Im a ebay noob: help me get started.

PayPal is basically an "intermediary" between you and the seller (when you want to buy something, you give the money to PayPal and PayPal pays the seller). When I set up an eBay account, I also created a PayPal account when prompted (I believe eBay owns PayPal, which is why the accounts are "linked.") After you place your bid, and you win an auction, you are prompted to pay. Since my credit card is linked to PayPal (you don't need to have a bank account), once I pay for the item through eBay, on my credit card statement, it shows a payment to PayPal.

PayPal is the one that pays the seller. It's pretty easy, I've only been an eBayer for a short time and have already got the hang of buying and selling. BTW, eBay has an "automatic" bidding system. For example, suppose you see something for $10, and you bid $15, and a nanosecond later someone beat your bid with $15.50. It isn't because the guy is literally refreshing every 5 seconds waiting to beat your bid. The reason for that is when you bid, you put the maximum amount your willing to pay and eBay automatically bids on your behalf.

So if I am willing to bid $100, and the current bid is $20, it will only place me a bid of $20.50, and won't go up to $100 unless someone else triggers a higher bid (like $99).

Ok, I created a ebay account, and a paypal account, and "You have successfully added a credit card. Please note that this credit card is now your primary card. For more information on your primary card, please refer to your Profile." so it accepted the prepaid.

What do I do to send to money if I won, or link it to my ebay acount.

The only option I see is to add money to my account from a bank account. Can I purchase an item with the prepaid cc or add money with it?

You only pay when you win an auction. Basically after you win the auction, it will prompt you to pay. Payment is done through eBay, you don't need to configure anything in PayPal, and it is already linked to your account. See the pic below, basically at the arrow where you normally "bid" will be replaced by a "payment" prompt. So you just pay through eBay and it will automatically be sent via PayPal to your seller.

Does the ebay payment allow you to pay with a credit card? Ive seen some that say paypal only, but I dont know how to get money onto there.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Does the ebay payment allow you to pay with a credit card? Ive seen some that say paypal only, but I dont know how to get money onto there.[/quote]

I'm not sure if I understand your question, so I'll give you my best advice.

you stated earlier that you have already set up a paypal account, and registered a credit card as your primary way of payment. So, if that is still the case, any payment you are prompted to pay through paypal should be directed to your CC (unless you added a bank account to your paypal account).

As the other guy said, if you win an auction, ebay will prompt you to pay for that item using paypal (unless the seller stated he does not take paypal), and you will be sent to their login screen where you can access your paypal account and pay for your item (by paypal acct, I mean your CC you have on file with them).

After sending your payment, you can then view if and when the seller of your item recieves the paypal amount you sent from your CC.

Now, as a matter of caution, I would give yourself a little time when looking on E-bay, because your bid on an item is a binding contract. Although it is rare (well, it used to be rare anyway), there are people out there that prey on newbie ebayers to bid on their items, and the difference b/t you being scammed by a seller could be the five minutes you take to read his feedback history and the auction you are bidding on. IOW, don't just bid on an item because it looks too good to be true (because it probably is).

There are probably a hundred other tips myself and others here could give you, but the bottom line is: caveat emptor (to the buyer beware). You need to use your common sense and the ebay FAQ's before jumping in with both feet to make that dream purchase.

I hope that at least helps anwser your questions; if not, like I said above check out the ebay FAQ's and take the time to learn the system before you do anything drastic, like for instance buying a laptop from india for 50 bucks. (don't ask).

-V

Also beware of any kind of phishing emails.

If you ever get any kind of email from anyone claiming to be paypal or ebay then go to their website. Don't click on any links inside of that email, just go directly to the site through IE or Firefox or whatever browser you use. If you log in through those emails then there's usually a good chance that you just had your username and password phished from you and you just lost them and probably some money as well.

[quote name='Eastsidecracker']Thanks guys, getting the hang of it.

Is there a way to remove things from your "Items I'm Bidding On"?[/quote]

No, not unless or until you get outbid or win the auction. When the auction ends, the item will move either to the items i've won or items i didn't win (or something to that effect), and then you can clear it out.

[quote name='Oberman']I believe there is a way to remove your bid but I'm not sure exactly on what it is.[/quote] I don't recomend anyone doing it and there are rules to follow. See link -> http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/retract-bid.html
Basically, you can retract your bid if 12+ hours is remaining on the auction. The bid is cancled instantly without wait. If the 12 hours is clocking down, only the Seller can chose to cancel the auction.

This is what it looks like once you've cancled a bid:
ebayretracted.png

[quote name='Plac1d']I don't recomend anyone doing it and there are rules to follow. See link -> http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/retract-bid.html
Basically, you can retract your bid if 12+ hours is remaining on the auction. The bid is cancled instantly without wait. If the 12 hours is clocking down, only the Seller can chose to cancel the auction.

This is what it looks like once you've cancled a bid:
ebayretracted.png
[/quote]

Yeah, I wasn't going to post that because I used bid retraction when I was an Ebay noob and didn't understand the big deal. It caused a lot of problems for me and I figured he could learn it on his own.

good on you for posting it, though.

bread's done
Back