If anyone was effected by BB.Online Price Changes read here (Possible BBB dispute)

Brian9824

CAGiversary!
Feedback
83 (99%)
After contacting BB.Online and confirming their policy I will be calling corporate on monday since its toll free and talking to them. If they don't answer my questions i'll be opening a BBB dispute for the heck of it.

I don't agree with their policy of charging 2 different prices for the same service based on how much they THINK you will rent that month from them.

It's basically like you go into a buffet and pay $8 while your friend has to pay $12 because they think he will eat more. Its discrimination and not much different then what netflix got in trouble over in the past.

Would anyone else be willing to file disputes as well? It's free and pretty simple.

[quote name='GrilledWitOnions']I have something liek 150 titles in my queue (for if/when I ever subscribe again), and I think I want to see them all. It's true that without 30 titles in the queue it tends to get stuck and not ship, but I never had a problem finding something to put in there. (TV shows work great since a typical show is 5 or 6 discs right away).

And I have never even seen a Family Video; my town and the two neighboring cities have only Blockbusters, Hollywoods, and Showtime (which I think is local?). But my town is just Blockbuster and Hollywood. And since movie gallery filed chapter 11, soon I guess it will just be Blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

I never have problems with the que and I tend to have 5 to 10 movies in it at a time. Also they deliver quickly usually within 2 days after I return one in store or by mail. I could also just be close to the distribution center. Unfortunately they also cut me to the 5 in store a month trade. Which bugs me to no end.

[quote name='slidecage']dont worry after a few months blockbuster will do that as well. Blockbuster will also never send you any NEW RELEASE MOVIES

[/QUOTE]

probably true. Of course the only movies that they have at their B&M are the new releases, so I just did the instore exchange to get a new release in store, and then get another film online, usually a criterion or other film that would cost too much money to get elsewhere.

Blockbuster Online is running a survey to see how people will react to the upcoming price increase to $34.99 a month. I cant imagine it'll be too well received.

For anyone looking to save some $, If you sign up using code "90430" you get a free month trial 3 out at a time, unlimited instore exchanges, and 1 free movie/game coupon per month then its $17.99 a month after that .

No idea if they'll bump you up to $24.99 after the 2nd month.

[quote name='honzoh']I already dont like the $25. Will drop the service COMPLETELY if it goes to $35[/quote]

I dropped it at the $25 increase. Only thing I miss is the free game rental.

I'm thinking of going back to my method of just recycling 2.5 month free trials. If you use a prepaid debit card with not enough $ on it (you can get one at about any walmart, cvs, or walgreens) they'll continue to try to charge you for the next 6 weeks before they cancel the account.

You have to re-fill your queue each time you start up a new account, but it sure as hell beats paying the $25 a month.

[quote name='Bezerker']Blockbuster Online is running a survey to see how people will react to the upcoming price increase to $34.99 a month. I cant imagine it'll be too well received.

For anyone looking to save some $, If you sign up using code "90430" you get a free month trial 3 out at a time, unlimited instore exchanges, and 1 free movie/game coupon per month then its $17.99 a month after that .

No idea if they'll bump you up to $24.99 after the 2nd month.[/QUOTE]

im going to try this around xmas or xmas eve since i heard the new plans take effect dec 27

[quote name='slidecage']the 49 cent movies i was talking about blockbuster sending me. Come monday and tuesday i might have 4 new release movies and 10 movies i want to see an nothing ships. They tell me i need to keep at least 30 movies in my Q. so i toss in 18 junk movies [/QUOTE]

Why are you tossing in junk movies? toss in criterions(there are literally hundreds of criterions that would cost loads of $$$ to buy, and you cant rent at Hollywood video, but you can rent cheap through BBO) or dvd seasons that never go on sale, or are new release(lost s3, heroes s1, rome s2, battlestar gallactica, sopranos, et all)

I dont have BBO anymore, i dont really have the time for movies so much but i probably should join up again, even if just for the 5 instore rentals per month, that is still more bang for the buck that i would get elsewhere

i've rented a ton of criterions and stuff that's too expensive to blind buy

saved me a fackwad of money since i found out that i hate about 75% of all criterion releases. lol.

but i also buy more now than i would have in the past, b/c i can preview stuff that i'm deciding whether to bite on... like obscure, weird things that are hard to find in BBuster.

i've been considering switching though, b/c of the in-store options and b/c of the BBuster exclusive releases, but then i realized that most of their exclusives are movies i can wait to see.... if i see them at all. after reading this thread, i'm staying put.

Netflix 4 out at a time seems to be a pretty much perfect plan for me. A bump or two here or there but I also tend to get New Release stuff fairly often - when something will have a 'short wait' status, then gets auto promoted to 'arriving on Monday' Just got sent the Futurama movie like that today.

i wouldn't actually recommend Netflix to anyone, but i wouldn't discourage them from joining either.

nutflix online viewing is useless for people that have hd-dvd and bluray....i don't want to watch webcam compressed crap on a pc.

Blockbuster is has been idiotic about their online program. Netflix almost runs them out of business so they change their plan to the same price as Netflix, +unlimited in store returns and a free game rental a month. A fantastic deal. And have us push it in the store for a solid year.

Then bam, literally overnight and with no warning they get rid of unlimited rentals for everyone and the free game rental. And now they are skyrocketing the price of even that and of course they do it overnight and with no warning.

They realized that online exchangers don't buy enough candy to make them money apparently.

And now they want us to push the in store movie and gamepass b/c they are super high margins. The average game pass buyer pays 21.99 a month and rents 1 game.

So now everyone is going to switch back to netflix and bbv will be in the same situation it was 2/3 years ago. Getting some money from consumers who came back for the online is better than everyone paying your competitor.

Of course the CEOs goal to counteract this to make BBV a retail store. Despite that fact that most stores aren't designed to display and protect retail product the way its needed to sell. Oh and we are overpriced. But we have gourmet candy!

There is only one decent program at BBV now: Rewards. It actually saves people money, guess thats why they are talking about changing it.

[quote name='Sulik2']Oh and we are overpriced. [/quote]

Exactly. I went in tonight and was going to pick up The Bourne Ultimatum for my wife for Christmas using the massive credit I built up thanks to Beowulf. But at 22 frickin' dollars for the regular WS DVD, even with the easy credit I earned, it was still a rip off and I passed on it.

[quote name='sp00ge']Exactly. I went in tonight and was going to pick up The Bourne Ultimatum for my wife for Christmas using the massive credit I built up thanks to Beowulf. But at 22 frickin' dollars for the regular WS DVD, even with the easy credit I earned, it was still a rip off and I passed on it.[/quote]I used to be pretty upset over the prices, but from what I have heard, most retail stores pay pretty near to what they sell for. Blockbuster might charge a bit more but I think it's because they are mainly rental and aren't on the same scale as BB, CC, and WM. The big box chains like those might get cut better deals, or maybe take a bigger loss on new release titles.
Lately there have been average prices on movies, actually; Shrek amd Transformers I believe are both $17 right now. I was surprised Bourne wasn't $20 and was $22, since lately the big titles have been $20, and since WM apparently raised prices in my town on new release titles and we have no BB or CC, we are on par with them. Weird.

As far as programs, I finally realized tonight just what the CEO is doing with online. He dropped the price of 3-at-a-time by-mail by $1; it's cheaper than NF now (or rather will be when prices go into effect), and you can hopefully get quicker turn around time with returning in-store.

Customers that want movies right away and like to get new release titles can get movie pass 1 out for $22, a few dollars cheaper than what the unlimited pass was. But to get the best of both worlds you pay a very premium price.

I was disappointed at first at the whole thing, but if you're looking at it strictly from an online renting perspective, it's a good deal.

bread's done
Back