Quake 3: Team Arena
Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Spear of Destiny
Ultimate Doom
Wolfenstein 3D

all for $62.95*

Right now it's 10% off all bundles. It says "limited time" not sure when the discount ends. so normally this would be about $70 bucks.
http://www.steampowered.com/v/index.php

=======================================

Heretic + Hexen Bundle

Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
Hexen
Hexen 2
Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel

All for: $9.95

=======================

Quake Collection

Quake
Quake 2
Quake 2 Mission Pack: Ground Zero
Quake 2 Mission Pack: The Reckoning
Quake 3: Arena
Quake 3: Team Arena
Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
Quake Mission Pack 2: Dissolution of Eternity

All for the price of $26.95*

====================================

Doom Pack Complete

Doom 3
Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil
Doom 2
Final Doom
Master Levels for Doom 2
Ultimate Doom

All for the price of $35.95*

====================

Wolf Pack

Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Spear of Destiny
Wolfenstein 3D

All for the price of $17.95*

==========================

Doom 3 Pack

Doom 3
Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil

All for the price of $26.95*

=======================================

*These prices are limited time 10% off prices. not sure when they will go back to normal pricing (except for the Heretic + Hexen bundle)

These were awesome games in their prime, but I'm not sure that they would capture my interest now. Granted that's a WHOLE SLEW of gaming for

I played Heretic the other day and it really didn't stand up as well as I remember it being.

Anyway, that is a TON of great games for the price.

I have most of those games already, but i have to use dosbox and vdmsound(somthing like that) to play. I wander if this means that at some point ID will offer an xp patch.

Sounds like a great deal to me. I doubt I'll spring for it, but a very good price for that much content.l

Too much bundles. Just buy what your interested in and ignore the rest. Most the stuff going to gather dust anyways.

[quote name='cdrober']Does anyone know if these were modified to run straight on Win XP? I know maybe this is a stupid question......[/QUOTE]
They're using a customized version of DOSBox. If you care, there's currently some discussion about them violating the GPL by distributing a modified, closed binary of a GPL'd work.

Pretty weak back catalog. The problem with Id's games is that, while many of them were revolutionary, few actually aged even reasonably well. Stuff like Quake 3 is still mildly entertaining, but the greatest contribution that game made was it's engine since there were many superior games that were made with it.

Personally I thought Quake 3 was nothing but a technology demo to begin with-but that's because I *HATE* deathmatch games. Geez, it wouldn't surprise me if the Quake 3 engine is STILL being used for something :D

I head Call of Duty 2 used it, which might have been the last game, but that's a loooong life.

I'd like some of the newer games that I missed, but yeah, I don't think the Doom engine stuff would be all the much fun anymore. Although actually I did enjoy playing some of that stuff on the GBA a few years back, and it was fairly fun.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Personally I thought Quake 3 was nothing but a technology demo to begin with-but that's because I *HATE* deathmatch games. Geez, it wouldn't surprise me if the Quake 3 engine is STILL being used for something :D[/QUOTE]
Actually, in an interview I read, the id guys said some of the Quake code is still in Hal-Life 2's Source engine. So if the entire engine doesn't live on, at least pieces of it do.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']No Commander Keen combo? Plus I didn't know that was iD, I thought it was Apogee or something like that.[/QUOTE]

IIRC, Id made the first one (when they were still affiliated with Apogee), and then Apogee made all the other ones. Which I think they still have available for downloda.

Are there any issues with using mods with the Steam versions of games? Half-life had that problem at first when it was ported to Steam, I'm wondering if any of these games suffer from that as well.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']No Heretic II? Weak, that was one of my favorite games. I wonder why that one wasn't included.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing.

I was wondering if it maybe got published by someone else and they could not get the rights or something. But looking them up both Heretic and Heretic II say Activision, and Raven Software. So I dunno.

PS. I found this if you absolutely must have it :
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.pro...CII-C&JRSource=zdnet.datafeed.MPY+HERETICII-C

Yeah. I'm guessing maybe it's too new? Originally I was thinking it's because it was by Raven (I think?) except there are other Raven games on there.

Actually SoD was a sequel to Wolfenstein. The story may have precluded the original Wolfenstein (don't know) but it was still the 2nd game.

[quote name='psiufoxx2']Wow... I had never even heard of Spear of Destiny until this post. A Wolfenstein 3D prequel? Jeez.[/quote]

[quote name='sandrockgundam219']all the cool people have original floppys of wolfenstein and doom ;)[/quote]
Yeah, and autographed by Carmack and Romero :applause:

[quote name='WarlordFDC']I was thinking the same thing.

I was wondering if it maybe got published by someone else and they could not get the rights or something. But looking them up both Heretic and Heretic II say Activision, and Raven Software. So I dunno.

PS. I found this if you absolutely must have it :
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Code=MPY+HERETICII-C&JRSource=zdnet.datafeed.MPY+HERETICII-C[/quote] I don't see it there... but I still have my old copy anyway, but if it was included, it might have resparked interest in the game and introduced it to many who missed it the first time around. I remember enjoying Heretic II more than Quake II or any other games in the FPS genre at the time until Q3 came out, and even afterward (though even at that point, a very small community left).

There were some really good mods like THF and the 1on1 blade combat stuff, but I suppose technically it was superceded when Jedi Knight II and its sequels came out.

i think everyone should at least pick up the Quake combo, Quake 3 is such a blast, even today! Quake 2 is timeless fun. at least i think so. The multiplayer is old school but fast paced crazyness. and the original Quake feels like a really old school simple shooter to just kill time with.

I tried the Hexen II demo on Steam, and the screen is nearly covered with black blocks. Too bad, I've always wanted to play that one.

[quote name='SevereTireDamage']I don't see it there... but I still have my old copy anyway, but if it was included, it might have resparked interest in the game and introduced it to many who missed it the first time around. I remember enjoying Heretic II more than Quake II or any other games in the FPS genre at the time until Q3 came out, and even afterward (though even at that point, a very small community left).

There were some really good mods like THF and the 1on1 blade combat stuff, but I suppose technically it was superceded when Jedi Knight II and its sequels came out.[/quote]

Glad you already have it. It was in stock when I posted, hopefully someone reading this that wanted one got it. Seeing this thread made me want to play it again too. I may have to find my copy and get it running again :D.

[quote name='Dezuria']I tried the Hexen II demo on Steam, and the screen is nearly covered with black blocks. Too bad, I've always wanted to play that one.[/quote]

If they give you the resource files you may be able to get it to work with one of the "improved" engines out there...

Hexen 2 (and Quake 1, Quake 2, Quake 3)
(Unofficial Quane Engine upgrades)
http://www.quake-engine.com/screenshot.aspx?game=hx2

There is also a version for Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, and Hexen...
(Doomsday Engine)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/deng

[quote name='Dezuria']I tried the Hexen II demo on Steam, and the screen is nearly covered with black blocks. Too bad, I've always wanted to play that one.[/QUOTE]

What would be causing black blocks on an old game like that? That's really strange. If it used your 3D hardware, I'd guess it was bad, but of course Hexen long predates that.

I hate all DRM schemes that require access to a server, or screw up your system like Starforce. I can't count the number of games I've haven't bought because of DRM. I'm not getting Bioshock (on PC at least), and I still haven't bought Half-Life 2. I would have bought that at launch 3 years ago if not for Steam :bomb:

DRM does suck, but Steam gives you a lot of benifits for using it, such as being able to download the game any time, anywhere, on any PC you want, and friends lists. I think the good out weighs the bad in Steam's case.

[quote name='thecrazyd']DRM does suck, but Steam gives you a lot of benifits for using it, such as being able to download the game any time, anywhere, on any PC you want, and friends lists. I think the good out weighs the bad in Steam's case.[/QUOTE]

yea i would have to agree with this. I'm not a big fan of Steam, but it's a pretty good alternative to most DRM media out there.

I picked up the Quake pack, Wolf3D, Spear of Destiny, and Commander Keen. The full pack of all the games is a good deal, but I can't see myself playing most of the others. They were the basis for all the new games but some of them are so pixelated in comparison to now it hurts my eyes to play them. Wolfenstein is pixelated too in comparison to more modern games, but it has alot more solid colors. I already played all of these over the years, but its nice to buy the favorites to replay.

Now if they would just get Rise if the Triad and I'd be happy. :whistle2:D

[quote name='thecrazyd']DRM does suck, but Steam gives you a lot of benifits for using it, such as being able to download the game any time, anywhere, on any PC you want, and friends lists. I think the good out weighs the bad in Steam's case.[/QUOTE]

The download thing doesn't seem very useful to me. It's a lot easier for me to have a disc with me than to have a broadband connection that'll let me download gigabytes of data :D

And friends lists-well, personally I don't care much about them at all, but there are 9 trillion instant messengers.

[quote name='AshesofWake']yea i would have to agree with this. I'm not a big fan of Steam, but it's a pretty good alternative to most DRM media out there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unfortunately that's probably true.

Really with Steam my biggest problem is just that if/when the services goes away (or whatever) you'll lose access to those games. At least with Steam that probably won't happen any time soon, but...

[quote name='Wolfpup']Really with Steam my biggest problem is just that if/when the services goes away (or whatever) you'll lose access to those games. At least with Steam that probably won't happen any time soon, but...[/quote]

If they don't officially release a patch to free the software of that function if Steam goes belly-up, even now there's ways (albiet illegal) to fix that.

I wouldn't know where to get them, and if I did, I'd probably be thrown in jail for the rest of my life for trying to play the games I bought. Thanks DMCA!

[quote name='Wolfpup']The download thing doesn't seem very useful to me. It's a lot easier for me to have a disc with me than to have a broadband connection that'll let me download gigabytes of data :D

And friends lists-well, personally I don't care much about them at all, but there are 9 trillion instant messengers.[/quote]
I have had times when I didn't have the disks around when it was usefull. Also, I prefer not to have to have a disk in the drive to play. And, yes, there are 9 trillion instant messangers, which is why I enjoy having one central one that everyone who plays the games use.

Hey -

The deal appears to have ended. I see no mention of the $62.95 price anymore; only the $69.95 price. Bummer. :cry:

Peace,
Spudwrench

bread's done
Back