I was great, then I sucked. This ever happen to you?

alonzomourning23

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I decided to play tanarus a bit today. I used to play it all the time a decade ago, but left because the community began to suck (lowered subscription price lead to a flood of jerks and idiots, sapping the fun out of it and ruining teamwork). I didn't stay very long but it got me thinking. I remember when I first started playing that game I was great, I even beat some of the top players in duels, and had an excellent kill ratio. Then I stopped playing for a month and my skill level just plummeted. It had been up and running for a year or two at that point, so it wasn't like there was a huge jump in others skills. My kill ratio dropped to less than half of what it previous had been, and people I had been able to wipe the floor with I was struggling just to hold my own against. I played for about a year after that and never got my ability back. Anyone else have experiences like this?

Counter-Strike
Battlefield 2
Warcraft 3

I suck ass at CS and WC3 now. I still do a little good in BF2 though because everyone sucks.

the DS has showed me that Ive lost ALL my skills at 2D platformers. The New SMB is kicking my ass, and I used to own at those types of games.

I used to also play FPS games on the PC on a daily basis, and was very good at them (ranked in the top 50 players in the world), but that was a looong time ago (QII, HL, TFC, CS before it went retail, etc...) and now Im sure Ive lost all those skills.

In my youth I was a pro at Mega Man. Now I get my ass handed to me every time. Ditto that for Mike Tyson's Punch-Out...hell, any game from the NES era.

[quote name='2poor']Counter-Strike
Battlefield 2
Warcraft 3

I suck ass at CS and WC3 now. I still do a little good in BF2 though because everyone sucks.[/quote]
Interesting... the same happened to me in Counter-Strike. I played all the time, until I quit playing for about a month or so. After I came back from that short hiatus, I played horribly and could never regain my "skillz."

Another game for me would be... Starcraft. I should of never quit playing it, damnit.

[quote name='alonzomourning23']I decided to play tanarus a bit today. I used to play it all the time a decade ago, but left because the community began to suck (lowered subscription price lead to a flood of jerks and idiots, sapping the fun out of it and ruining teamwork). I didn't stay very long but it got me thinking. I remember when I first started playing that game I was great, I even beat some of the top players in duels, and had an excellent kill ratio. Then I stopped playing for a month and my skill level just plummeted. It had been up and running for a year or two at that point, so it wasn't like there was a huge jump in others skills. My kill ratio dropped to less than half of what it previous had been, and people I had been able to wipe the floor with I was struggling just to hold my own against. I played for about a year after that and never got my ability back. Anyone else have experiences like this?[/quote]

What is Tanauras? Hmmm... a game I don't know about.. must Google...

Super Monkey Ball. I played that game so much when it came out and actually got to the point where I could get through all of the Expert and Master levels without continuing (and once losing only one monkey - never got that perfect run though). Now I can't even get past the first 10 levels without falling out.

counter strike and warcraft 3, i remember i used to rule at cs, not amazing, but hold my own well, my at the time, chinese gf wiped the floor with me, headshots left and right, i never played again i felt ashamed :p
current gf started playing it, so i re-bought the game..pricey though, but doesn't matter, taking me awhile to get my madd skills back
-warcraft 3, i always won agains tthe cpu..now i cant last a few minutes, the first raid wipes me out :(

[quote name='javeryh']Super Monkey Ball. I played that game so much when it came out and actually got to the point where I could get through all of the Expert and Master levels without continuing (and once losing only one monkey - never got that perfect run though). Now I can't even get past the first 10 levels without falling out.[/quote]

I don't care what anyone says, that game is HARD.

yea, i was a god at red faction, especially with sniper weaponry. then i stopped playing for a few years, and went back, i had to reload up on ammo practically 3X just to kill 1 person. its odd because i play UT 2004 all the time, but then again i have different mouse sensitivty settings ect... but still, it made me feel incompitent, so i invited them to play UT 2004. i felt much better after that.

I was pretty good in Soldier of Fortune II for PC; to the point where people would call me wallhacker and aimbot and tried take lots of screenshots of me playing using punkbuster. Then I took a couple years off because of school and started playing again out of boredom. Now nobody called me a hacker anymore. My kill:death ratio tanked and I wasn't as fast or accurate as I used to be. Sad thing is I have a far better PC now than my old framerate-skipper PC that I played on before.

i was very good at goldeneye for N64. If i played it now i would be terrible. You learn by playing other people who are good. If you dont practice it can be tough to pick it up and play it again

Yeah without practice you get rusty. I don't care what anyone says, it does take SKILL to beat top players consistantly, or in the worst case, use the hacks/assisting programs as much as they to do to be as good. I played Warcraft 2 on and off for a good eight years, and I was constantly a top tier player over Kali (a wonderful program by Jay Cotton that wouldallow battles over their IPX network. I miss those days like hell) and when I recently attempted to play someone over Battle.net I got my ass handed to me.

Ultima Online is another example because I played that for years (5+) and retired once, and I was a pretty good PvPer on Sonoma and had a bit of an ego when I defeated some of the best. When I came back I lost alot of skill and had a hard time dueling. Unfortunately I retired permanetly on my second return because PvPing is the only fun thing still to do in the game and they ruined alot of it introducing Trammel.

I am pretty good at Halo 2, but I was playing 20+ hours a week when it was released, and I'm sure now im a bit rusty with the lack of play.

When I was around 5 or 6, I played Bubble Bobble so much I was able to beat the game without ever getting the "Game Over" screen (or whatever screen that was that came up with the password to start where you left off after you use up all your lives). Now...haha...no comment.

I used to be really good at Goldeneye 007 for N64. I was the first person in my school to unlock 007 mode without using any Gameshark cheats and I also unlocked all of the ingame cheats. I tried playing this again the other month and died within a couple minutes...wow....what happened?

I used to be better at games in general when I was in grade school. This is really sad.

[quote name='greydemise']counter strike and warcraft 3, i remember i used to rule at cs, not amazing, but hold my own well, my at the time, chinese gf wiped the floor with me, headshots left and right, i never played again i felt ashamed :p
current gf started playing it, so i re-bought the game..pricey though, but doesn't matter, taking me awhile to get my madd skills back
-warcraft 3, i always won agains tthe cpu..now i cant last a few minutes, the first raid wipes me out :([/quote]
Don't feel ashamed... Chinese girls are pretty damn good at Counter-Strike, although I have no idea why that is.

And... I think we're all getting worse at video games the older we get, perhaps someday we'll be like our parents. X__X

[quote name='yukine']
And... I think we're all getting worse at video games the older we get, perhaps someday we'll be like our parents. X__X[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to think that too. I wonder when most people hit their peak at playing games.

Happened to me when Street FIghter 3rd strike was out, then I played alpha 3 for a few months and tried going back, I completely stunk at 3rd Strike

This isn't as bad as some of you guys, but I just replayed Luigi's Mansion a few weeks ago. I first got it when the Gamecube came out and didn't have any problems. When I replayed it I found out that the controls were inverted, and I couldn't change them. Back when I first got my Gamecube I only used inverted controls, but now I never do, and I had so many problems catching the ghosts, especially the Boos.

Hmm not really...I'm either the same or better. Monkey Ball I'm actually better at now. I played it the other day and did better than usual. It's actually not very difficult if you play it for awhile. I remember Call of Duty I used to be awful with at least double the deaths over kills, but this year I started playing that and CoD2 again...now I'm almost always top 5 in a server of 30 with any weapon.

I think the reason might be, your style in a certain game was very forceful or you had lots of patience waiting for the other player, now your mind ha changed a bit and your not as patient or too cautious or something lol

[quote name='Kaijufan']This isn't as bad as some of you guys, but I just replayed Luigi's Mansion a few weeks ago. I first got it when the Gamecube came out and didn't have any problems. When I replayed it I found out that the controls were inverted, and I couldn't change them. Back when I first got my Gamecube I only used inverted controls, but now I never do, and I had so many problems catching the ghosts, especially the Boos.[/quote]

Odd... I just played through Luigi's Mansion again last week, I bought it with my GameCube as well, it was my first GC game actually.

Still an awesome game, even today.

[quote name='yukine']Odd... I just played through Luigi's Mansion again last week, I bought it with my GameCube as well, it was my first GC game actually.

Still an awesome game, even today.[/quote]
I agree that it's still an awesome game (though it's a tad bit short), but the fact that I'm forced to play with inverted controls is almost unforgivable. How difficult can it be to make inverting the controls an option?

I used to be fairly good at DDR, and now I struggle on anything higher than 7 feet on hard. Thank God I still pwn all the people I know at Guilty Gear XX # Reload, Marvel Vs Capcom 2...and pretty much any other 2d fighter (well, the fast/flashy ones. I know, I know, I'm workin on my Alpha 3 skills and SFIII Third Strike, but at least I own at all the faster, less technical games (no Button Mashing allowed!).

And oh God, how can I forget my embarrassment at Megaman Anniversary Collection. I used to be able to beat almost all the old Megaman games back in the day. Megaman 2 was just handing me my ass. Maybe it's harder when the controller isn't a small rectangle that kinda cuts into your hands, idk.

Yeah, I hardly have time to play games anymore and when I do I totally suck.

associates, bachaelors, masters, phd...

Those are the bastards who steal my life!

[quote name='Kaijufan']I agree that it's still an awesome game (though it's a tad bit short), but the fact that I'm forced to play with inverted controls is almost unforgivable. How difficult can it be to make inverting the controls an option?[/quote]

Yeah, it is too short. A Luigi's Mansion 2 should be a damn launch title for the Wii, without a question.

[quote name='Predator21281']Mega Man, any of them. When I got Anniversary Collection, I died too many times. Sad really.[/quote]

It may be the format. I easily beat mega man 1 and 2 on nes, but couldn't get very far in anniversary collection with those games. After that I retried the original nes versions and didn't have any trouble.

Games are getting harder to me. I think I'm losing my lighting fast reflexes. Before when I was younger I could just go and play a game without thought. Now its like I have to think about everything I'm doing and inturn I suck. I'm not the worst but not the best either. I a middle of the road type of person for example in BF2 and PGR3 my ranks hover in the 5-15 thousand range.

I remember when I was younger, I would dominate Megaman 5. I would be able to jump around and dodge the bosses attacks with ease...nowadays if I try to play it I flat out suck :cry:

bread's done
Back