I'll be buying a HDTV soon, and I need some help.

SpacemanHardy

CAG Veteran
Okay, I'll come right out and say it:

I'm a noob.

When it comes to high definition televisions, I am the noobiest noob who's ever noobed.

I'm trying to decide what's the best possible TV for my situation.

I've got my eyes on a 42" 720p LG. This TV will be going in my bedroom. I will use it mainly for playing my PS3 and my 360, and also for watching standard DVDs and Blu Rays.

My recliner will be positioned approximately 6 or 7 feet away from the television. When I am reclined (which will be most of the time), my face will be about 8 feet away.

What I want to know is, will I still enjoy the picture of a TV that size from that distance? Or will I be irritated by choppy resolution?

I know that TV's in the 30" class don't really benefit much from 1080p, but I'm not so familiar with the 40" class and whether or not it makes a big difference. Also, there's a BIG price jump between the 1080p and 720p models, and I'm on a rather limited budget as is.

So long story short: If I buy this TV tomorrow, should I be happy with my purchase?

[quote name='SpacemanHardy']Okay, I'll come right out and say it:

I'm a noob.

When it comes to high definition televisions, I am the noobiest noob who's ever noobed.

I'm trying to decide what's the best possible TV for my situation.

I've got my eyes on a 42" 720p LG. This TV will be going in my bedroom. I will use it mainly for playing my PS3 and my 360, and also for watching standard DVDs and Blu Rays.

My recliner will be positioned approximately 6 or 7 feet away from the television. When I am reclined (which will be most of the time), my face will be about 8 feet away.

What I want to know is, will I still enjoy the picture of a TV that size from that distance? Or will I be irritated by choppy resolution?

I know that TV's in the 30" class don't really benefit much from 1080p, but I'm not so familiar with the 40" class and whether or not it makes a big difference. Also, there's a BIG price jump between the 1080p and 720p models, and I'm on a rather limited budget as is.

So long story short: If I buy this TV tomorrow, should I be happy with my purchase?[/QUOTE]

Go to consumerreports.org. I love that site for electronics comparison.

[quote name='lostaccount']I wouldnt recommend visio - picture quality is pretty crappy[/QUOTE]
Some models yes, but others are rated very highly, especially given the price.

[quote name='Emiroo']Best Buy has the Sony KDL-46XBR9 on clearance for $999. 100,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 1080P, 240hz, Netflix Streaming, etc.. I have this one and it's the baddass Cadillac mack daddy of LCD TVs. Remember, this set cost $2700 when it came out last year!

It's a deleted/closeout item, so you won't find it at BestBuy.com. Call you local store to see if they have it. They'll probably all be gone chainwide within a month so get it while you still can!

Here's the CNET Review[/QUOTE]

That's one of the sets I was looking at recently. I'll have to drop by there over my lunch break today as it's 5 minutes from where I work. That same set is around $1600 at Ultimate Electronics.

[quote name='Emiroo']Best Buy has the Sony KDL-46XBR9 on clearance for $999. 100,000:1 Contrast Ratio, 1080P, 240hz, Netflix Streaming, etc.. I have this one and it's the baddass Cadillac mack daddy of LCD TVs. Remember, this set cost $2700 when it came out last year!

It's a deleted/closeout item, so you won't find it at BestBuy.com. Call you local store to see if they have it. They'll probably all be gone chainwide within a month so get it while you still can!

Here's the CNET Review[/QUOTE]

Dropped by my Best Buy yesterday to check this out. Unfortunately, they were out of these TV's. The Best Buy stock screen on the computer showed that the $999 price point started 4/14/10.

Does anyone know if Ultimate Electronics price matches/ negotiates at all and what you'd need to get them to match this deal?

bread's done
Back