If Wii and the 360 cost the same, which would you get?

Evi1d33d

CAGiversary!
With the CC $40 off coupon the Wii will cost $210 and with an amazon deal the Xbox 360 core system will cost $100 ($200 after getting a 20GB HD). Which system do you think I should get?

Well they basically are the same, but I say Wii. To me Xbox 360 is only fun once you get online since the majority of games on the 360 are FPS games, and those are only fun online. But to get online running you'll need like... what 200 Canadian? Plus 60 Canadian each year after that. Then to get another controller and maybe an arcade game = 250, say 250-300 with tax. Add that to the cost of the system and you get probably around 800 with tax once you get a bundle. The Wii you can get everything including online, and games that are not just FPS and are actually fun to play alone such as Zelda and Mario...even though the online isn't great, and for about 400 Canadian you can get the Wii, 2 controllers total, and 1 game with tax included. So...you're really saving quite a bit of money, almost half, if you get a Wii.

Although if you really like FPS games and enjoy playing online and don't care about the money, I say an xbox 360. I just don't like FPS games except if they're online, so paying that extra money for online seems like a waste to me. Plus I'm thinking I'll like games such as Metroid Prime as an FPS much more with the mouse-like controller.

I'd say the Wii simply because the Xbox 360 is still sorely lacking in exclusives. Yeah, it got Gears of War, but what else is there? Some stuff that's also on the PC and the PS3 and a lot of other games that are pretty shitty. This next year should turn things around for the 360, but does the system have anything that can compare to Metroid, Mario Galaxy, and Smash Bros. Brawl on the Wii? I personally don't think so. If I had to go with one, it'd definitely be the Wii. But I have both because... well, they're pretty different and I need both.

[quote name='Chacrana']I'd say the Wii simply because the Xbox 360 is still sorely lacking in exclusives. Yeah, it got Gears of War, but what else is there? Some stuff that's also on the PC and the PS3 and a lot of other games that are pretty shitty. [/QUOTE]

The PS3 versions, though, will almost certainly be inferior because of the controller and online play.

[quote name='evanft']The PS3 versions, though, will almost certainly be inferior ebcause of the controller and online play.[/QUOTE]

PS3 versions are inferior right now because of the issues with developing for new hardware... stuff like CoD 3 runs like shit at times so yeah, the 360 version ends up being better and the lack of online play is definitely an issue. But that's also something that will definitely change in the next 6 months or so as devs. stop rushing stuff out the door for the PS3.

[quote name='Chacrana']PS3 versions are inferior right now because of the issues with developing for new hardware... stuff like CoD 3 runs like shit at times so yeah, the 360 version ends up being better and the lack of online play is definitely an issue. But that's also something that will definitely change in the next 6 months or so as devs. stop rushing stuff out the door for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

But will the online play magically get better? Will a unified XBL-like service appear? Will the controller be fixed? No.

360, definitely, espicially since you'll be waiting a long time for the Wii to overcome it's post launch drought.

And if you want online play, 360 is a no brainer... that shit is fun as hell.

If you can get a cheap 360, do it, because the library right now has exploded and it has a ton of games to play.

[quote name='Roufuss']360, definitely, espicially since you'll be waiting a long time for the Wii to overcome it's post launch drought.
[/QUOTE]

That's highly subjective.

[quote name='Strell']That's highly subjective.[/QUOTE]

Not really... according to Gamestop, Janurary has one game for the Wii, Feb. has one game for the Wii (But it's Blazing Angels, so it dosen't count), March has a handful of games with most being EA stuff, and if Super Mario Galaxy holds an April date that's the only thing there.

Chances are, the big N will push that one back since GS just has a placeholder date. May has one crappy Disney game, which brings us to June when "supposedly" Metroid Prime 3, Smash Brothers Brawl, and some other games come out and it looks like the drought will end.

I don't get how that's subjective... one game a month is pretty much a drought, and that's counting the fact that all these games hold their original release date. This is all according to Gamestop.com, so maybe some other release list is far different.

It's no different than any other console that launches, except maybe the PS3 since I haven't paid attention to it.

But still, if the guy can get a cheap 360, he can just play that library until the Wii builds a big library, and probably find a better deal on that.

[quote name='Spades22']1 good game a month is better than 500 shooters for me. Depends what type of games you like.[/QUOTE]

Because 360 has 500 shooters :roll:

Why haven't you been banned yet?

Can't you see the adults are trying to have a conversation?

[quote name='xghostsniperx']I'd get a Wii, just because you most likely will not get that Core system for $100.[/QUOTE]

Well hey, someone has to get it, it could very well be this guy ;)

Most people aren't going to finish all the games they got in a few weeks, let alone the multiplayer components of things like Wii Sports.

It's subjective because you're assuming everyone is going to buy and finish Zelda in a week like you told me you could, which is an insane idea. I only got time to play maybe 2-3 hours a day, and that's pushing it, and that would still take me 3-4 weeks to finish Zelda alone.

By then I'll probably have picked up Elebits and Metal Slug, which adds to the two games I've already got.

I don't need to go at a breakneck speed with the Wii, and there's absolutely no way Gamestop is the end-all-be-all king of knowing what comes out and when it does. I'm not saying Nintendo is gonna pull out a surprise game, but I'm not counting it out either.

I won't throw in a weak argument about VC games because it is a weak argument.

[quote name='Strell']Most people aren't going to finish all the games they got in a few weeks, let alone the multiplayer components of things like Wii Sports.

It's subjective because you're assuming everyone is going to buy and finish Zelda in a week like you told me you could, which is an insane idea. I only got time to play maybe 2-3 hours a day, and that's pushing it, and that would still take me 3-4 weeks to finish Zelda alone.

By then I'll probably have picked up Elebits and Metal Slug, which adds to the two games I've already got.

I don't need to go at a breakneck speed with the Wii, and there's absolutely no way Gamestop is the end-all-be-all king of knowing what comes out and when it does. I'm not saying Nintendo is gonna pull out a surprise game, but I'm not counting it out either.

I won't throw in a weak argument about VC games because it is a weak argument.[/QUOTE]

But still, I'm fairly certain you can finish Zelda in 6 months time and then what? There are other games but I'm not sure if they'll last an entire 6 months. I guess it's different with me since I only want the Wii for Nintendo games, and not the ports of everything else, like Metal Slug. I just used Gamestop as a source since that's pretty much the only thing they are good for is dates because they want your $$$.

Haha, you're really holding me to this Zelda thing ;) We'll make it a contest, when the GC version comes out I'll get it on release day and we'll see if I can't plow through it in a week :D

[quote name='Roufuss']
Haha, you're really holding me to this Zelda thing ;) We'll make it a contest, when the GC version comes out I'll get it on release day and we'll see if I can't plow through it in a week :D[/QUOTE]

That doesn't make your point any stronger.

It almost makes it weaker.

[quote name='Strell']That doesn't make your point any stronger.

It almost makes it weaker.[/QUOTE]

Eh, I don't really care about making a point, dosen't really matter to me what system this guy gets, but I'm pulling for him to be one of the 1,000, since that's cool as hell.

But you're the one who brought the Zelda thing up, not sure why. And by everyone, I mostly mean the hardcore "I waited in line for 24 hours for a Wii", and yea, I guarantee a majority of those people will plow through Zelda in no time flat.

If they have the time to wait an entire day for the system then I'm sure they took the entire day (today) to put 10 - 20 hours into the game.

[quote name='Roufuss']Eh, I don't really care about making a point, dosen't really matter to me what system this guy gets, but I'm pulling for him to be one of the 1,000, since that's cool as hell.

But you're the one who brought the Zelda thing up, not sure why. And by everyone, I mostly mean the hardcore "I waited in line for 24 hours for a Wii", and yea, I guarantee a majority of those people will plow through Zelda in no time flat.[/QUOTE]

I brought it up because it's a weak point you're foisting on the conversation, and it always has been.

If someone has the time to finish a supposed 60 hour game in a week, they need something else to do.

If I could manage that, I wouldn't have the backlog I have now, which includes great games for all sorts of systems. And this is why it is not that valid to sit there and proclaim "the drought = dead" for a system.

Now if someone ONLY has one system, then we're talking a little more on the level here. But I imagine anyone at CAG probably has more than one system at home, and if they are paying attention at all, they've got more than a few games in shrink wrap just begging to be played.

If you're going to play this card, what stops someone from saying "Well Gears of War can only be beaten in 8 hours?" Not a whole lot, except that some people keep playing it through a few times because it's still a fun game, and there's nothing wrong with playing it a second or third time through. I realize there's multiplayer but it doesn't seem to have the same draw that some other online games have, since everyone will inevitably go back to playing Halo 2.

Look, if you can manage an Xbox for 100, then it is obviously the better deal. But that's assuming you get it, which is like saying "If I found 600 dollars on the ground, would it be worth it to get a PS3, or should I just buy a 360 and some games?"

If they have the time to wait an entire day for the system then I'm sure they took the entire day (today) to put 10 - 20 hours into the game.

Now that's just silly.

[quote name='Strell']I brought it up because it's a weak point you're foisting on the conversation, and it always has been.

If someone has the time to finish a supposed 60 hour game in a week, they need something else to do.

If I could manage that, I wouldn't have the backlog I have now, which includes great games for all sorts of systems. And this is why it is not that valid to sit there and proclaim "the drought = dead" for a system.

Now if someone ONLY has one system, then we're talking a little more on the level here. But I imagine anyone at CAG probably has more than one system at home, and if they are paying attention at all, they've got more than a few games in shrink wrap just begging to be played.

If you're going to play this card, what stops someone from saying "Well Gears of War can only be beaten in 8 hours?" Not a whole lot, except that some people keep playing it through a few times because it's still a fun game, and there's nothing wrong with playing it a second or third time through. I realize there's multiplayer but it doesn't seem to have the same draw that some other online games have, since everyone will inevitably go back to playing Halo 2.

Look, if you can manage an Xbox for 100, then it is obviously the better deal. But that's assuming you get it, which is like saying "If I found 600 dollars on the ground, would it be worth it to get a PS3, or should I just buy a 360 and some games?"
.[/QUOTE]

But the thing is, I'm NOT looking at this from a CAG point of view... I'm looking at this in the light Nintendo put it in. They want people who have never gamed to buy their console, they want people who aren't hardcore gamers at all (and probably don't own other systems) and probably don't have a backlog to buy their system.

The mom's and the dad's and the friends who haven't gamed in years who are buying this system who only have the one release date list to look through. Then you get into "Those people won't plow through Zelda at all" but I even wonder if those people will buy Zelda? They seem more the Wii Sports / Excitetruck crowd, maybe Monkey Ball.

I mean, I don't know the OP's situation, but many many gamers don't have a backlog at all. I know alot of people who game and they buy one game at a time, beat it, and move to the next... a backlog dosen't exist for the majority of buyers.

We've gone waaaaaaay off the course of things ;) I say we should just bury the hatchet now before some of the more unruly CAG's break up our friendly discussion. Besides, don't you have a Wii to play with ;)

[quote name='Roufuss']We've gone waaaaaaay off the course of things ;) I say we should just bury the hatchet now before some of the more unruly CAG's break up our friendly discussion. Besides, don't you have a Wii to play with ;)[/QUOTE]

Mk, it's just that this isn't a very level question to ask, because it assumes you can directly pit the Wii and the 360.

We can't do that purely on a software scale, 'cuz the 360 has been out a year longer and has a library established already. It had a goddamn system drought for a while, let alone software (and there were numerous delays), so the same thing could have been aimed there.

The point is this:

Do you want to play Zelda and Wii Sports?

If the answer is no, then:

Do you want to play Gears of War, Dead Rising, and Oblivion?

If the answer is no, then:

Go for the bigger deal with the most options right now, which is the 360, without question. But good luck, as that seems to be the crux on which all of this rests.

I'd say in most instances, people in this situation who understand the market would get the HD consoles as a separate entity from the Wii, which provides a different interface, meaning it's worth your while to have one of the former compliment the latter.

And yea, I do. But I'm hungry. :( And I can't eat a Wii.

Mmmm. .... Well....

Unless you're deadset on only having one console, are these so-called "gaming droughts" really that bad?

I'm guessing people on CAG are pretty hardcore into gaming. Most probably have more than one console to fall back on.

Personally, I'm fine playing the hell out of launch consoles and going back to established consoles. I'll end up playing my Wii nonstop for a month and go back to PS2 or 360 for a few months until Wii gets some more releases. I personally don't have a problem with that at all.

[quote name='Strell']That's highly subjective.[/QUOTE]
Nope.

And for fuck's sake, how many ways are people going to find new ways to ask the same goddamn question?

[quote name='Roufuss']360, definitely, espicially since you'll be waiting a long time for the Wii to overcome it's post launch drought.
[/QUOTE]

That's funny. I thought Wario Ware, Metriod Prime 3, Elebits, Wii Play, Super Swing Golf, and Farcry are all hitting in the next two months (not to mention the Virtual Console games which are clearly better then the non-original 360 Live Arcade games so far). The Wii has quite a few more games coming out in it's post holidays three months then either the PS3 or the 360 did.

Having said that, always get the console that's been out longer just because your money will pay off faster. If you can get a $100 360, go for it.

I know this one probably might rub some people the wrong way but there's a shocking number of kid games for the Wii launch. No, I'm not talking about games that could be played by kids but rather the games that will only be played by kids like Happy Feet, Barnyard, Open Season, and Ice Age 2. I'm a little worried about that personally and I'm hoping its not a preview of what the future holds for the Wii.

The Wii because the 360's library has been lackluster so far. I'd just play my original Xbox as its far superior game-wise.

Definitely 360. There is pretty much nothing I care a lot about on Wii or even announced for Wii. But the 360 already has some great games (Kameo, Condemned, Rainbow Six Vegas in a few days, Dead or Alive 4). The answer also depends on whether you have a PS3 and a gaming PC though.

[quote name='Rozz']The Wii because the 360's library has been lackluster so far. I'd just play my original Xbox as its far superior game-wise.[/QUOTE]

You're actually saying the Wii's library is stronger than the 360's right now?

[quote name='RedvsBlue']You're actually saying the Wii's library is stronger than the 360's right now?[/quote]

Looking ahead in the months shortly coming up, yes.

[quote name='Rozz']The Wii because the 360's library has been lackluster so far. I'd just play my original Xbox as its far superior game-wise.[/quote]I know, the 360 game library sucks. Crappy games like Condemned, Call of Duty 2, Fight Night 3, Geometry Wars, Oblivion, GRAW, Dead Rising, Call of Duty 3, Gears of War, PGR3, F.E.A.R., Double Agent, Saints Row, Ultimate MK3, Prey. Those games are crap. And it's pretty easy to say, after the Wii being out for 1 day and the 360 being out 362, that the Wii has far more superior games.

:roll:

[quote name='Rozz']Looking ahead in the months shortly coming up, yes.[/quote]I know, 360 doesn't have anything good coming up in the next couple months. Except for Lost Planet. And BioShock. And Mass Effect. And Rainbow Six Vegas. And Blue Dragon. And Culdcept Saga. And The Darkness. And Forza 2. And Crackdown. And Timeshift. And Army of Two. And Assassins Creed. And Too Human. And Lost Odyssey.

Tough call, I'd really like to play Zelda on the Wii and Elebits looks like it will be fun, but then again I'd also really like to play Dead Rising and after hearing Wombat hype it up, Viva Pinata. So I guess I'd take the Wii, but I'd be happy either way.

show me a Wii game that can do this

dsc00121qr8.jpg

until then, its a 360 with a copy of DoAX2

[quote name='ITDEFX']show me a Wii game that can do this

dsc00121qr8.jpg

until then, its a 360 with a copy of DoAX2[/quote]

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-20061110104838727.jpg

Much sexier.

Doesn't answer the posed question really but I say the 360 and the reason is simple. It's the better deal...

We are almost all on CAG to look for deals, and a 360 for $100 is a very good one if you are lucky enough to get in on it, then of course do that one! Put simply, a Wii for $210 (that's if the coupon still works) will come up again sometime, but it will be a long wait for the 360 core system to hit a $100 price point besides this Thursday. Hell, you could probably play the 360 for awhile and if you don't like it, sell it, you'll likely get at least $210 off that, then go out buy the Wii. Point being the 360 for $100 is much more of a win-win situation.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I know, the 360 game library sucks. Crappy games like Condemned, Call of Duty 2, Fight Night 3, Geometry Wars, Oblivion, GRAW, Dead Rising, Call of Duty 3, Gears of War, PGR3, F.E.A.R., Double Agent, Saints Row, Ultimate MK3, Prey. Those games are crap. And it's pretty easy to say, after the Wii being out for 1 day and the 360 being out 362, that the Wii has far more superior games.

:roll:[/quote]

Holy shit! I have a different opinion on what I like than you! And basically anything I would want on the 360 I can just get on PC, so why would I buy another console to have games I can play already? :whistle2:s

[quote name='Rozz']Holy shit! I have a different opinion on what I like than you! And basically anything I would want on the 360 I can just get on PC, so why would I buy another console to have games I can play already? :whistle2:s[/quote]I've never heard that "PC's can play 360 games" excuse ever. Not once. But hey, have fun with those virtual console games, which you can only play on the Wii, right? Right?

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I've never heard that "PC's can play 360 games" excuse ever. Not once. But hey, have fun with those virtual console games, which you can only play on the Wii, right? Right?[/quote]

Tell me where I have meantioned anything about downloadable content on this thread please.

I just got a Premium 360 on Friday and I really like it.
The lineup for 360 is just getting better and better and better and better!

However, it IS a Core 360, and those do suck, as you need to buy a hard drive, its a wired controller, etc.

But whatever, its totally up to you. Go with the one that has the most appealing games to you.

bread's done
Back