Identity Theft gets me the shaft at Target

BigDirty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
12 (100%)
Recently I had a credit card of mine compromised, and I had the account closed to any traffic. All of the fraudulent activity was dropped, I was issued a new card, and all was well and good. That was until I had to make a return at the Edgewater, NJ Target.

I approached the customer service desk, playing by the rules that Target sets forth in their return policy. The item was still sealed and accompanied by its original receipt. I then explained to the cashier that the card that was used to purchase the item was compromised, and I am carrying the replacement card. She tried her hardest, but all she could do was offer store credit. So I escalated it to the team leader of the customer service area, and I got the same response.

The issue got escalated to the store manger on duty, to which I had to explain that, I purchased this, the card was compromised, and because my card was compromised, I have to accept that I can only spend that money in this company’s stores. Just like most sensible people are thinking, that just doesn’t sound right. So he had one of the clerks at the desk get on the phone to the guest services help desk.

After the store associate is off the phone, the phone gets handed to me to explain the situation, and I have to explain that in the cultural climate that we are in, where any card number can be compromised at any time, I find it ludicrous that the store does not have any plan for these types of incidents. I was told to take the gift card, instead I insisted on being transferred to a superior with whom the cycle began again. On the final transfer I was transferred to a woman going by the name of Amy.

The conversation began as amicable, and she understood the issue, that was until I inquired what could be done, and it immediately went into bullying about just taking the gift card, as “its policy”. When I began to mention for the fifth time about how I can’t use the card anywhere else, Amy became more and more belligerent, but apparently going through her script of how to handle a customer with this situation. I was also refused corporate information from this call, which while easily attainable on the internet, getting it from the representative on the phone makes it know that it has been escalated to a beyond serious issue. Trying to get me off the phone line, I was asked “Is there anything else I can do for you today?” Instead of leaving the issue die, I asked the semi-relevant question of “What steps does the Target Corporation use to protect the database of customers’ information?” only to get a “Why should I answer that response?”

Now I have a gift card from Target for just over $30 that I will not use. Not only the store, but the entire corporation, proved that they can’t handle issues that come up during any given day in American culture. Until the amount that I was refunded is actually returned in a currency that can be used outside the Target Corporation’s universe, and a plan is instated to prevent future instances of this, any plans of crossing the threshold of a Target are on hiatus.

that's ridiculous. my credit card got compromised and i got a new one just like you and had to return an item to wal-mart (two 8 dollar lamps) with receipt. at wal-mart if you pay by credit card, they just refund the money to your card. i told her that i no longer had the card and without hesitation or having to consult a manager, she just gave me the cash for the item. i think the only time you get store credit at wal-mart is without a receipt. i thought that's how it is anywhere. how is it that target's return policy is crappier than wal-mart's?

[quote name='crazylikeafox11']that's ridiculous. my credit card got compromised and i got a new one just like you and had to return an item to wal-mart (two 8 dollar lamps) with receipt. at wal-mart if you pay by credit card, they just refund the money to your card. i told her that i no longer had the card and without hesitation or having to consult a manager, she just gave me the cash for the item. i think the only time you get store credit at wal-mart is without a receipt. i thought that's how it is anywhere. how is it that target's return policy is crappier than wal-mart's?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I went in expecting, but it looks like greed trumps common sense these days.

You're definitely in the right here and the company should give you a refund rather than store credit. They obviously can't credit your CC, but they should be able to mail you a check or something. It also seems like something that might happen occasionally so they should have some process to deal with it.

So what, you never plan on shopping at Target again, and therefore have no use for store credit? I really don't see what the big deal is, or why Target should have to bend backwards because your credit card got compromised.

I'm going to have to side with Target on this one. They have to protect themselves in every way possible from return fraud these days, just look at the CAG forums and you'll see it's quite common among our group. Does it suck that you had your card compromised? Yes. But I find it hard to believe you had no intention of spending $30 in Target ever again. Return fraud is becoming a huge issue, and I for one applaud Target for being vigilant in their efforts to combat it.

[quote name='TiKi2']I think you should contact the BBB.[/quote]

They can't do a thing, as Target is under no obligation to even take returns. It is done as a courtesy to customers.

[quote name='TiKi2']I think you should contact the BBB.[/QUOTE]And the Consumerist.

Trade the GC here just to get its karmic taint out of your life.

[quote name='crazylikeafox11']that's ridiculous. my credit card got compromised and i got a new one just like you and had to return an item to wal-mart (two 8 dollar lamps) with receipt. at wal-mart if you pay by credit card, they just refund the money to your card. i told her that i no longer had the card and without hesitation or having to consult a manager, she just gave me the cash for the item. i think the only time you get store credit at wal-mart is without a receipt. i thought that's how it is anywhere. how is it that target's return policy is crappier than wal-mart's?[/QUOTE]I'm willing to wager it's because the cashier didn't feel like dealing with any trouble and just gave you cash.

[quote name='62t']I am also going to have to side with Target here. I think you overreacted.[/QUOTE]

How is that? Its his money and he should be able to have his money back if he returned the item to there specifications. End of story.

[quote name='onetrackmind']How is that? Its his money and he should be able to have his money back if he returned the item to there specifications. End of story.[/quote]

And there is where you are wrong. He paid with a CC, therefor it is the CC companies money. Target would have had no problem returning the tender used to pay. Businesses aren't going to start allowing you to ask for cash back on CC purchases. That's a Pandora's box they do not want to open, as they would come out very much on the losing end.

His money was from a credit card that he no longer has. It is not Target's fault that OP doesnt have the same credit card that he use to pay with. Should they be nice any give OP cash? Maybe. But I dont see how Target did anything wrong by only allowing store credit.

[quote name='onetrackmind']How is that? Its his money and he should be able to have his money back if he returned the item to there specifications. End of story.[/QUOTE]

Identity theft is a VERY touchy issue. For electronic transaction returns, most stores really can't just refund it to a different card (I understand it's the same person, but the actual credit card details are different) and they themselves had no proof that the card was reported as stolen (they probably saw it was cancelled).

I can't see things like the OP's situation happening too often so they probably don't even have a way out of it. Not only that, but it sounds suspicious (not saying the OP was trying to pull a fast one, just that Target actually watches it's ass very carefully when it comes to being screwed).

That Wal-Mart story sounds like a lazy/dumb-ass employee who probably didn't know what to do and wanted to get it over with... so I'm not surprised there.

I'm siding with Target here... they're more expensive and I've never gotten a good deal there but I go there because of their customer service, which has been top notch.

To OP, you should have contacted corporate... they could have probably done more to help you.

Being that I used to work in the credit card fraud department at a large bank, I can tell you that the first associate did do her job correctly in not allowing you to return a purchase on another card with a new number. However, I will let you in on a little secret; just because the card number changes does not mean that your account number changes. At a bank there are two account numbers for every card issued. One is the physical card number located on the front of the card. The other account number is an internal number that is only dealt with by associates and the credit card system handling your account. The associate does not know this account number for security reasons so do not ask them, trust me. This internal account number in the system is what makes the "return" on the card possible.

The number on your card is mainly used for tracking purchases and that's about it. When you make a purchase with that card, the card number is transmitted to the banking institution, and then the bank "ok's" the transaction using the card number and internal account number as one step of verification. Yes, there are many, many more steps to verification that happen in the 3 seconds after your card is swiped and approved.

So, in conclusion the associate did her job correctly, but she could have gone the extra mile by calling her merchant services who would in turn call the bank for verification. The bank would have spoken to you, verified who you are (especially if a compromised card situation had happened), and then verified the purchase history as being legit and told the associate to return the funds on the card while they waited on the phone for verification. That's what I would have done if you got me on the phone anyways :)

If anyone has any questions about situations like this, don't hesitate to ask me or PM me. I worked there for about a year and I saw many, many things and dealt with many, many situations involving fraud.

You also could have had the money refunded to your original "compromised" card and once the money reached the bank they would have looked at the now canceled card and issued the refund to your current card / checking account. I've had to do this in the past with a lost credit card and it worked perfectly. I've even had to do it with a bank account that was altogether closed and they refunded to the closed credit card, it went through and the bank sent me a check for the amount...

There are ways!

I work at Lowes, in the returns department, and for us.. We have to return to the orginal card of purchase, or a store credit as well. The computer basically tells us what to do, and we can't over ride it. Nor can anyone in the store, not even the highest manager.

It's frusterating, but there's really nothing that can be done. It sounds like Target has a similar system in place

Why can't you use a $30 gift card at Target? They sell pretty much everything... buy food or something with it and just call it an experience. Worst case just donate it to a local charity or something.

[quote name='BigDirty']

Now I have a gift card from Target for just over $30 that I will not use. Not only the store, but the entire corporation, proved that they can’t handle issues that come up during any given day in American culture. Until the amount that I was refunded is actually returned in a currency that can be used outside the Target Corporation’s universe, and a plan is instated to prevent future instances of this, any plans of crossing the threshold of a Target are on hiatus.[/quote]

Put your card up as a contest prize here on CAG if you don't want it.

That being said, I would write to Consumerist. An EECB would probably do the trick.

[quote name='InvaderZim']Why can't you use a $30 gift card at Target? They sell pretty much everything... buy food or something with it and just call it an experience. Worst case just donate it to a local charity or something.[/quote]
He won't spend it because he dosen't want to deal with Target anymore.

I'm not sure about Target, but at some stores there is a loophole where you can buy items with a gift card, return them the SAME DAY, and request and receive cash back.

[quote name='62t']I am also going to have to side with Target here. I think you overreacted.[/quote]

This.

You obviously shopped at Target once, whats the big deal about doing it again. Can you seriously not think of $30 worth of items you'd want from Target? They have this AWESOME caramel covered popcorn thats like $3 a jar. Get 10 jars of that and your problem is solved.

Why do people feel the need to make such a huge deal out of such mundane crap? It's like that guy that raised hell to get a flash stick CC was sold out of. The ad said no rainchecks but he tore across the internet crying like a baby until he raised so much bad PR that CC finally just gave it to him to shut him up.

Maybe if people like you weren't such huge pains in the ass over trivial issues customer service would be a little more friendly.

[quote name='Bioshocked360']He won't spend it because he dosen't want to deal with Target anymore.[/quote]
Oh yea, that'll show them! Not only do they get their merch back, but they also get his $30 as he wont spend it there. I'm sure Target will feel that sting for some time to come.

[quote name='Kayden']This.

You obviously shopped at Target once, whats the big deal about doing it again. Can you seriously not think of $30 worth of items you'd want from Target? They have this AWESOME caramel covered popcorn thats like $3 a jar. Get 10 jars of that and your problem is solved.

Why do people feel the need to make such a huge deal out of such mundane crap? It's like that guy that raised hell to get a flash stick CC was sold out of. The ad said no rainchecks but he tore across the internet crying like a baby until he raised so much bad PR that CC finally just gave it to him to shut him up.

Maybe if people like you weren't such huge pains in the ass over trivial issues customer service would be a little more friendly.

Oh yea, that'll show them! Not only do they get their merch back, but they also get his $30 as he wont spend it there. I'm sure Target will feel that sting for some time to come.[/quote]

Awesome post!!!! :applause::applause::applause::applause:

i understand target's policy on this one. they are simply following it. but what you should have done is call the credit card company and have them speak to the CSR or the store manager (the higher ups at the store). 3 way should be good for this type of situation. this issue is actually rare. but its something that the company and others should be looking at to deal with it properly.

another thing you could do is call the credit card company and tell them your situation and how target handled the situation. maybe they'll credit you back the $30+ you lost. try to ask the consumerist.com and see what they say.

I'm with those that think Target was in the right. Most places probably would not have allowed a cash return to you in this particular situation.

Plus, Kayden got the $30 part right...there's gotta be something at Target to purchase for that.

Also, this isn't identity theft. They didn't open an account for themselves using your credentials without your knowledge. They either stole it or you lost it and they found it. Minor, I know, but it's still just plain theft.

30 dollars isn't a big loss. If it was something like 300 dollars, yea I would launch an EECB and write to the consumerist to make some noise.
But for now, just be glad they gave you something back instead of walking out empty handed.

If they didn't have this policy, people could just find any old receipt lying around on the ground and use it to grab stuff and do a fake return onto their 'new credit card'.

[quote name='62t']I am also going to have to side with Target here. I think you overreacted.[/quote]

I'm afraid that I agree. I understand your point and the principle behind it, but given the situation I think it's a reasonable compromise. What did you plan on spending the $30 on that you can't by at Target?

It sucks, but far from an issue worthy of the frustration experienced with the drones at their call center.

[quote name='MrDubbs']I work at Lowes, in the returns department, and for us.. We have to return to the orginal card of purchase, or a store credit as well. The computer basically tells us what to do, and we can't over ride it. Nor can anyone in the store, not even the highest manager.

It's frusterating, but there's really nothing that can be done. It sounds like Target has a similar system in place[/QUOTE]

There's a very easy fix to that. Issue the giftcard as the computer wants you to do. Have a manager standing by who can then cash out the giftcard and return the cash to the customer. You already know the customer bought it because the system validated the receipt and return as valid so there's no fraud here. ANY store can have a manager override the system to cash-out a giftcard, heck CSM's (the red coats) at Wal-Mart can do that. You don't even need an ASM or SM to do that there.

There's a fine line between "company policy" and "pissing off the customer so they won't shop here again." That Target likely lost customers now because no customer will tell their friends about good customer service, but 1 customer will tell 10 friends about bad customer service. (And even more than 10 friends, they'll tell complete strangers on the internet too!)

[quote name='xbox_mole']There's a very easy fix to that. Issue the giftcard as the computer wants you to do. Have a manager standing by who can then cash out the giftcard and return the cash to the customer. You already know the customer bought it because the system validated the receipt and return as valid so there's no fraud here. ANY store can have a manager override the system to cash-out a giftcard, heck CSM's (the red coats) at Wal-Mart can do that. You don't even need an ASM or SM to do that there.

There's a fine line between "company policy" and "pissing off the customer so they won't shop here again." That Target likely lost customers now because no customer will tell their friends about good customer service, but 1 customer will tell 10 friends about bad customer service. (And even more than 10 friends, they'll tell complete strangers on the internet too!)[/quote]

If only it was that simple. You can't do something a company won't allow and get away with it. There's only so many things that can be done. However, I agree in this case, that's what should have happened.

But trust me, with Lowe's they do more then enough to keep customers comming back. I've taken back 2 year old grills, mowers, etc you name it. With these things being in horrible shape, things that most companies would just laugh you off with.

There's also a fine line between pleasing a customer and staying in business. I'm all for doing everything you can to bring a customer back, but companies need to draw the line somewhere.. The line in THIS case was drawn too short though

I'm siding with none.

Target doesn't have a process for that, nor are they the types that would hand out cash. Target had strengthened their return policy... sucks... but where are you going to go.. Kmart? Walmart?... hmm

I think the OP overreacted a tad... $30 is $30... not like Target is only selling pets ... and those pets are rabid ferrets that no one wanted... Target has something for $30... ...

Food is good choice... just buy something nice... heck, buy cards for the next year for family members... something.

I think... CS would be better if there wasn't people that were difficult. If everyone was cheery... would we have any stories of bad service?

Buy something that is over $20 with tax, etc (make sure it is returnable).

The GC now has less than $10, so they have to give cash value.

Return the item you bought, and they give you a GC back.
Repeat

Personally, i wouldn't be too pissed (and I'm sure I could find a clearance game or three to put it towards), but with gas prices what they are (among other things) I can see your side too.

Hope this helps.

http://www.shopdiary.com/2008/01/12/california-gift-card-law-get-cash-back-from-your-gift-cards/

I can see why on principle you would get worked up bout this but honestly it is only $30. I could understand you being mad if it was a couple hundred or something but really you shouldnt get so upset...

[quote name='xbox_mole']There's a very easy fix to that. Issue the giftcard as the computer wants you to do. Have a manager standing by who can then cash out the giftcard and return the cash to the customer. You already know the customer bought it because the system validated the receipt and return as valid so there's no fraud here. ANY store can have a manager override the system to cash-out a giftcard, heck CSM's (the red coats) at Wal-Mart can do that. You don't even need an ASM or SM to do that there.

There's a fine line between "company policy" and "pissing off the customer so they won't shop here again." That Target likely lost customers now because no customer will tell their friends about good customer service, but 1 customer will tell 10 friends about bad customer service. (And even more than 10 friends, they'll tell complete strangers on the internet too!)[/quote]

Lol if only the system was that flexible it'd make my job easier. The managers have to go through the system the same as any other employee and thus can only do what the system will allow and then if the system won't allow it you have to go through the line like they did above and from there its up to corporate. Thus the manager did all he could.

If you buy something with a credit card and return it, the only two options are refund the original card or store credit. Anything other than those 2 options are credit card fraud. Target is following company policy and just about every store I have worked at would have done the same thing. The best solution is the gift card, If you fuss enough once you get the gift card and come back, you WILL get your money. I would do it just to make my day easier.

bread's done
Back