I wish I could buy a Wii

Brad Bishop

CAGiversary!
I saw 2 of them in a local Target about 2 months ago and thought, "Oh, the shortage must be over - I'll just get one the next time I'm in the store and thinking about it."

Well, I should have bought one then. I've had no luck in coming across another one since and have even tried to hit the local stores early on Sunday just to see if I could get a Sunday morning deal.

No luck.

I think Target (and most other stores) gets shipments in Monday to put out on Tuesday so I'll try again on the way home but it's a real pain to try to find one.

[quote name='niceguyshawne']Keep trying, I see them all of the time now.[/QUOTE]

I still haven't seen any in stores. Your best bet is to keep checking amazon.com they've been getting them randomly in stock for some time now. But they do sell out in 5 mins or so.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Try Best Buy. We have them all the time where I work now.[/QUOTE]
Same here. When I was at BB buying Rogue Galaxy one of the employee's was trying to get me to buy a Wii.

Maybe BB is hoarding them like they did with PS3's?

It's not like I'm in the middle of the desert. I'm in metro Atlanta. You'd think it'd be a big enough urban center to be supplied. I'll keep trying..

[quote name='Brad Bishop']It's not like I'm in the middle of the desert. I'm in metro Atlanta. You'd think it'd be a big enough urban center to be supplied. I'll keep trying..[/QUOTE]

Keep checking Speedy's ads in either the DVD or VG forums, you'll get a Wii on Sunday if it's in the ad and you're early enough.

CC has it advertised for Sunday.

You can buy mine. What is a fair amount to be buying/selling a used Wii?

Includes console and everything that came with the original box (Wii Sports, cables, etc.
Wii Play with remote
Zelda
component cable
classic controller
2 nunchucks
2700 Wii Points on console
VC games Super Mario World, Kid Icarus

How early do people get in line for a Wii if it makes the Sunday ads? Is the demand still so high that I need to fear a crazy line? I would like to get a Wii, but I have no idea how early I would have to arrive . Has anyone lined up for a Wii recently? How did it go?

[quote name='RisingZan']How early do people get in line for a Wii if it makes the Sunday ads? Is the demand still so high that I need to fear a crazy line? I would like to get a Wii, but I have no idea how early I would have to arrive . Has anyone lined up for a Wii recently? How did it go?[/quote]

That's just the thing. I really feel a little goofy getting to the store an hour early to get in a line to buy something.

I'll pass on the used Wii, too. I appreciate the offer, though.

My whole thing with this is that it seems like 6+ months after the console was introduced that, yeah, I could see it being out of stock once in a while at an odd store but it's out of stock the whole time. It really shouldn't be this hard to go to your local Walmart and pick up a Wii.

Check smaller places like Sears and Kmart... those are the only stores I've seen them in since nobody buys their video games there (I do, when there's a clearance).

Or do what the guy above said. I got mine around early March along with Zelda, WarioWare, & Wii Play and I haven't touched mine for more than 5 minutes since I beat those games (which took about 2 weeks). I don't see any reason to pay full price of SPM or RE4 Wii so there's really nothing for me for a while.

For any CAGs in Louisville still looking, I JUST got back from Wal-Mart on Hurstbourne Pkwy and they had four in the case.

Show up to the store about 90 minutes before they open. If there isn't anyone there, just sit in your car until 60 minutes before it opens. At that time, go snag a voucher and get breakfast. Come back sometime after they open, and you got a Wii.

I showed up at my TRU a few weeks ago five minutes before they opened and was the only one there.

The resale value on eBay finally dropped to the point where it isn't worth the resellers time to go early and buy up all the systems. Last I looked (a few weeks ago) they seemed to be selling for just over retail, right in that gray area where it isn't a good deal for the buyer OR the seller :lol:. They are still sold out solidly everywhere around me, but I think, finally, they are just being sold to end users who want them which means they are much easier to find than before when resellers were hoarding them up. I'm sure some people are still buying them for resale, but they aren't the brightest bunch in the world (see: PS3 sales after Nov. last year).

I saw a few for the first time since December in a store a few weeks ago. They had 6 in the case late on a Sunday night. The next time I went in (Weds), of course, they were all gone and I haven't seen any since then.

I don't think anyone, from the lowliest PS3 fanboy to the Nintendo execs themselves thought it would be like this. I mean, opinions on CAG ranged from them being available everywhere right after launch as a "consolation prize" for people who couldn't find PS3's to having them be sold out just through Feb or so like the 360. Hopefully this means lots of great third-party support in a year or so...

I tried to get a Wii one time. I saw the ad a week in advance, I went two hours early. I was the first one there. It wasnt hard.

And although I do enjoy it, its not the new sliced bread for me. I dont find it to be worthy of a two hour campout... 6 months after launch. My mom likes the Wii though, and she doesnt even play games. I guess thats part of the selling point.

[quote name='fshaia']io, you better look at ebay again, they have been selling pretty high for a while now[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does seem to be up just a bit. When I looked a few weeks ago they were selling for $260 - $290, $300 tops (I'm talking just the system and ignoring any bundles). I think that was after one of the weekend when every store had them on Sunday, so maybe it was just a temprary "glut" (a word which seems wierd to use with the Wii). Now, for some reason, they are $300-$350 again. At $260-$290 they aren't worth selling after tax/ebay fees/PayPal fees/hassle. At $300-$350, I suppose they are just barely worth it. But I wouldn't consider it worthwhile to go camp out/wait in line for such a small amount. But then I don't make my living selling on eBay either :lol:.

[quote name='io']Yeah, it does seem to be up just a bit. When I looked a few weeks ago they were selling for $260 - $290, $300 tops (I'm talking just the system and ignoring any bundles). I think that was after one of the weekend when every store had them on Sunday, so maybe it was just a temprary "glut" (a word which seems wierd to use with the Wii). Now, for some reason, they are $300-$350 again. At $260-$290 they aren't worth selling after tax/ebay fees/PayPal fees/hassle. At $300-$350, I suppose they are just barely worth it. But I wouldn't consider it worthwhile to go camp out/wait in line for such a small amount. But then I don't make my living selling on eBay either :lol:.[/quote]

Yea, after fees etc.. it seem like paypal and ebay are the biggest winners, and ebay owns paypal too ! I guess some people could make a living off it, but like you said with all the hastle (a lot of people have been biding on them and not paying) I am not sure it is worth it.

I actually saw my first Wii in the wild this week at a local Wallyworld. I was kinda shocked to see them sitting there in the case too. Five minutes later one was being sold tho.

So the demand is there, but the supply might finally be catching up.

Yeah I see them every once and awhile at various Wal-Marts in my area. That's where I found mine. Just stop into different Wal-Marts and you might be able to snag one. I found mine on a Friday night.

Don't worry too much about not finding one. I got mine on the day it came out and the only game I've enjoyed has been zelda. I'd say wait until a good game comes out. If that is ever going to happen.

[quote name='dpadilla4']Don't worry too much about not finding one. I got mine on the day it came out and the only game I've enjoyed has been zelda. I'd say wait until a good game comes out. If that is ever going to happen.[/quote]

Good advice--I totally forgot that your specific gaming tastes apply to everyone else in the world.

I've only seen Wiis in the case available to be purchased once since I got mine Day 1. Granted, I don't go to the store every Sunday Morning, but still.

I decided to get one this week and already have it. If you look about college age (or are in college) see if your campus bookstore carries them. I take a night class locally and the bookstore had a "waiting list" and the guy told me most people don't come in to buy them when it's there turn so they just go down the list a few days later. Sure enough, I got to go pick one up the next day.

[quote name='Brad Bishop']I saw 2 of them in a local Target about 2 months ago and thought, "Oh, the shortage must be over - I'll just get one the next time I'm in the store and thinking about it."

Well, I should have bought one then. I've had no luck in coming across another one since and have even tried to hit the local stores early on Sunday just to see if I could get a Sunday morning deal.

No luck.

I think Target (and most other stores) gets shipments in Monday to put out on Tuesday so I'll try again on the way home but it's a real pain to try to find one.[/QUOTE]

Just bite the bullet and cop it off Ebay already...Totally worth it

[quote name='dserafin1986']Just bite the bullet and cop it off Ebay already...Totally worth it[/quote]

Got one this morning at Circuit City (did the whole hour-early/voucher deal). Anyway, it's not too far from me (really, just right around the corner). I went there, got my voucher, came home, cleaned did laundry, went back, got my Wii.

I like it.

It'll do more for me with the Virtual Console games than anything. I like the old stuff.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

don't buy offa eBay unless you're a drooling retard. check on tuesday. last tues there were at least 20 (south bay area) at target and walmart.

[quote name='steaming79']don't buy offa eBay unless you're a drooling retard. check on tuesday. last tues there were at least 20 (south bay area) at target and walmart.[/quote]

I've had some bad experiences on eBay. I'd expect to order a Wii but, instead, get a Wyy. That kind of crap pisses me off.

Aside from display units, I've yet to see a single one at any given store.

I don't get why it's still not readily available "whenever" after being out so long though.

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']Aside from display units, I've yet to see a single one at any given store.

I don't get why it's still not readily available "whenever" after being out so long though.[/quote]See weekly/monthly sales reports, coupled with the likelihood that they are starting to stockpile for the holidays (since demand will probably come close to double, especially with the big guns heading out this fall).

You need to try and find one now.

Once Sept comes around the Xmas Holiday rush will start. It starts earlier every year and the Wii will be a hot item this xmas. And if they do a price drop forget about it you'll never be able to find one.

I saw 6 or 7 at Wal-Mart today. If I hadn't just found all my old NES and Genesis games in my basement a couple days ago (I own Wario's Woods?! Who knew?) I'd be tempted for the VC but until there are a good 10 games there that I either don't own or can't get a cart only version for less than the VC price, I'll pass.

I already have one, but today my brother calls and says that his coworkers and himself had decided to get their boss a Wii for his birthday...but of course my lazy ass brother was hoping from a miracle from me...

And I delivered. I called up the Tustin Marketplace (CA) Target and the guy said they had one there. Missing as many pedestrians and trying to break as few traffic laws as possible, I made it there in time, but then he tells me it was returned, but supposedly unused. I paced for a while, talking to my brother on the cell, both of us groaning with the dilemma we were faced with.

I decided that the packaging inside is so bloody elaborate that it would be unlikely that someone could use the system and then put everything back in a manner that wouldn't be obvious (if the system was for myself I would not have bought it, because the seed of doubt was there). That said, it was obvious nothing had ever been opened. Not Wii Sports (sealed), not the Wii remote (green tape sealed), not the system nor the power cord, nor the IR bar...I thanked my lucky stars that it was indeed unused and purchased it.

On a whim I walked into the almost next door Gamestop and asked them if they had any Wiis (I knew it looked weird what with a Target bag obviously flush with Wii-dom clutched in my left hand), but I figured if I could get a new one, it would be worth it to do so and just return the still 1% iffy one.

But the clerks reaction sealed it for me. "Did you...uh...just get that at Target?"

"Yup."

"Target has Wiis??" (growing excitement)

"No, it was just this one, it was a return."

"Wait...but they, like, have Wiis in stock?"

"Again, no, this was the only one. Someone returned it."

"Oh" (strong tinge of disappointment)

I can't believe these things are still so hard to find, especially because the only times in the last three months, literally, that I have turned the thing on, has been when my mother has visited and begged to play bowling.

Oh well, at least I lucked out and delivered. Miracle me.

I sure wished I could have found one on my own, but I had to have my brother in law pick one up from the PX on his base in Italy. Otherwise, Id still be looking for one.

I took this last night.

th_IMGA0004.jpg

I've never seen one in person, though I did see some at CC online twice now .. if I happened to go across one, I might impulse buy and grab one, lol .. Wii Sports looks fun

bread's done
Back