I wish the HiDef war was still going - BluRay player prices have surged!

nicholas01

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
To quote:
HD DVD has been dead less than four weeks, yet it appears prices already have started to rise on DVD players supporting the surviving high-definition format Blu-ray.

The average price in January of the top 10 Blu-ray players on PriceGrabber.com, a comparison-shopping site, was $467. In February, the month Toshiba said it would no longer lead the charge for HD DVD, the average price jumped to $604.
The article goes on to say that, even accounting for the introduction of high-end systems, the avg. price rose $20-$50. Not that I was able to swing it financially, but I kinda wish that I had bet on the right horse early on.

Original article at http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206903607

This is why I'm glad I have a 360, PS3 (and Wii, but it doesn't count)

I picked up the add on for the 360 from a CAGer here, with a handful of movies for cheap,

The PS3 can play blu-rays, and is updatable

So whichever had won I was set. I'm not going to rush out and sell my add-on or my movies ether, since it's not like they will stop working

My only regret is getting the HD Harry Potter Giftset, since now the others will have to be in Blu Ray

exactly what i was thinking. I've been browsing the hd dvd collection lately and ignoring the blu-ray. Trying to get what I can on hd dvd for cheap.

[quote name='swarmster']Combination of high end players launched (as mentioned) and holiday sales ending. Wait 'til next winter *shrug*[/quote]

Indeed. At the end of the day, Blu-ray cannot afford to rest with the fall of HD-DVD, considering SD-DVD still dominates the vast majority of the market.

SD-DVD will continue to, I think, especially if Blu-Ray player prices go up universally. Why pay so much more for your movie viewing, when the old standard is available still?

Every blu-ray player offered at Best Buy and Circuit City have remained the same. The most expensive they carry is the Panasonic at $500. All of the others top out at $400.

i can't tell the difference between a blu-ray playing and a progressive DVD playing.. or its so minute that I don't care that much..

[quote name='urzishra14']i can't tell the difference between a blu-ray playing and a progressive DVD playing.. or its so minute that I don't care that much..[/QUOTE]

i would suggest going to the optometrist

[quote name='urzishra14']i can't tell the difference between a blu-ray playing and a progressive DVD playing.. or its so minute that I don't care that much..[/quote]

What kind of connection do you have running to your tv? what type of tv, also?

[quote name='edzbsu']What kind of connection do you have running to your tv? what type of tv, also?[/quote]
13" 1970's SD Panasonic TV with chicken wire cables running into a mangled coaxial port and a homemade Bluray player made out of discarded PS2s and a blue sharpie marker :D

[quote name='urzishra14']i can't tell the difference between a blu-ray playing and a progressive DVD playing.. or its so minute that I don't care that much..[/quote]

I can tell the differences, but it's not a $1500 wow factor differences, tv plus player. I would wait till players are sub $200 to buy if I didn't already have one.

Yea, I was listening to the radio last night and an analyst was talking about Blu-Ray player prices surging and are they serious about the $29 price point being the standard for new releases for years to come, I thought media prices were dropping? - glad I am not in the market for a stand-alone. This should only serve to help PS3 sales.

[quote name='LinkTGF']13" 1970's SD Panasonic TV with chicken wire cables running into a mangled coaxial port and a homemade Bluray player made out of discarded PS2s and a blue sharpie marker :D[/QUOTE]

That gave me a good laugh. Back on topic, I am waiting for the disk prices to go up. I was going to grab I, Robot from Best Buy and it was $35.00. Even on Amazon, it is $28. Fox has always been higher, even on old movies, so I guess that is expected. I just hope the other studios don't follow suit.

bread's done
Back