If you want a completely kick-ass arcade stick set up...............

n8n8baby

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
check these out

img000042ro.jpg

img000053hj.jpg

i found this guy on shoryuken.com that builds these, and he will customize them any way you like. i have mine set up so that they work flawlessly with my genesis, snes, saturn, dreamcast, xbox, and gamecube adapters (they are ps2 based). it is a true dream come true to have sticks of this quality and to be able to play all of my fighting games and shmups with these babies.

anyway the guy's email address is [email protected]

they are not cheap....i paid 254 including shipping for both sticks, but he was very quick, and work is top notch. i am in love with mine, and i'm just trying to help him and my fellow old school enthusiasts by letting y'all know :)

good lookin out to my people at ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

-edited for language -StealthySeal

[quote name='StealthySeal']changed the language on the last line for ya[/quote]

thanks my bad

btw...i chose the art and button colors, layout, etc.. you can get yours customized however you like it and, if you are a tru cheap ass, you can save 15 bucks by not going with the plexi/art.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Those are the coolest controllers I've ever seen. I bet if I bought a couple of those I'd probably play a whole lot more fighting games.[/quote]

yeah....i have been playing tons more since i got them....not to mention going thru all my shmups again :)

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Wow, those are great looking arcade sticks! The artwork is also very impressive...:D[/quote]

i just stole the artwork off the web :p

How do you use the arcade sticks on different systems like the Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis?...

it looks nice jus becoz they put the graphic under the plexiglass,,,

but really, $254 for 2 man... u coulda gotten a better deal

(mine was only like $70 custom)

unless they have P360s in them... do they got P360s?

[quote name='JEKKI']it looks nice jus becoz they put the graphic under the plexiglass,,,

unless they have P360s in them... do they got P360s?[/quote]

how did you get yours for 70 custom?

i've got some sticks from this guy too and they're very primo. they're not p360s but he offers to do it. he's doing sanwa now too.

stick17hk.jpg

stick21si.jpg

doesn't cost 70 dollars, but it really is primo work. and not just the graphics+plexi. and anytime you have questions about a stick from him or need help with yours, he's a real nice dude.

[quote name='JEKKI']it looks nice jus becoz they put the graphic under the plexiglass,,,

whats p360s?

[quote name='xenoman80'][quote name='JEKKI']it looks nice jus becoz they put the graphic under the plexiglass,,,

whats p360s?[/quote]

p360s are generally considered the best of american-style joysticks, but not by much. they have a harder spring, and they use optics instead of microswitches. i use competition sticks on mine. they cost less, and still work awesome.

i just wanna get one that works excellent and last a long time. have lotsa of fighting games . capcom fighters mostly

Those p360's (p for perfect) suck for fighthing games, you can't feel the click to up down left or right, there good for 3D games though. You will never see one in an arcade for any fighting game.

$254 isn't a bad deal. I would have setup them differently. I don't like the Jap style buttons and your button layout.

I bought an arcade stick from these guys ->

http://www.massystems.com/ProStick.html

It costed me $130 bucks and uses Happ buttons (used in most arcades) and it has a Competition joystick (same thing) I got the 8 button Super Nova.

You can get one for 95 bucks and just use adapters too. I got mine to work with PS2 and DC.

There are hardcore 2d fighting/arcade stick afcianado sites out there they'll usually point to masststems as the best.

If anyone was thinking about getting an X Arcade stick, don't. They don't use real arcade buttons or joysticks, they just look like they do. X Arcades suck pretty bad.

I think that Street Fighter stick at Eb is a good buy though.

If anyone has any arcade stick questions Pm me. I'll be glad to help.

[quote name='SEGA128DC']How do you use the arcade sticks on different systems like the Sega Dreamcast, Sega Saturn, Super Nintendo and the Sega Genesis?...[/quote]

lik-sang.com has adapters for everything. i just have my button layout set up to be most compatible with all adapters. also, i had to make the top 2nd button and the bottom left button map to the same button, so i could get neo-geo config for my saturn. a little wonky, but really works well for me.

[quote name='DangerDave']Those p360's (p for perfect) suck for fighthing games, you can't feel the click to up down left or right, there good for 3D games though. You will never see one in an arcade for any fighting game.

If anyone has any arcade stick questions Pm me. I'll be glad to help.[/quote]

thing is. those sticks suck if you want to use the lik-sang saturn adapter, or if u want to play snk games in true arcade layout. also i don't like them for soul calibur. if you don't play 4-button games or have old machines to worry about, the mas systems are well built and nice....but imy needs were different

It's more than possible to get a custom stick for $70, and not get ripped by MAS pricing, if you have the "skills" to do wood working and soldering.
Buy the wood yourself from a hardware store and order the parts from happcontrols.com
Oh, you'll also need to get a PCB from a controller.

Or, if you're like me and scared to do wood work, buy a premade stick from a store, like a Pelican, and switch out the buttons.

[quote name='Burrito']It's more than possible to get a custom stick for $70, and not get ripped by MAS pricing, if you have the "skills" to do wood working and soldering.
Buy the wood yourself from a hardware store and order the parts from happcontrols.com

Or, if you're like me and scared to do wood work, buy a premade stick from a store, like a Pelican, and switch out the buttons.[/quote]

one warning about the pelican's.....the universal ones don't work with adapters or on all ps2s. i used to have them but they wouldn't work with my PStwo or my adapters so i gave em to my bro's

If you want an alternative to US style joysticks, and want a Japanese style stick(Like the ones on all US Tekken 5 cabinets), go with a Hori or Ascii stick from Japan.

Hori is bringing out their Real Arcade Pro and Fighting Stick 2 to US shores sometime within the next few months.

Should be fun stuff :)

Those are nice joysticks. Me and my friend actually tried to build a custom Dreamcast stick for ourselves back in the DC days to play Marvel vs. Capcom 2. We got all the parts and took the PCB from a cheapie DC 3rd party controller and got all the buttons working. But we got lazy and never got around to cut the wood to build the stand. Come to think of it, I think we should convert the joystick to use for PS2...

Neo Geo Arcades use 8 way joysticks. They don't use p360's.
I don't know anything about Lik Sangs Saturn adapters.
True, the old 4 way stick are suited for 2d fighters, not 3d fighters.

[quote name='n8n8baby'][quote name='DangerDave']Those p360's (p for perfect) suck for fighthing games, you can't feel the click to up down left or right, there good for 3D games though. You will never see one in an arcade for any fighting game.

If anyone has any arcade stick questions Pm me. I'll be glad to help.[/quote]

thing is. those sticks suck if you want to use the lik-sang saturn adapter, or if u want to play snk games in true arcade layout. also i don't like them for soul calibur. if you don't play 4-button games or have old machines to worry about, the mas systems are well built and nice....but imy needs were different[/quote]

How was a ripped from Mas pricing? They put the thing together for me. I think its worth an extra 50 bucks to not have to solder or build anything.

Those Pelican sticks suck too though.

[quote name='Burrito']It's more than possible to get a custom stick for $70, and not get ripped by MAS pricing, if you have the "skills" to do wood working and soldering.

Or, if you're like me and scared to do wood work, buy a premade stick from a store, like a Pelican, and switch out the buttons.[/quote]

Considering the cost of building a stick yourself, a MAS is a lot of money.

And yeah, Pelican Universal sucks ass.
The stick wouldn't register up commands after two months of play.
I've opened it up though and it's damn easy to mod seeing as how you only need to replace the buttons and stick and not worry about PCB soldering or case making.

[quote name='SEGA128DC']How much did you pay for your custom arcade sticks, kristianator? Also, where did you get the artwork too?...[/quote]

i paid roughly the same that the OP paid, because i got them from the same guy, and they're somewhat similar.

the artwork is just basic photoshop work done by myself, and art that i scanned myself. b/w one is just collage of characters from blade of the immortal. second one is just some jim lee swimsuit art (psylocke and farenheit).

[quote name='DangerDave']If anyone was thinking about getting an X Arcade stick, don't. They don't use real arcade buttons or joysticks, they just look like they do. X Arcades suck pretty bad.[/quote]I like my X-arcade, but it's really the only "high-end" (as in "expensive") home joystick I've ever used. So while I've had a blast with it, I'll admit that my experience with joysticks, on the whole, is rather limited. It meets my needs pretty well, since I play lots of Capcom fighters and Mortal Kombat 3 on my PC (MAME), and the button layout is pefect for those games (standard 6-button setup, which extra buttons that are in the "run" postition for MK3). I use it mainly for PC, but I use it for DC and PS2 as well with adaptors.

So I'm mainly curious about sticks that emulate a PC keyboard, that I can also use with multiple consoles. I'd rather not take up space with multiple sticks if I can handle it. Does Mas or Hori or whoever have something like this?

If you want to build a stick, and because I don't know the exact URLs, go over to shoryuken.com/forums and check out the hardware forum.
There should be enough resources for you to get started.

[quote name='kristianator'][quote name='JEKKI']it looks nice jus becoz they put the graphic under the plexiglass,,,

[/quote]
u get them cheap by doing it yourself...

seriously, the hardest part is the woodwork, but since on TV save by the bell type shows ppl always take shop class, it shouldnt be much of a problem

(I went to private HS... no shop class...)

so my lack of woodwork skills took me out like $30 shipped for a box, all the necessary holes and stuff were already there.

10 happs buttons + competition stick shipped for like another $35ish...

finally buy a used psx controller for $5.

the my friend put it all together and it works like a charm.

I then spent an additional $20 for a DC adapter, but that was months down the line when I finally bought 3S

[quote name='JEKKI'][quote name='kristianator'][quote name='JEKKI']it looks nice jus becoz they put the graphic under the plexiglass,,,

[/quote]
u get them cheap by doing it yourself...

seriously, the hardest part is the woodwork, but since on TV save by the bell type shows ppl always take shop class, it shouldnt be much of a problem

(I went to private HS... no shop class...)

so my lack of woodwork skills took me out like $30 shipped for a box, all the necessary holes and stuff were already there.

10 happs buttons + competition stick shipped for like another $35ish...

finally buy a used psx controller for $5.

the my friend put it all together and it works like a charm.

I then spent an additional $20 for a DC adapter, but that was months down the line when I finally bought 3S[/quote]

true, everything does cost less when you do it yourself. didn't feel like learning though, and it only costs less if you build it perfectly the first time around. the dude who built mine has done a shitload of sticks, so i pretty much trusted i'd be getting something good.

you do have a point though. if you want it cheap, build yourself.

I hate to sound dumb here, but what exactly do you do with the used PSX controller? Mess around with the wires and controller plug... something like that?

[quote name='BustaUppa']I hate to sound dumb here, but what exactly do you do with the used PSX controller? Mess around with the wires and controller plug... something like that?[/quote]
yup, solder the cross-switches from the pushbuttons and joysticks onto the corresponding areas of the chip thingy inside the controller.

u can see the diagrams somewhere on the internet

edit: I have all my joystick bookmarks somewhere, but I jus reformatted my computer 2 day ago so it's not with me rite now,

I did remember to burn them onto cd beforehand tho... Ill find them sometime

The woodworking is doable. I've never built anything in my life and I'm in the middle of contructing a MAME cabinet in my basement. Here's the latest pic. So far, so good - but I haven't gotten to the wiring yet!!
cp1.jpg

[quote name='n8n8baby'][quote name='zionoverfire']Those are the coolest controllers I've ever seen. I bet if I bought a couple of those I'd probably play a whole lot more fighting games.[/quote]

yeah....i have been playing tons more since i got them....not to mention going thru all my shmups again :)[/quote]

What r shmups? sorry for being retarded.

Wow, megashock5, that arcade cabinet is looking pretty good so far. Your basement is going to rock, once it's completed! Please post scanned pics in this thread, when your arcade cabinet is finally done...

Thanks, Sega! The basement should rock whenever I get to start finishing it (never finished a basement either). The big cardboard box you see behind the cab is from the air hockey table. :D

I've since pulled at the controls out again to fill over the T-nuts with wood filler and start priming it all for paint. I'm also waiting on a graphic overlay for the control panel to get here.

So far I'm really happy with how it's coming (like I said, this is the first thing I've ever really built). Now I just have to make it work! :)

That looks really sweet. The joystick setup reminds me of some of the Slik Stik models on their website. Is that a 4-way stick above the other two?

^ Yeah, that's exactly what it is. Not sure if it was necessary, but a lot of people said it was so I added it. We'll see when it's done.

I'm going to finish the cabinet before I start hooking it up, otherwise it would remain unfinished.

[quote name='weaponx666']What r shmups? sorry for being retarded.[/quote]

Shorthand for Shoot-'em-ups. Think Galaga, Gradius, Ikaruga, etc.

The sticks on my cab (pictured on page 2 of this thread) are Happ. As far as the placement, I did it according to the 'Project Arcade' book (buy it!!) and it feels pretty comfortable.

Go with Competition joysticks and Happ buttons.

[quote name='SOSTrooper']Cheap ass link

Do you guys think these are good joysticks and buttons? The deal seems good for a bundled package.[/quote]

bread's done
Back