If I replace my GC....

Stargun007

CAGiversary!
I've recently started to get a few disc errors with my Cube. I called Nintendo and they said that since I'm past warranty, my only option is to buy a refurbished one from them for $50. I forgot to ask the CS guy, but maybe someone here will know if when I buy a new one I'll have to send my old one to Nintendo. If I get to keep it, then I think I will buy a refurbished one from them, since it doesn't happen that often on my old GC and I wouldn't mind an extra one.

Try taking alchohol and a q-tip and clean the laser.

Does it happen with every game, or just one? My Wind Waker gave me 2-3 DREs and it was brandnew. No game before it did it, nor has a game since.

So far it's happened with 2 games, both EA (NBA Street V3 and MVP2005). I've heard a lot of people have seen a few DREs and then they disappear. So far, it's been 2 weeks and I haven't encountered anything.

Still, back to the main question- will Nintendo want it back?

[quote name='Kayden']Try taking alchohol and a q-tip and clean the laser.

Does it happen with every game, or just one? My Wind Waker gave me 2-3 DREs and it was brandnew. No game before it did it, nor has a game since.[/quote]

Do not clean the lens. It will not help. Buy a gamebit at ncsx.com for around 6 dollars. Read the sticky at the top of the page for more information.

[quote name='b3b0p']I miss cartridges. No moving parts allows the systems to last longer and be more reliable.

Chris[/quote]

At least it's made by Nintendo. XBox and PS2 have far more mechanical problems...although I've had all 3 since their respective launches with no problems with each.

[quote name='Stargun007']So far it's happened with 2 games, both EA (NBA Street V3 and MVP2005). I've heard a lot of people have seen a few DREs and then they disappear. So far, it's been 2 weeks and I haven't encountered anything.

Still, back to the main question- will Nintendo want it back?[/quote]

My guess is there would be no reason for Nintendo to require you to give them your old one. You're not getting a warrenty replacement one for free, but just buying a refurbished one from them for $50. I would be very suprised if they requested you send them your old one. But why not just write them and ask them to make sure.

i had a couple DRE like years ago and i havent gotten one since. its probably just the game cuz my DRE happened when i was playing PSO.

I got DRE's whenever I played RE or RE2. Long story short, one day it fell off my shelf and hasnt gotten a DRE to this day and works perfectly :shock:

if you don't have to send it back you can seel your broken one for ~$30. someone on this site buys them and then fixes them for selling on ebay. not a bad deal if you can get in on that.

*bump*

I know I can save a few bucks by repairing it, but I wouldn't mind getting another GC, especially at $50. I'll probably fix the old one once I get a new one as well. I've e-mailed Nintendo and haven't gotten a reply yet. So does anyone have experience with this and know if I'll have to send in my old Cube?

Thanks, Moxio. It seems to have stopped now, but I guess if it happens again, I'll try fixing it myself. Just so I know, if I try to fix it and it doesn't work or I screw it up even more, can I still get it repaired by Nintendo?

I am pretty sure nintendo works like i know sony and microsoft do, if they are repairing your system / sending you a refurbished one you will need to send yours in. In which case, if you think you are going to do this, don't try and repair it yourself, since a broken warrenty (i.e. you open the system up to clean it) would mean they would send your problem system right back to you and no $50 refurbished. so decide if it's worth it first, i'd suggest being sure that you can pin point and fix the problem on your own before you poke around too much.

~

[quote name='tauruskatt']I am pretty sure nintendo works like i know sony and microsoft do, if they are repairing your system / sending you a refurbished one you will need to send yours in. In which case, if you think you are going to do this, don't try and repair it yourself, since a broken warrenty (i.e. you open the system up to clean it) would mean they would send your problem system right back to you and no $50 refurbished. so decide if it's worth it first, i'd suggest being sure that you can pin point and fix the problem on your own before you poke around too much.

~[/QUOTE]

Yeah, only fix your GC if your warranty is over and you want to fix it painlessly. Trust me, it's easy to do, and worth the time.

Yeah, my warranty is over, that's why Nintendo isn't replacing it for free. I hope the problem just disappeared now, though.

[quote name='Stargun007']I've recently started to get a few disc errors with my Cube. I called Nintendo and they said that since I'm past warranty, my only option is to buy a refurbished one from them for $50. I forgot to ask the CS guy, but maybe someone here will know if when I buy a new one I'll have to send my old one to Nintendo. If I get to keep it, then I think I will buy a refurbished one from them, since it doesn't happen that often on my old GC and I wouldn't mind an extra one.[/QUOTE]

You would be purchasing a remanufactured system, not a refurbished system. You would not have to send yours in, you would just be buying the replacement. You would also get a 1 yr warranty with this remanufactured system.

bread's done
Back