Id's RAGE out TODAY. Excited?

deletion

CAGiversary!
Anyone plan on picking this up or have it already? How are controls setup? Does it compare or play close to Borderlands? Wanting to pick this up because it reminded me so much of borderlands. It'll be my fix until Borderlands 2 is out. Any thoughts would be great!!

I'm gonna pick up my preorder in a few minutes. I'm excited to try it, but judging by this forum, not many people care for it

Just played for about 2 hours. I really enjoy the campaign, although I wish the story was a little better. It seems like I'm just running around doing pretty pointless missions

I've really been looking forward to RAGE but my $60/game plate is just too full right now for it content-wise. (soon as it drops a bit it will be mine!)

wow, just wow...I don't know if it was b/c I was trying to fight off the start of a cold or what last night, but after 10 minutes, I could not stay awake while playing this game. Sure the graphics were the best I've ever seen, shooting was good..but I just got confused and discombobulated trying to navigate that dang ghost house. For something that is linear, maybe they need markers or a mini-map or something b/c at times I had no idea where to go..

IDK, I'm not too thrilled I paid $50 for it (Target) so I just chalk it up to me having supported THE pioneers for FPS games..

Picked it up last night, played about an hour or so. so far i'm enjoying it very much. beautiful looking game. controls are pretty spot on. and i'm liking the save anywhere/anytime. makes it easy to save and quit anytime, especially when the wifey is nagging! price will eventually lower over time, but i just had to get this.

[quote name='token2k6']wow, just wow...I don't know if it was b/c I was trying to fight off the start of a cold or what last night, but after 10 minutes, I could not stay awake while playing this game. Sure the graphics were the best I've ever seen, shooting was good..but I just got confused and discombobulated trying to navigate that dang ghost house. For something that is linear, maybe they need markers or a mini-map or something b/c at times I had no idea where to go..

IDK, I'm not too thrilled I paid $50 for it (Target) so I just chalk it up to me having supported THE pioneers for FPS games..[/QUOTE]

Great point. I get lost often when there is no map on screen with a waypoint. It's funny though, since it is very linear (essentially only one entrance/exit per area). It gets frustrating with the invisible walls and inaccessible areas that would appear to be accessible

Picked it up from Redbox yesterday because I wasn't certain I wanted to pick up my BB pre-order. I'm loving the game so far though despite everything that tells me I shouldn't :D

Quick question, when I try to enter the sewers I get a message that I need to redeem a code or purchase this DLC. Are the sewers exclusive to the Anarchy Edition? I only remember seeing those few items as being exclusive to the Anarchy edition. I'm gonna return the Redbox copy and pick up my pre-order but I'm still curious about that.

[quote name='woodcan']Picked it up from Redbox yesterday because I wasn't certain I wanted to pick up my BB pre-order. I'm loving the game so far though despite everything that tells me I shouldn't :D

Quick question, when I try to enter the sewers I get a message that I need to redeem a code or purchase this DLC. Are the sewers exclusive to the Anarchy Edition? I only remember seeing those few items as being exclusive to the Anarchy edition. I'm gonna return the Redbox copy and pick up my pre-order but I'm still curious about that.[/QUOTE]

yeah the sewer is definitely DLC via code in the Anarchy Edition. The 'slip' is actually front and back with the extra weapons, buggy, etc. So, two codes on one card. The file size for the sewers is like 346mb, while the Anarchy Edition is just a 100kb unlock key for all items (not like Uncharted 2 GOTY where you get like 20 unlock keys for various things(that was really annoying)..)

I wasn't excited for this, but I saw a video review and really think I will like it. But with my backlog and all the other games on the horizon (UC3, Arkham, etc) I will wait to get it for $20 or less. But it looks like a fun game. And the graphics are really detailed it seems.

I'm waiting till its 20 bucks or so. It looks cool as hell and its suppose to be the best looking console game out (for both the PS3 and 360). However the campaign is on the shorter side (10-12 hrs) and the car combat multiplayer mode leaves very little in terms of replay value for me, I can totally see how some may dig that kind of gameplay.

Played the game for a couple of hours last night and wow, the pop in textures are so bad its not even ridiculous. Everytime I turn around in a room the textures take like 1-2 seconds to load. I hope they can patch this somehow because its super annoying.

Really? I didn't think the pop-in was bad at all. That usually bugs me (unreal engine mostly), but when I saw it last night it seemed to go from good texture to better texture so it wasn't annoying.

Hard to get excited about it when I still have Borderlands to finish (different game style I know, but similar setting) and a freshly purchased Dark Souls, but I'll pick it up eventually either cheap for PS3 or during one of the holiday steam sales.

I've experienced varying degrees of pop-in. When I'm full-on in action I don't notice it at all but when I'm just staring at the environment looking at something up close and turn away and quickly back again yeah there is noticeable pop-in. It's never taken more than half a second to load a texture though and that's when I quickly look somewhere at something up close. Overall, it's nowhere near Unreal Engine pop-in where characters and environments are often grey blobs for "several" seconds before textures load. I've been very happy with the game to the point where I decided to pick up my preorder after renting. I hear when installed to the HDD on 360 the texture loading is even less noticeable if that really bugs you and you have both systems but I decided having only a 7.6GB install and a single disc was a big enough deal to me over the 360 version.

^Is there an additional install option on the PS3? I thought it did that automatically. I don't know because I put the disc in (auto-start disc enabled) while watching TV and when I flipped over it was ready to play.

That said, I am in the first big town right now and did all the races I could do in my buggy and it's super badass now. I played for probably 3 hours last night and all I did was buggy races. Time to get my actual car so I can progress along.

The thing that's beginning to impress me the most about this game is the overall quality on the NPC models. So many games have solid looking backgrounds, playable characters ect, and then have these really rough looking NPCs all over the place. These people are really sharp looking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the game auto-installed the first time I put it in without any option. I've never seen any additional install options.

I'm still really enjoying the game but haven't had a chance to play as much as I like solely because of TV availability on the TV I have the PS3 hooked up to.

I think I may be about to start my last mission (based on some of the dialogue). I've really enjoyed it so far. Not intending to play it again, but I'd definitely be interested in some DLC.

Something that might be useful, and is well within the skill set of those in this forum. In the 2nd big city, there is a guy that is basically Woot.com. He sells one item only at low cost (it changes everytime you leave the area). Anyway- there are some good flips between him and the real store if you have the patience to do it. I maxed out my ammo on the weapons I use and bought enough components to never have to spend much time without a bot at my side and a bag full of wing sticks.

[quote name='nbballard']Something that might be useful, and is well within the skill set of those in this forum. In the 2nd big city, there is a guy that is basically Woot.com. He sells one item only at low cost (it changes everytime you leave the area). Anyway- there are some good flips between him and the real store if you have the patience to do it. I maxed out my ammo on the weapons I use and bought enough components to never have to spend much time without a bot at my side and a bag full of wing sticks.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, I'll have to look into who/where that guy is. Is the "real store" in the same city because I'd imagine that would be a pain to go through all the loading screens.

bread's done
Back