Icewind Dale Ultimate Collection $20 at Amazon GREAT RPG (free shipping over $25)

CyberTrick

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I know this is an old PC game, but it's a classic. Many have probably overlooked it at the time but if you love RPG, it's a must buy, EVEN NOW. I remember playing it a bit when it first came, I just didn't have the time for it then. Well now I just got the complete set; both games, the expansion, extra content, manual, map and a soudtrack for $20. Can't get any better than that. Anyone even remotely interested must check it out.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivendi-Universal-020626721141-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B00009ECGH/sr=8-1/qid=1165288988/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5748134-3087230?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

did iwd 2 ever get an expansion? That looks like a pretty neat set considering all of the extra junk like the map and so on.

i havent played this game in years, not a bad game at all

If you like RPG's and don't have this game, this is a no brainer. I bought this set for 30 bucks at gamestop about 3 years ago, and I still occasionally go back and play. Buy this if you have played and enjoyed:

Baldur's Gate (1/2)
Neverwinter Nights
Fallout
Planescape
and even Star Wars KOTOR

Baldur's, Fallout, and Planescape all run on the infinity engine, which IWD runs on, but the other games are all very similar in overall gameplay style, though the party system and abilities in each are different, they are comparable.

Great deal, thanks OP for spreading the love.

I still need to go back and beat the expansion and IWD2. I loved Fallout when I was younger, then tried Baldur's Gate and didn't give it a chance. Then once I went back and tried Baldur's Gate I got hooked and tore through that series and also got the IWD pack. I want a new Baldur's Gate though!

Heart of Winter has the dreaded Starforce, does it not? I bought this years ago and still haven't gotten around to playing it...

[quote name='I82Much']No to fallout.[/QUOTE]
The confusion probably comes from the console versions of Baldur's Gate sharing an engine with Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel.

[quote name='ma']Heart of Winter has the dreaded Starforce, does it not? I bought this years ago and still haven't gotten around to playing it...[/QUOTE]
According to this list, yes.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']What's so bad about starforce?[/QUOTE]

It's a copy protection scheme that runs as a driver on your PC, but has been shown to expose you to all kinds of security problems. It is also incredibly difficult to get rid of.

Think of it as herpes for your PC.

Great RPG! For those whoe love D&D and don't mind playing a game with dated graphics, I definitely recommend picking this one up!

I really don't know where the whole starforce thing came from. It may be a region dependent thing (a ton of games "starforced" are not in the US, but are actually the European versions, though a couple (Like Broken Sword 3) are just the opposite). The copy that came with mine a couple years ago, from this very set, was NOT starforced. I had already installed it before I learned of the evils of starforce. It may have been starforced in the time since though, so be careful.

And sorry for saying Fallout was Infinity Engine. I honestly thought it was, as it is very similar to the Infinity Engine games. Excellent game none the less though.

I love Baldur's Gate/Planescape Torment/Fallout, but this series just didn't do it for me. It's less story-driven than the aforementioned series, and plays more like an RTS than an RPG.

Nice price on Icewind Dale. I would recommend getting Baldurs Gate 2 and KOTOR 1 if you haven't tried these games out yet. My friend is nuts about Baldurs Gate 2 and I absolutely loved KOTOR 1.

Awesome series. But, I bought Icewind Dale II for $5.35 with tax at Five Below. I'd get this series if I didn't have 1/3 of it already (more importantly, if I had time.)

Planescape: Torment was absolutely awesome, but long as hell because it was a good time drain for me. I did resell it on eBay and recovered my entire costs and then some, a year ago. :)

[quote name='Zmonkay']I really don't know where the whole starforce thing came from. It may be a region dependent thing (a ton of games "starforced" are not in the US, but are actually the European versions, though a couple (Like Broken Sword 3) are just the opposite). The copy that came with mine a couple years ago, from this very set, was NOT starforced. I had already installed it before I learned of the evils of starforce. It may have been starforced in the time since though, so be careful.

And sorry for saying Fallout was Infinity Engine. I honestly thought it was, as it is very similar to the Infinity Engine games. Excellent game none the less though.[/QUOTE]

I googled around, and you are right--only some releases of HoW have Starforce. I sure hope my copy doesn't. I wonder if there is a way to tell if a game has Starforce before installing it...

I finished the first Icewind Dale long ago, but I still listen to the fantastic Jeremy Soule (composer of Morrowind and Oblivion) soundtrack CD on a regular basis.

Anyone know if there is a way to tell if the NoW in this collection has starforce on it or not?? I don't see it anywhere on the disk, the manual or the box.

Hmm 20 bucks isn't a steal on this game but the buy this together with Baldur's Gate 2 Ultimate collection for 28 definetly is. If I havent owned all these games for years I'd be all over it.

Ya know amazon has been the hookup on PC games suddenly lately. The police quest collection, kings quest collection, space quest collection, leisuresuit larry collection, the icewind dale collection, the baldur's gate 2 collection, the neverwinter nights diamond, the black friday 25 buck oblivion collectors, and the black friday 20 dollar prey. Much love for amazon this xmas season.

F.E.A.R. Director's Edition (DVD-ROM) - Windows; DVD-ROM $19.99
Prey - Windows; CD-ROM $19.99
Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Compilation Pack - Windows; DVD-ROM $15.99
Icewind Dale Ultimate Collection - Windows; CD-ROM $19.99
Baldur's Gate 2: The Ultimate Collection - Vivendi Universal; CD-ROM; J&R $7.97
Space Quest Compilation - Windows; CD-ROM $14.99
Leisure Suit Larry Compilation - Windows; CD-ROM $14.99
King's Quest Compilation - Windows; CD-ROM $14.99
Police Quest Compilation - Windows; CD-ROM $16.99
Grand total= 145.89 thats not bad for 9 titles all collections save prey.

[quote name='chicagoz']I need a 5 buck filler for the free shipping :([/QUOTE]

Same here, any suggestions anyone?

I've never played IWD, but feel like a good hack 'n slash.

I've already got and loved the other RPGs mentioned. Still play BG and Fallout as a matter of fact, although it's been awhile for Fallout.

Man, now I'm getting a hankering for going through PS:T again...damn you, people!! ;)

I'm assuming Starforce only came on European versions of this game: ma said above that his copy of this collection lacks it, and I have one of the original standalone retail copies, which also lacks it. Probably just Europe or maybe only a few countries in Europe had it. Only way to check a given release in advance would be to see if it was published by one of these companies, then check their support pages or forums.

I'm trying to find what version of HoW has Starforce and everywhere I search it doesn't specify US or European or .... All it says is that "some versions" of the game have it. + Interplay, the publisher is no longer around so I can't even email then. Any idea where I can get some infor about the US Collection version and if it does have Starforce?

[quote name='CyberTrick']I'm trying to find what version of HoW has Starforce and everywhere I search it doesn't specify US or European or .... All it says is that "some versions" of the game have it. + Interplay, the publisher is no longer around so I can't even email then. Any idea where I can get some infor about the US Collection version and if it does have Starforce?[/QUOTE]

In all honesty, Heart of Winter isn't all that great anyways, and isn't a huge addition to the first game. The set is worth it for IWD 2 alone, and IWD 1 is just a fun bonus. Don't even bother with HoW if you're even slightly worried, as the shear amount of gaming to be had from 1 and 2 alone is more than enough.

Interplay's version of HoW does NOT have Starforce (at least the original release). Hell, IIRC it doesn't have any copy protection.

The Glop list is horrible. Many of those games don't have Starforce in the US.

Amazon has Quake 4 (I think even the collector's edition that includes Quake 2) for under $20 also, and two Metal of Honor games for under $10.

I would consider this, if I'm not playing NWN 2 right now. But I do remember, the game (or at least the first one) has an excellent soundtrack.

[quote name='Kyo']Fallout 1/2 FTW.

[/QUOTE]

Already have them. Maybe I'll get NWN compilation, but is it worth getting for the expansions alone? I already have the plain old original Neverwinter Nights.

bread's done
Back