ICO is pretty good so far...

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
I just started playing - I'm about an hour in and I'm really enjoying it. I think it is going to require some serious brain power to finish though without any help. Could this game actually live up to the hype?

I think it's a very good game. Some of the puzzles were a little tough, but I didn't need any help. It did take me a while to figure out all the switches and platforms and stuff on some of the larger puzzles. Good luck, and don't feel like a dummy if you end up needing help. ;-)

Even though the game itself only takes about 7 hours total to complete, it took me months to finish. I'd play it for a while, get stuck on a tricky puzzle, and ignore it for a few weeks. Eventually, I'd go back with a fresh head and clear the puzzle only to get stuck at another point. I'm glad I wound up playing it that way, as I think I was able to appreciate it a little more than I would have had I blown through it in an afternoon. Amazing game, and I can't wait for SotC.

Also, when you beat it, make sure you watch past the credits.

That game amazes me because of its simplicity.

It's minimalistic - the developers made use of very simple game mechanics to create an enjoyable experience.

I don't think it's "omg art" but I think it's ingenious.

I'm at the part where I just fought a billion black shadow monsters and we are in the courtyard and some lady appeared. I think I have to move the torches (or maybe light them somehow?) to progress further but it was almost 11 last night (waaaaay past my bedtime if I'm not at work) and I had to check my email and get to sleep... I really like it so far though...

I just started playing this last week, I just finished that part with the torches yesterday too. The only part I dont like is the fighting, it gets really boring really fast.

[quote name='javeryh']it was almost 11 last night (waaaaay past my bedtime if I'm not at work) and I had to check my email and get to sleep...[/QUOTE]

And you call yourself a gamer. Geez, kids these days. . . :D

[quote name='Ledhed']Even though the game itself only takes about 7 hours total to complete, it took me months to finish. I'd play it for a while, get stuck on a tricky puzzle, and ignore it for a few weeks. Eventually, I'd go back with a fresh head and clear the puzzle only to get stuck at another point. I'm glad I wound up playing it that way, as I think I was able to appreciate it a little more than I would have had I blown through it in an afternoon. Amazing game, and I can't wait for SotC.

Also, when you beat it, make sure you watch past the credits.[/QUOTE]haha yeah.

I played it monday nite for my first time in like 2 months.

I didnt kno ure supposed to turn the water off... I was stuck on dat part

I think alot of game developers tend to forget minimalistic types of approach. It's what the game industry was born off of like mario bros and breakout. Heck, even myst is an insanely mindbending minimalistic game... just point and click.

i loved this game, but the ending never really made me cry. Some of the best overal desing I have seen in any game of this generation.

The Japanese version had some stuff that, playing through a second time, you could unlock. For whatever suck-ass reason, they cut that stuff out of the American version.

We're Americans, we should get MORE dammit (lookat Xenosaga for example...)

It's funny, I was going make a topic on this game.But anyway, I just got past lighting the torches as well. I REALLY like this game! Also the art design is very good.

Someone mentioned simplicity, that's one of the things I like about the game it's not overly complicated(except trying to figure out what to do next). And the charcters/story is interesting to me so far. (I want to keep playing to see how this will play out)

I would say I got a excellent game for $8.00!

And as far as cover art etc. The ICO LE in the UK looks sweet!(even there cover art is WAY better than ours) I wish we got that over here.

http://i6.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/9f/32/b8_1_b.JPG

I agree with most of the posters here that it takes a long time even though it's about a 7 hour game. I stopped playing for about 2 months before picking it up again and finally completing it.

What I liked about the game was that it was so relaxing to play. Just walking outside of the castle, I actually felt like the sun was shining on my face. I loved how you could feel Yorda's pulse when you hold her hand (if you have vibration on) and the creepy sound the shadow demons make when they appear.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have much replay value, but I kept my copy anyway, just to recommend and lend to friends.

I don't know if you guys noticed, but sometimes the name of the save file is a pretty good hint of what to do next. For instance in the beginning, one of the saves is called "the windmill" I believe. Don't give in and use a guide. I found every time I got stuck was because I was overthinking something. I beat the game in 4 sittings and I think I've only finished 5 games in the last 7 or more years. Absolutely breathtaking at times.

[quote name='repetske']I don't know if you guys noticed, but sometimes the name of the save file is a pretty good hint of what to do next. For instance in the beginning, one of the saves is called "the windmill" I believe. Don't give in and use a guide. I found every time I got stuck was because I was overthinking something. I beat the game in 4 sittings and I think I've only finished 5 games in the last 7 or more years. Absolutely breathtaking at times.[/QUOTE]

Progress: I saved last night right at the windmill. It took me forever to figure out how to get through the last door and it was super easy in the end (I didn't realize you could get Yorda to stand where you wanted). Also, my one gripe is the fighting. They really don't even need any type of monsters to make this game great - just pure puzzles...

[quote name='javeryh']Also, my one gripe is the fighting. They really don't even need any type of monsters to make this game great - just pure puzzles...[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. While I'll admit the sense of knowing that the monsters can appear at anytime (especially at times when Yorda is alone) makes for a nice tense atmosphere, the fighting itself is a bit repetitive. I'd love nothing more than straight puzzles.

Or, if you're gonna put fights in there, make them goddamn epic like they will be in SotC.

[quote name='Ledhed']Or, if you're gonna put fights in there, make them goddamn epic like they will be in SotC.[/QUOTE]

I really really hope this game delivers. The early impressions haven't been favorable so far and it worries me a bit... I really want this game to be great.

[quote name='javeryh']I really really hope this game delivers. The early impressions haven't been favorable so far and it worries me a bit... I really want this game to be great.[/QUOTE]

What have you been reading? Everything I've read from hands on previews have just been gushing with praise. The only uncertainty I heard about was the framerate, but even that's been improved recently. Check out the videos at 1up.com.

PLAY magazine's SotC issue was cool (especially the pics, as usual), and pumped me for the release. But the thing I experienced with ICO was/is that when I stop playing because of difficulty, and come back say a month later, I have NO clue what I was doing. I think I'm in the middle of a puzzle, or maybe I accudentally back tracked a bit too far looking for my goal, and saved there, so maybe I have to "go back" to where I was ahead?...it's so annoying I haven't touched the game in a year. When games get so stylish they leave out maps and directional hints, I wonder if it's for the better. That's one worry I have of SotC

[quote name='javeryh']Progress: I saved last night right at the windmill. It took me forever to figure out how to get through the last door and it was super easy in the end (I didn't realize you could get Yorda to stand where you wanted). Also, my one gripe is the fighting. They really don't even need any type of monsters to make this game great - just pure puzzles...[/QUOTE]

I liked the fights. just the potential for one had me nervous every time I had to leave Yorda somewhere. I wish the enemies tried a little harder to get her though.

I have to admit, I had to use a FAQ at some points(like at the windmill. I knew what to do, but I couldn't figure out how to do it) Theres a good one on Gamefaqs that gives you a hint at a time before telling you exactly what to do.

What version of the PS2 do you guys have? I really want to buy and play this game but the last time i tried it, there were some serious problems due to the game being a blue bottomed disc. I didn't get a disc read error but I did get a constant shaking of the screen that rendered the game unplayable unless you want eye problems afterwards. The same thing happened when I tried playing PS1 games after putting in that Ico disc. That problem never occured when I tried playing PS1 games before. It's really quite bad because I can't finish my Final Fantasies anymore!!!

[quote name='The Don']What version of the PS2 do you guys have? I really want to buy and play this game but the last time i tried it, there were some serious problems due to the game being a blue bottomed disc. I didn't get a disc read error but I did get a constant shaking of the screen that rendered the game unplayable unless you want eye problems afterwards. The same thing happened when I tried playing PS1 games after putting in that Ico disc. That problem never occured when I tried playing PS1 games before. It's really quite bad because I can't finish my Final Fantasies anymore!!![/QUOTE]

I've got the new slim model. My old one didn't read ANY blue-bottomed discs EVER. Sony sure makes some quality shit.

Best hint advice I can give for this game is to not overthink things. I got stuck on one spot literally for hours because I was completely overthinking it. I read a FAQ (I was terribly pissed but didn't want to sit on the same board any longer) and kicked myself for overcomplicating things. After that, it was smooth sailing.

I never went back and got the Mace, though. I'd like to play with that thing.

The fights aren't that bad - once you get the sword they go a little quicker, and they add a bit of tense-ness to an otherwise mellow game. They did them right by not making the fights too complicated, more like brief distractions from the puzzles.

Next month's Original PSM has a Shadow of the Colussus demo - certainly looking forward to that one. Hoo-rah for my free subscription.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']I never went back and got the Mace, though. I'd like to play with that thing.[/QUOTE]

Unless you have the Japanese version, you can't get the Mace.

[quote name='camoor']Unless you have the Japanese version, you can't get the Mace.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it's the lightsaber-like weapon that is not available in the US version. The mace is in there.

bread's done
Back