If the PS3 were $399, what would you do?

rabbitt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Obviousely one of the biggest counterpoints to buying a PS3 is its' huge price tag. If the currently $599 version were to be priced the same as a premium Xbox 360 ($399), what would you do?

I'd give it a long look at $400, but I think I'd still hold out for it to go lower. If $400 wasn't too expensive for me, I'd own an XBox 360 already.

I still wouldn't get one, there is literally one game that interests me, and I feel Sony really doesn't care about what does or doesn't come out on their system (cough PSP cough). I feel like they are so cocky that they just put out a console, say it's powerful, and let whatever happens happen. They assume that all the developers will flock to it, but I think they are in for a rude awakening this coming gen.

IF it launches at that price, I would buy it on day 1.
Otherwise, I'm not going near it. $600 is too much for a console. I would rather use the $600 and buy games for the cheaper consoles (PS2, GBA, DS, XBOX, PS1, etc.).
Good thing I have over 100 games that I still haven't played.
I'm guessing by that time, it would probably be $199 or so and there will be a clear winner for this console war.

Money isn't an issue for me in regards to the PS3, and I still wouldn't buy one. This coming from someone who bought a PS1 at launch and a PS2 at launch.

I'd definitely reconsider buying it at $400 but I'd still probably wait until there were a ton of exclusives to play and some GH games to buy. I have a 360 and I think it will do nicely for multiplatform games until the PS3 is too tough to pass on. Kind of like how I had only a Gamecube until August of 2002... at that point in time the PS2 had so many great games I couldn't ignore it anymore...

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I still wouldn't get one, there is literally one game that interests me, and I feel Sony really doesn't care about what does or doesn't come out on their system (cough PSP cough). I feel like they are so cocky that they just put out a console, say it's powerful, and let whatever happens happen. They assume that all the developers will flock to it, but I think they are in for a rude awakening this coming gen.[/QUOTE]Uh, Sony has released excellent 1st party games for PSP, such as Syphon Filter: DM, Daxter, etc. If they didn't care, they wouldn't even bother bringing games to the PSP, but they are.

I would still wait. I'll most likely end up owning one eventually because of the RPG support it will surely have. Although, after Oblivion, I don't know if I can go back to J-RPG's...

I think I'm going to wait until Christmas 2007 before getting a PS3 or (rebuying) a 360. By then, both systems should have at least a good half-dozen AAA games that aren't first person shooters or racing that interest me. I got a 360 at launch because I HAD to play Condemned (awesome game!), but after I beat that I realized I wouldn't need the system until Mass Effect & Lost Planet.

Since Wii will have Metroid Prime 3 and Zelda: Twilight Princess at launch this holiday, I know it'll be a worthwhile purchase right now.

I would get one for the 1080p support. My dad bought a 56 inch Samsung DLP that has 1080p resolution, but I've only seen a few videos that we got off of microsoft.com and I'd like to be able to watch movies and play games in 1080p, even though I'm not interested in that many PS3 games (I have never owned a PS2, and didn't enjoy the PS1 that I owned that much).

they would need better exclusives either first party or 3rd party. JRPG's don't interest me, and it is rumored assasins creed is coming to the 360

Its a funny thing, more people (including myself) chose to buy the system for $400, but the chances of the system failing would be MUCH greater if it was that cheap...

Games are still going to be too much... I'm betting $69, considering the price of 360 games and the fact that Blu-ray discs will likely cost more.

I'd pay $499 if we could get $49 games.

Voted for $400 still being too much.
I'm not opposed to owning either a 360 or a PS3, but not at $400 and definitely not $600.

As soon as the 360 price drops, I'm all over it. As soon as the PS3 goes for less than $400 (two or three years?), I'm all over it.

I would reconsider, but I think at the end of the day I'd still agree with my decision to buy a 360. There are already games I like on it and the future looks 10x brighter than what it is now. I will probably end up getting a PS3 at some point, but Sony doesn't have very many (if any) exclusives that I enjoy...San Andreas was probably the only one on PS2, but that was temporary. And the new GTA is being released simultaneously on the 360 and PS3. Katamari and Guitar Hero are the only other possible ones that I can think of right now.

Definitely reconsider, but still, as i am a CAG I'd wait for the price drop or deal. I rarely buy a console at launch and probably the only one from the next gen will be a Wii. 360 I can play at my friend's/uncle's house and I'm seeing more deals popping up for them so it's only a matter of time.

I'd have to compare the 360 and PS3 at the PS3 launch and then buy whichever I thought had the better games (both out then and exclusives coming later). They both look pretty similar at the moment.

Given Sony's record with the PS2's constantly breaking, I think I'm going to be in the boat of "not buying any launch systems" and that goes for Microsoft too.

I'll buy a PS3 for no more than whatever the Wii launches at, and thats if the developers havent jumped ship and there are actually some also affordable games at that point.

I wouldn't buy any launch systems (I'll never buy any Sony launch product), but I would eventually buy one, perhaps 6 months to a year after it comes out if it has games I want.

I guess no one wants the cheaper version... I'm thinking about it, cause I really don't need the HDMI outputs. Hey in the news, Austrailia and now Germany are doing their ps3 pre orders in major stores. Both get a free game with their order.

Source: http://www.i4u.com/article5989.html

It doesn't matter what price the system is at launch... you can still buy one and resell it on ebay for 25% profit. ;)

[quote name='Chris in Cali']I still wouldn't get one, there is literally one game that interests me, and I feel Sony really doesn't care about what does or doesn't come out on their system (cough PSP cough). I feel like they are so cocky that they just put out a console, say it's powerful, and let whatever happens happen. They assume that all the developers will flock to it, but I think they are in for a rude awakening this coming gen.[/quote]

Sounds like the Xbox.

Let me guess, you purchased it.

Where is the poll option, "Purchasing the $499 version".

I'd consider it at that price but even then I think I'd still pass until an exclusive I want to play comes out for it. Who knows, by then there might eve have been a price drop.

[quote name='Thomas96']I guess no one wants the cheaper version... I'm thinking about it, cause I really don't need the HDMI outputs. Hey in the news, Austrailia and now Germany are doing their ps3 pre orders in major stores. Both get a free game with their order.

Source: http://www.i4u.com/article5989.html[/QUOTE]

I do.
I just bought a brand new 29inc flatscreen tv for 250.
not a hdtv.
My NEXT tv i buy will be hdtv and have hdmi but that isnt going to be for at LEAST 3-4 years.

I have no use for hdmi on the 599 ps3.
Ill be buying the 499 version and be happy with it.

[quote name='Thomas96']I guess no one wants the cheaper version... I'm thinking about it, cause I really don't need the HDMI outputs. Hey in the news, Austrailia and now Germany are doing their ps3 pre orders in major stores. Both get a free game with their order.

Source: http://www.i4u.com/article5989.html[/quote]

True, but they have to preorder (in Germany at least) at 599 Euro, which is about $765. I'd want at least a free game with that.

TBW

I think I'll go for WiiS3 (or PSWii) in the end, but $400 is still a little costly... that's pretty much why I don't have a 360.

This isn't hypothetical for me. After tax and using up my store credit, I'll be paying $400 out of pocket. I still don't know if I'll get it, though...

If the premium was $500 I would buy it since I think a $100 increase over the 360 for Blu-Ray would be a bargain. If I were to buy at launch I would have to wait before buying games it and just use it to play my backlog of PS2 titles.

I've never paid more than $199.99 for a console, and definitely won't this gen as I don't game much any more (5 hours a week tops, lots of week none at all, and most is on my DS a bit before bed).

$400 for a console is still too steep in my opinion. I'll pick one up once it hits $200.

Oh, and before this comes up, I got my 360 for $150 after credit at Gamerush. I wouldn't pay $400 for that either.

The results thus far are a little surprising to me. For all of the Sony bashing that goes on, it seems that about 41% of you would reconsider.

[quote name='rabbitt']The results thus far are a little surprising to me. For all of the Sony bashing that goes on, it seems that about 41% of you would reconsider.[/QUOTE]

A PS3 is a lot of system for $400. It's like an Xbox 360 with:
FREE 40GB HD upgrade
FREE Blu-Ray Player
FREE Wi-Fi
FREE PS1/PS2 (backwards compatibility with nearly all games for thsoe systems)

Of course it's a deal. But even so, I'd get the 360 because when it comes down to the games the 360 wins. It's MGS4 and Assassins Creed vs Gears of War, Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, BioShock, Mass Effect, and Huxley. The 360 just has more games I want though most of them are FPSes.

If we can get some RPG lovin' (besides the questionable FFXIII) on the PS3 then I'll definitely buy a PS3 instead.

[quote name='Vinny']A PS3 is a lot of system for $400. It's like an Xbox 360 with:
FREE 40GB HD upgrade
FREE Blu-Ray Player
FREE Wi-Fi
FREE PS1/PS2 (backwards compatibility with nearly all games for thsoe systems)

Of course it's a deal. But even so, I'd get the 360 because when it comes down to the games the 360 wins. It's MGS4 and Assassins Creed vs Gears of War, Halo 3, Blue Dragon, Enchanted Arms, BioShock, Mass Effect, and Huxley. The 360 just has more games I want though most of them are FPSes.

If we can get some RPG lovin' (besides the questionable FFXIII) on the PS3 then I'll definitely buy a PS3 instead.[/QUOTE]
Assasin's Creed has been confirmed for the 360 already

Man, for $400... I'd probably get a PS3 and a Wii. Just considering the probabilities that 3rd party support wouldn't be in question then and all the big titles would return to the sony brand.

[quote name='I AM WILLIAM H. MACY']Assasin's Creed has been confirmed for the 360 already[/quote]

Well, if you want to play that game. Gears of War and Huxely are both scheduled to released on PC platforms.

As well as the majority of games released on 360, it is a console made by Microsoft a company thats main focus is on PC.

And its evident in the fact that the consoles top 3 games can also be purchased on the PC...

bread's done
Back