If you had the choice between these two?

the1brock

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I am in the process of purchasing an hdtv specifically for ps3 playing and blue ray watching.
I think I have finally decided between these two tvs:

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-L...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1180655446&sr=8-4
and
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5691334.

I'm trying to stay around the 1100-1200 mark and was wondering what everyone thought.
Is the 5 inch sacrifice worth the extra contrast, response time, and of course 1080p?

PS. Ignore the old responses (6 or 7 of em), they are from another question and I just decided to recycle this thread to avoid having to make another one.

I generally don't hear their name when it comes to televisions. Though when I do end up talking about computer moniters, their name comes up frequently and I have a friend who found one that she absolutely loves. They're also very loved on newegg.com in reviews for their moniters.

I assume their televisions are as good as their moniters considering they're not terribly different. Other brands that are generally spoken well of and on the cheaper end of the spectrum are Vizio and Olevia in case ViewSonic doesn't work out.

Probably wouldn't. As far as TV's go, they're pretty low on the totem pole. I've had a couple computer monitors from them in the past and neither was particularly good, and that's supposed to be their strong point.

I've personally had better luck with Samsung LCDs... run all my computers on at least one of their LCDs... and my 32" TV is a Samsung LCD...

I used to enjoy the refresh rates of the Viewsonics back when they were CRT's, but I've since been a switcher to Samsung at home. The Viewsonic I have at work (17" LCD) is not all that grand, but it's competent. I would expect their TVs to fall into the "middle of the road" category.

That TV doesn't have all that high a contrast ratio for a larger LCD. My 32" has a 6000:1 contrast ratio, and it's noticeable when you watch dark movies and the like... (or play Oblivion at night... heheh.)

I bought a Viewsonic 37" around a month ago (the price was unreal) and it worked for all of 10 minutes...I shut it off and it never came back on again. Returned it the next day and bought a Vizio at Costco, and I have been pretty happy with it. That is not to say all of them are like this (reviews of Viewsonic HDTVs seem to be scarce online, so it is hard to tell), just my personal experience.

Obviously if you want an amazing LCD Samsung or Sony are much better choices, but they will probably cost about twice as much, which is not in all of our budgets. ;)

Whatever you buy, make sure you see it running before you buy it (even if you have to find a display model at another store). I wasn't too impressed with the sharpness of the Viewsonic, though admittedly I didn't get a lot of time to play around with the settings before it died.

[quote name='Chacrana']Samsung wouldn't cost you twice as much... definitely not. Hell, neither would Sharp.[/quote]
Sorry, I must have been seeing MSRP prices (I only took a quick look, they were ~$1k higher and up, always more for Sony, for a 42" 1080p LCD).

Samsung is obviously a better choice than Viewsonic if you can find one at a price point that is acceptable to you.

That Sharp Aquos is hot. As for the size, 32" is a good size. If you don't have a humongous living room, it should be fine. Let me know how it is because I'm also looking to upgrade.

Also if I go with the Sharp has anyone heard of these sites:

lcdtvs.com
or
enterprisephoto.com

They have the tv 100 dollars cheaper than the amazon site. Of course if no one has heard anything about them and I can't find anything on them, I will be glad to pay the extra 100 for my own state of mind.

Edit: checked them both out and lcdtvs.com is a member of bbb

Between you two new choices, I would choose the Samsung. It isn't 1080p, but it is bigger and that Sharp at 32" won't matter whether or not it's 1080p. So go bigger.

1080p on a 32" set is pointless. Samsung makes fantastic displays. Samsung all the way, except that it's from walmart and I hate that store.

I would go with the Samsung due to the bigger screen size. Unless you have a small room, the 32" might be a disappointment.

If 1080p means a whole lot to you (it did for me). Then see about finding a bigger Sharp for a little more. I have a 42" Sharp LCD 1080p I picked up as an accessory for my PS3 at the end of Feb. I can't complain about the picture or the piano black finish (matches with the piano black finish on the PS3). The display is beautiful, it looks like a piece of art in the family room.

Games and Blu-Ray movies are awesome on it. I also bought an over-the-air antenna to pick up the local networks in HD, gorgeous. Viewing angles are also very good.

bread's done
Back