If You Have A Backlog Of 7+ Games...

My Poilcy:

I) I only buy a game after beating two.
II) Practice a 1 hour spent for every dollar spent policy. So yeah, I seldom buy a $60 game, unless it's an RPG.
III) Maximize opportunity cost before a price drop. If I spent $50 on Game A, I tend to enjoy 50 hours out of it before Gamestop brings it down to $30-$40. This was inspired by all the CAG whiners who complained about their day-one purchases that stayed unopened well after a price drop.

My Playthrough Priorities
a) 1st priority: Games I requested from game companies for review
b) 2nd priority: Games sent by game companies that I didn't ask for
c) 3rd priority: Games I spent the most amount of money for, maximizing opportunity costs.
d) 4th priority: Games that need to be played at launch (eg. games with a online community that's only robust in the first 3 months)

On a side note, I also separate my 'can play over and over again' games from the rest of my collection. The former are combined to my bookshelf of DVDs & Books that I can watch/read over and over again. It's a very exclusive section (currently 10 games out of the 200 I own). There are many games that don't make that list, but are still great. The problem is that I can't imagine making time for a 2nd or 3rd playthrough when there are other games out there to play.

[quote name='LostRoad']1. I don't go out and buy just any crap
2. Money is not an issue for me.
3. Some of us don't have all that much time to play games 24/7 but we still like to pick up games we want when they come out because we know we will get to them when we have the time.
4. Who gives a shit what others do with their money?[/QUOTE]

This.

Usually $10 or $20 on 360/PS3 is the sweet spot for me. $10 I'll buy the game if I see it's even kinda good, 60% - 100% on review sites, $20 is the same. If I really want a game I'll buy it at MAX $40, but no more.

I usually justify $10/$20 360/PS3 games as "Well, I'll probably never see it for that price again, might as well. It's a deal!" Usually they don't, but some games drop lower.

I don't just buy random crap like "Hail to the Chimp", but games that I have a slight interest in. Which is bad because I browse message boards a lot and people are always like "This games is good for $30 for less it's a steal!"

You can also tell which games you should wait for a bigger price drop by just frequenting CAG. Usually the game will already be dropping withing in one month, then in about 3 or 4 months after release you find it for $20 or $30. Like MadWorld dropped mad crazy.

I collect games.

That pretty much says it all. I collect games. I own quite a few games that I have never played. (certainly more than just 7) I would love to play them at some point. But I don't have as much time to indulge in playing games these days, and have to ration it carefully.

Part of the reason why I don't have as much time is because of the full-time job I work at. My boss keeps pushing me to put in more overtime. (which I get paid time-and-a-half for, so its hard to say no) And I've been spending a lot of my weekends with my family lately. And none of them are as into video games as I am, so that generally isn't what we do when we hang out. So I have less time, but more disposable income. On top of that, I am a true Cheap Ass gamer. I get most of my games for cheap, very cheap. I rarely ever pay full price for any game. So even though I have plenty of extra games, my hobby isn't bankrupting me.

I don't buy games that have gotten very bad scores, no matter how cheap they are. I don't collect games indescriminately, I want to get all of the best games first. But at the same time, I won't shy away from picking up a mid-range quality title if it shows up on the clearance shelf. I payed $15 for a 360 copy of Prince of Persia. That was fine by me. On the same shelf, they had a copy of Afro Samurai for the same price. I did not buy that.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I collect games.

That pretty much says it all. I collect games. I own quite a few games that I have never played. (certainly more than just 7) I would love to play them at some point. But I don't have as much time to indulge in playing games these days, and have to ration it carefully.[/QUOTE]
This. I have a backlog of 100+ games, mostly PS2 JRPGs that could probably last me the rest of my life to play them all. Between job, wife, and kids it's hard to find more than a couple hours here and there. But even if it takes me years to finish something, having it on my shelf and in my collection makes me happy. So there.

[quote name='Richard Kain']I collect games.

That pretty much says it all. I collect games. I own quite a few games that I have never played. (certainly more than just 7) I would love to play them at some point. But I don't have as much time to indulge in playing games these days, and have to ration it carefully.[/QUOTE]

Well said. I fit this same mold.

As I get older and make more money, I can buy more games, but I have less time to play them.

I used to love 'value for my money' games that lasted 40, 60, 100+ hours. Now I actually appreciate a 8-10 hour game with a tightly crafted story because I may actually get to see the end of it.

Also, I've taken discretionary funds that I used to funnel into multiple hobbies and shifted that money into gaming. For example, I longer buy DVD's (Netfilx 4 Lyfe!), so I take that former dvd money and put it into games. I also stopped collecting every other thing I used to collect and alot of that money goes into gaming as well. No more Lego... *sniff* =(

I mean, I paid $10 for a copy of Dragon Quest VIII a couple of years back. Even today that would be a great price for a brand new copy of that game. And that certainly isn't Hanna Montana, Dragon Quest VIII is a solid, well-crafted RPG experience.

And yet, I've only played five or six hours of that game. I thouroughly enjoyed every one of those hours, and I would love to play some more. But I know from experience that this is a game that could easily eat up 80 - 100 hours of my time, no problem. I have quite a few Japanese RPGs that I haven't bothered to play yet for this very reason. I've hardly even touched my copy of Disgaea. I've only played through the intro to Persona 3.

When I really got into playing Final Fantasy X, I logged over 100 hours in that game. And that isn't even one of the more complex RPG titles. If I insisted on beating every game I own, it would consume what little life I already have. I am leery of getting too into some games just because I know how addicting they can be. I would really have to quit my job in order to play more games, and that isn't happening.

[quote name='Puffa469'] I used to love 'value for my money' games that lasted 40, 60, 100+ hours. Now I actually appreciate a 8-10 hour game with a tightly crafted story because I may actually get to see the end of it.
[/quote]

I'm the same with now prefering shorter games. But I've never been a collector so I just buy the handful of games (or get them off goozex) that I have time to play and beat.

Also, I've taken discretionary funds that I used to funnel into multiple hobbies and shifted that money into gaming. For example, I longer buy DVD's (Netfilx 4 Lyfe!), so I take that former dvd money and put it into games. I also stopped collecting every other thing I used to collect and alot of that money goes into gaming as well. No more Lego... *sniff* =(

I've been the opposite. Never spent a ton of money on games, but as gaming time (and interest) went down as I got older I started buying even less. I spend more money on food, social outings, movies and other hobbies than gaming these days. At this point, I'm not sure I'll buy another console beyond this generation honestly.

[quote name='funjoe']
My biggest issue with having a backlog is that I feel self imposed pressure to get to the games. I don't know if it's guilt or what but I feel these unopened games mocking me as they sit there unplayed.[/QUOTE]

This is my problem, buying games just cause they're cheap, and then not getting back to the other games I was playing. It is pressure for me, to get to them all. Almost like taunting me. And there just isnt enough time to play them all.

[quote name='gettinmoney662']...then why do you care if a mediocre or shitty game hits $10 or cheaper? Even if you once had a remote interest in playing the game, why spend the money on a game that is generally considered to be crappy when you are likely never to make it completely through your backlog?[/QUOTE]

Well games that *I* consider mediocre or shitty I *dont* buy. The thing is though, what others might regard as shitty, I might like. For example, Yu-Gi-Oh: Spirit Caller has a metacritic of 66, placing it well in the mediocre range. But I've easily put 50+ hours into it. Lips is another one with a metacritic of 71, but when my young cousins come over, they get a kick out of singing and watching the lights. That's worth the $15 or so I paid.

On the other hand, there are 'critically acclaimed' games that I just didnt care for. Red Faction: G is generally considered good (mc=85), I played the first couple of missions and there was no hook to grab me. It was 'technically' good, I had no issues with the game. It just didnt interest me. Glad I got it on a rental.

So 'shitty' and 'mediocre' only matter when *I* assign those terms to games. As long as a game isnt broken (as in the case of Velvet Assassin), I'll pick it up if it seems interesting a cheap.

Interesting aside, I find that I get to/through games on the DS much quicker than console games.

[quote name='cochesecochese']You just get addicted to the deal hunting. It's almost the same as people who collect thousands of records. It's impossible to listen to them all but you just want to have them.[/QUOTE]
This is me. Including the records/music.

My backlog is huge if you add in PSN games. But it helped when I was unemployed for a few months...I had no money and nothing but time on my hands

Backlog's are pointless IMO.

I buy games when I have time to play them. So lately I buy maybe 5 games a year. Or really just get most from Goozex over the past year or so. I haven't had the time or interest to play games much over the past year or so (hence why I hadn't posted hear for a few months) and as such stopped acquiring games.

That said, I've never, ever bought a game just because it was cheap. I've always only picked up games I was truly interested in playing. Regardless of backlog, time for games etc.

I do get the collector aspect though, and see nothing wrong with that. I've just never been the collecting type personally.

I had a backlog of over 30 games, and now it's down to about 8. Quite proud of myself. When you can't buy games, your backlog is something you go towards for enjoyment until you can afford something shiny and new. Anyways...

To...try them? Look at it this way, if the game is horrendous, we can always trade it back or sell it for a very minimal investment. Most of the time though, a game like Madden or a Call of Duty is not one of those games that crosses a CAG's mind when it hits $10 and it's 1-2 years old because everybody has kind of moved onto something better when it comes to sequels. It depends on the game really, but you really see those single player games being those cheap pickups down the line.

I haven't actually paid for a game in almost 4 months, I've traded the games I have beaten for other games I want so it only cost me shipping which is usually only $1.50.

I have a backlog of about 20 games at the moment and I purchased all of them for less than $15 each. Basically, the reason I will still buy a game that goes on sell for $10 is because I don't really buy games new at retail. I hate spending $60 on a game that is going to be $20 cheaper in a few weeks. I limit myself to 1-2 "new" games a year. I love having a huge backlog of games because I always have plenty of things to entertain myself with when I have downtime.

It seems to me that a lot of Cheap Ass Gamers fall into two basic categories. Those who indulge in selling games back, and those who don't.

Selling games to used game stores is a convenient way to get money back on expensive games that just came out. People will purchase a new release, either new or used, play it to their satisfaction, and then sell it back to a used game store. With this sort of strategy, the gamer can spend only about $30 on a brand new game that usually costs $60. The downside is that the gamer does not get to keep the game permanently. They are generally only after the experience.

The collector wants to keep games in their collection, and never really considers selling games to a used game store, unless they don't feel a game ought to be in their collection. This sort of purchaser tends to be more patient, and will wait quite a while for a game to drop in price before picking it up. Since they don't intend to sell games, they know that they need to get the best price possible for a game the first time around. This purchaser will commonly browse clearance sections and keep an eye on sales papers. They don't usually frequent most used game stores, since the price markdown on used copies is so slim these days. The collector tends to accumulate a substantial backlog, because for them, owning and expanding their collection is part of the fun. It doesn't bother them as much to own a game that they haven't gotten around to playing.

[quote name='Puffa469']Well said. I fit this same mold.

As I get older and make more money, I can buy more games, but I have less time to play them.

I used to love 'value for my money' games that lasted 40, 60, 100+ hours. Now I actually appreciate a 8-10 hour game with a tightly crafted story because I may actually get to see the end of it.

QUOTE]

I agree with this 100%. If I read a game will take more than 15-20 hours to complete I will hesitate getting it, no matter how good it is supposed to be. I have had GTA4 and Fallout 3 sitting unopened since xmas, and Oblivion unopened since I bought my PS3 over two years ago, because I am dreading getting involved in a game that could take me the rest of the year to get through.

I have a decent size backlog, not just any game, but only games that I'm interest in and consider playing to finish. That's simply because I can barely play anymore, yet I still buy them. Lately ever since I graduate from the university and started working and married a year ago, my game completion rate has drop dramatically. I probably beat about 5 games max per year and now probably 3. Although I do pop a game in play it for minutes/hours then got busy and by the time I get back it's been too long to continue so I tried a different game (game gotten staled? but I will come back to it another time). Yet the game buying rate hasn't been slowing down, it's only speeding up.

Lately I been buying older games that I wanted to play while I was in school but didn't have the money to buy them then. You know times when you only have money for one game and there are multiple good games that you want to buy? Well now those games are much cheaper and I tried to pick up any that I want to play. I hardly buy new games that just came out, only the ones that are really high on my interest meter, those that are less then I'll wait till they are cheaper.

I realize that I will probably never going to catch up to my back log but it's not going to stop me from growing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mass Effect and Team Fortress 2

The first is the only game I completed in the Last 2 years and the second is the game I've put the most time into in the last two years. The point I'm trying to make is I have a backlog of I about 40 games. So I understand the OP but this site has allowed me to spend far less money than that number would imply. For example the HWV sale allowed me to get six yes six titles I wanted for 5 bucks a piece (Dead Space,Fable II are among the titles). I got Fear 2 from Target for $12.48 and just picked up SF4 for $19.99 and picked up Fight Night Round 4 flipping BBV B1G1 sale. Thats like $153.00 spent for about $520 worth of games I actually want to play. Add to that the credit GS and Amazon I made becuase of the HWV Sale and BBV Sale and the bouns credits from Amazon and GS means I will probably spend less on games than someone that rents 10 a year at 5 bucks a pop and picks up 4 titles a year. But still I am keeping a closer eye on the price point of my games. For example I saw Resistence 2 CE at Best Buy for $39.99. Years ago I would have ran out there screaming like I had just robbed a bank now I know I will get this game for $20 bucks or lower if I wait 3 to 4 months. I also factor in multiplayer. If there is none to jump into right away well I can wait this title out. Mass Effect 2 though will be a day one purchase. But on one point I agree I still need to tighten the ship a little more becuase the goal is to actually play this stuff and not let it sit around at any price point.

What could I say, sometimes I'm a sucker for certain "crap" games, especially if I know the reason why they're crap and I could live with it.

But, the game better not be selling for more than $5-6 tops.

If anything, I could use the coaster.

As far as putting games in my collection/backlog, I'm just the type of gamer who likes to look unto a fully-stocked shelving units chock-filled with games. I'm not a collecter per-se (but I intend to start a console collection later on in life), but I'm really picky about the games I buy if it's on clearance/refurb/used. I go mostly for complete packages, with very little damage to the exterior. If the game is cheap enough and in decent enough of a condition, then I'll pick it up.

That being said, there are a lot of games out there that was labeled as "crap" by some, "gold" by others, and I don't mind picking those up just to see what the entire hopla was about. I've bought a bout half a dozen games solely on price alone, of which I have no intention of ever playing, EVER. But, does that happen often, thankfully no.

I used to buy hella shovelware games just to fatten up my collection like people already mentioned. However, now, I'm more exclusive about the games I purchase. The shovelware I've bought before are now either in the hands of another poor sap, or with the the evil corporation (GameStop). I'm almost done getting rid of my shitter games at a break even or profit point.

However, the one game I thought would be shitty just because of the NEW price actually ended up being good. THE DOG ISLAND is the best $5 I've ever spent. REALLY.

[quote name='Richard Kain'] The downside is that the gamer does not get to keep the game permanently. They are generally only after the experience.
[/QUOTE]

That's not necessarily a downside. The downside to being a collector is that you have so much freaking stuff.

I also had trouble with Disgaea. Even though I have it portable, do I really want to spend 100 hrs on top of the original 50 on the metagame?

Edit: Dog Island sounds really fun based on IGN's review.

I had a backlog of games that I had never played once that was up to about 1,000. This was ranging from the Atari 2600 all the way up to the PS3. I still have games that I never even got around to opening.

I have been working on selling most of my collection, but I'm sure I won't be able to get rid of everything.

Thanks for setting me straight. I am glad the OP shared his wisdom with us lowly cags who love games. Inspired by this thread, I am now going to start a thread: "MaskedPlague gives unsolicited criticism."

[quote name='DQT']That's not necessarily a downside. The downside to being a collector is that you have so much freaking stuff.
[/QUOTE]

Neither is really an objective downside. Just depends on your personality.

I hate accruing stuff I'm not using, so I've never been a collector--and I've really pared down my belongings the last 2 times I moved.

So for me, only getting games I want to play when I'll have time to play them in the near future, and trading games I beat that don't have online modes I'm playing etc. on Goozex is idea.

To me having a lot of stuff is a downside, but to collectors they don't mind so it's not a downside to them.

[quote name='blissskr']Games are kind of like pokemon..........[/QUOTE]

:lol:

Yep, and I have my fair share of Psyducks!

Collecting is fun. The anticipation of playing some of the games I hope to one day play is worth the $10 I lay out.

Why was this thread made to start with? Why would you care about the answer to this question?

I have a ton of games because of sites like this and BST threads on other sites. I spend more time researching and buying games then I do playing them. I don't know why they have to be played as much as collected for someone like me. Also said before its nice to have a few games that you have yet to finnish so when the time comes (in my case a baby) you can't buy games but have some to play or trade for other shit.

I kinda understand both sides here. I buy the cheapies and clearance items and it adds up. I trim the fat pretty often so if a game is mediocre I ditch it as long as I lose less than 5 bucks on it.

Now I probably have about 25 games on the backlog. At least right now I really intend on playing most of them.

bread's done
Back