i work for circuit city

[quote name='stomp']This is kinda off topic but since some of you work for CC, tell me wtf is the purpose of the asshole standing at the door checking receipts. Usually I walk by with no problem, since its a waste of my time, but today this guy followed me outside to try to check my receipt. Of course he failed, but what gives?? CC is the only store that does it, so shed some light if you can.[/quote]

I take it you have never had a job before. Its so people don't steal things, which will in effect help regulate prices. Don't be a dick to some dude thats getting paid a quarter above minimum wage, because you have to take 15 seconds out of your busy life. Get a clue.

The store probably has some major theft issues. When our store has problem with thieves, a manager will usually hang out at the door while another looks for potential shoplifters.

[quote name='stomp']This is kinda off topic but since some of you work for CC, tell me wtf is the purpose of the asshole standing at the door checking receipts. Usually I walk by with no problem, since its a waste of my time, but today this guy followed me outside to try to check my receipt. Of course he failed, but what gives?? CC is the only store that does it, so shed some light if you can.[/quote]

It should be pretty obvious. It's to prevent theft. The psychological effect is just as important as the actually scrutiny of the receipt and product.

When theft is high prices increase to compensate and pay for increased security that often makes shopping less pleasant. That is how shoplifters hurt you along with the store.

[quote name='jimbojonesjr']I take it you have never had a job before. Its so people don't steal things, which will in effect help regulate prices. Don't be a dick to some dude thats getting paid a quarter above minimum wage, because you have to take 15 seconds out of your busy life. Get a clue.[/quote]

job = yes. so you mean to tell me that checking a receipt (not a bag) prevents stealing? if it is meant to prevent stealing then why would he leave his post. and again, CC is the ONLY store that does it. BB doesn't, TrU doesn't, Target doesn't, Walmart doesn't. Well it really doesn't matter cause like you said he/they are just doing their job. I was just wondering whats up since no other store does it.

Mainly because other places have actual security personnel. CC doesnt. So it's up to managers to keep theft down since they pretty much are the security since us employees cant put a hand on customers even if we do see them stealing. More than likely, that store got hit hard by thieves.

Actually, Fry's does it too. They are notorious for their Door Nazi's.

And so does Costco.

I don't mind; takes about 5-10 seconds for them to scan my reciept and my stuff.

Also, some CC's do it, some don't. Out of the four stores in my area, only one had a Door Nazi.

[quote name='stomp']
job = yes. so you mean to tell me that checking a receipt (not a bag) prevents stealing? if it is meant to prevent stealing then why would he leave his post. and again, CC is the ONLY store that does it. BB doesn't, TrU doesn't, Target doesn't, Walmart doesn't. Well it really doesn't matter cause like you said he/they are just doing their job. I was just wondering whats up since no other store does it.[/quote]

cc is not the only place doing it, they have only done it recently if i can remember. but fry's has always done this.

Sadly there will be no more shipments of the 4.99 games... it is a CLEARANCE .... meaning corp said "hey CCs, sell all this shit to we can make room for the holiday season games!"

.... cause u know Halo 2 is going to have like a fucken wall to itself ;)

bb, cc, costco, every store does it, in fact i picked up some 4.99 games from one of the stores today, and as I was leaving, my sack set off the alarm! I told the receipt checker that I am a cheapass and not a thief and she just said, "eh it always does that"(alarm rings when folks arent stealing. She checked my receipt and I went home.

ngxbox is right. Now that I think about it, this was about the same time last year that Target (where I worked) started putting a lot of things on clearnance in order to make more shelf space for toys. They plan like 4-5 months ahead of the holiday season.

Comp USA, CC, Best Buy and Media Play all do it here. I don't mind it at all because I have nothing to hide.

The funniest thing about this CC sale is I think this the first time I ever saw Haven sold out anywhere. It was the only game in the store with a $4.99 TAG on the shelf.

WOOOHOOO! Haven sales going wild!

[quote name='stomp'][quote name='jimbojonesjr']I take it you have never had a job before. Its so people don't steal things, which will in effect help regulate prices. Don't be a dick to some dude thats getting paid a quarter above minimum wage, because you have to take 15 seconds out of your busy life. Get a clue.[/quote]

job = yes. so you mean to tell me that checking a receipt (not a bag) prevents stealing? if it is meant to prevent stealing then why would he leave his post. and again, CC is the ONLY store that does it. BB doesn't, TrU doesn't, Target doesn't, Walmart doesn't. Well it really doesn't matter cause like you said he/they are just doing their job. I was just wondering whats up since no other store does it.[/quote]

Actually, my local BB does it quite frequently.

Those security boxes are an inconvenience but not a guarantee against shoplifted games being extricated and used. I once came home from shopping at Fry's (IIRC) to discover one of my Dreamcast games was still in the case. It was actually kind of fun working out how to open it. For this design it involved using an unbent paperclip and pushing against a surface so I could handle the other two locks with my fingers poking two more unbent paperclips in the left and right slots. Pretty easy but there was the risk of making a wrong move and opening a portal to Hell.

As I said previously, the most important part is the psychological effect. One of the occasional pleasures of working retail long ago was when we knew we had a shoplifter and we'd find different ways to mess with his head without just coming out and saying we knew what he had under his shirt. This is especially good if you know exactly what he's trying to steal. In that situation you strike up a conversation and find an excuse to mention the product and regale its virtues. The pressure will usually drive them insane and make them seek out a corner where they can pull the item out and try to put it back or hide it.

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Comp USA, CC, Best Buy and Media Play all do it here. I don't mind it at all because I have nothing to hide.

The funniest thing about this CC sale is I think this the first time I ever saw Haven sold out anywhere. It was the only game in the store with a $4.99 TAG on the shelf.

WOOOHOOO! Haven sales going wild![/quote]

Haven, the consolation prize for those arriving late at CC.

[quote name='epobirs']Haven, the consolation prize for those arriving late at CC.[/quote]

Well, they gotta have something for the norms who see the ad next week. :twisted:

[quote name='Alpha2']I think the problem is the hording aspect kils it for other CAGs in his area. They find out about the 5 dollar games and come looking for them only to find someone else bought them all and are selling them for 15 bucks a peice, inflating th eprice 10 bucks that they could have used to buy 2 other games.

I dont have a problem with people who want to help out buy picking up an extra if someone in another area can find a game they dont have but to buy the games simply to profit off them is a bit annoying.

No, I can't stop a person from doing it, I'm just stating why people dont like it.[/quote]
But if there's 10 copies of Disgaea.. then what are the chances that 10 seperate people will buy only one and leave the rest? I'd rather someone here would buy them all and sell them for a cheaper price than someone else who would buy them all and take them to ebay..

Hi, all.
I'm new here.

Whoa!!! $4.99??!!
Looks like I gotta check out my local cc when I wake up.
Thanks guys, for the info.

My BB checks too, but none of the CC's near me do. I feel bad for the guy having to check it, but it still kinda pisses me off. It seems really pointless, anyone who would shoplift on a large enough scale to cause harm, or anyone with half a brain would probably think of a another way besides throwing an item in a bag that will set off security sensors anyways. I try to never show them my reciept if I can help it. To me it feels like they are basically accussing everyone of stealing, including me, and to leave the store I have to prove to them I'm not stealing, F that, I don't really like that much. To each his own I guess.

man... people buying like more than 1 copy is annoying because wat if we want to go there and get the game? it wont be there because they took it to get profit! And wat if u dont have a credit card? how we gona buy it from other CAG's who hogged the shelf

[quote name='killa_momo']man... people buying like more than 1 copy is annoying because wat if we want to go there and get the game? it wont be there because they took it to get profit! And wat if u dont have a credit card? how we gona buy it from other CAG's who hogged the shelf[/quote]

If you don't have a credit card? Apply for one or use money orders. Or send well hidden cash. Or deal with the fact that you can't get the game.

Even if you get only ONE game at CC for $5, be thankful, that's more than you had last week.

[quote name='SlippyToad']
But if there's 10 copies of Disgaea.. then what are the chances that 10 seperate people will buy only one and leave the rest? I'd rather someone here would buy them all and sell them for a cheaper price than someone else who would buy them all and take them to ebay..[/quote]

If you're really doing so much to "help" CAG'ers, how about doing even trades for CAG'ers or selling them for cost plus postage maybe?

[quote name='PittsburghAfterDark']Comp USA, CC, Best Buy and Media Play all do it here. I don't mind it at all because I have nothing to hide.

WOOOHOOO! Haven sales going wild![/quote]

Haven was one of the few games that wasn't sold out at my Best Buy after the $4.99 sale had passed its peak. 3 copies left. I went into Best Buy a week later, and they were gone.

I'm gonna be like one of the CAGs who missed out on this sale.

I was hoping to get 4 games, but would have been happy with one, but the one CC had nothing that I wanted, and the other wouldn't even tell me, just that they couldn't sell to me at 5 dollars.

I really don't know what to believe there are so many conflicting stories go around on these boards . Two employees at my CC said that there was no sale on the 11th and the 4.99 would only last to the 11th . So who knows ?

bread's done
Back