

Why are kids being taught to feel special for being just as fucking stupid as the next moron? Self esteem is for hookers and fat people, not class rooms.[/QUOTE]

Because if children were slammed with real world values in school, you would have a world full of nihilists, pessimists, and suidical maniacs. Kids are taught to feel special and unique because if they weren't, what would you have? Less than nothing in a meaningless world. We already have problems convincing people to work 40-hour weeks and do their duty as citizens of the US/UK/etc. etc. What would you be doing if you removed any sense of individualism as soon as in the classroom? Do you think people would go on to live their lives full of hope and joy, or with hate and remorse? Children can't see the median, they don't understand moderation. They see black and white. If you kill the innocence in a child early on, you're doing a lot worse than preparing them for adulthood. That's why self-esteem IS for classrooms.

:rofl:

You're essentially saying the world is shitty, but only if you pay attention to it. :lol:

We made it to this point without everyone being coddled.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Because if children were slammed with real world values in school, you would have a world full of nihilists, pessimists, and suidical maniacs. Kids are taught to feel special and unique because if they weren't, what would you have? Less than nothing in a meaningless world. We already have problems convincing people to work 40-hour weeks and do their duty as citizens of the US/UK/etc. etc. What would you be doing if you removed any sense of individualism as soon as in the classroom? Do you think people would go on to live their lives full of hope and joy, or with hate and remorse? Children can't see the median, they don't understand moderation. They see black and white. If you kill the innocence in a child early on, you're doing a lot worse than preparing them for adulthood. That's why self-esteem IS for classrooms.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']:rofl:

You're essentially saying the world is shitty, but only if you pay attention to it. :lol:

We made it to this point without everyone being coddled.[/QUOTE]

That's not essentially what I'm saying, that's exactly what I'm saying. Get it?

[quote name='xmrblondex']no, they should have algebra and analysis start earlier. If only I would have been allowed into my 8th grade algebra class in the 5th or 6th grade...[/QUOTE]
I started algebra in 6th grade. Then took another algebra course in 7th and geometry in 8th.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']That's not essentially what I'm saying, that's exactly what I'm saying. Get it?[/QUOTE]
He's basically saying it's all murder, all guts, all fun.

bread's done
Back