I'm a freshman in college....and I hate it, need some help

[quote name='Halo05']Not to call you out but javeryh (sorry if I got the name wrong), if memory serves, is pretty darn successful in the real world.[/quote]

I'm doing OK, I think. ;)

[quote name='Quintox']Well maybe because I'm not a dumbass like you and get wasted all the time and only care about getting laid. I don't drink or any of that crap. I loved high school and I had a great time without doing any of that stuff. And don't say "Uh, duh, you don't like college b/c you aren't having any fun! Go drink!"

I don't just sit in my room, and when I do, someone else is usually in here. I am just having a harder time getting used to having a roomate, hall bathrooms, all that stuff.[/quote]

*sigh* College isn't "about" any of that stuff - it's about asserting your independence and having all the free time in the world to do so. I will admit that it most people go through an adjustment period (myself included) but when you are on the other side it sucks to hear about someone not enjoying themselves - I'll bet that one of us is going to feel silly in 4 years about posting in this thread and it isn't going to be me...

[quote name='Halo05']Anyhow, if things continue to suck, do what I did and join the Marine Corps. It will make your return to college four years later a breeze. [/quote]

:lol:

Can you imagine this guy in the Marines? Seriously?

We're going to see threads like

"It's hot in Iraq, the people aren't friendly, and the beige desert camo really clashes with my skin tone"

Damn, Camoor that was funny, but c'mon...talk about throwing salt in the wound.

Whatever you do, Do not join the Marines, you will get sent to Iraq and it sucks there!

As to the dorm-room pranks. Be careful! I have seen these go way too far and end in a triple homicide suicide.

Concerning your issues with the public bathrooms! Enjoy them! You dont have to change the toilette paper roll, and often times in winter other people will warm the seat up for you. Also sometimes people dont flush their #2s and I suggest just going w/out flushing first. (1) It saves valuable water and (2) The smell helps things come out better!

I think one semester i did laundry once (possibly twice). Thats 1 time in a whole semester! If it didnt look dirty or smell bad I simply cycled it and re-wore it. I also freeballed alot too. Damn I am nasty!

[quote name='camoor']:lol:

Can you imagine this guy in the Marines? Seriously?

We're going to see threads like

"It's hot in Iraq, the people aren't friendly, and the beige desert camo really clashes with my skin tone"[/QUOTE]

What on earth makes you think he would make it past the first day of boot camp?

"My drill sergeant yells at me so much". "everyone hates it when i lag behind on the runs." "The food isnt very good in the mess hall". "there isnt much privacy in the showers and bathrooms".

Just picture private pile from "full metal jacket" but much worse. Show me your war face!

Seriously OP, stick it out, like javery said, there usually an adjustment period, mine took about a year and a half heh. Like i said you have to learn to work the system, make the system work for you, learn to find things you enjoy, and pursue them.

Ask good questions and never be intimidated by anyone, professors, other students, co eds and whatnot. That may be easier to say, but take baby steps, start start with small goals, then work towards bigger ones. For example, look this weekend try to find a new club that might interest you. This can be anything from intramural basketball to anime club, whatever floats your boad. you mayl get to enjoy it, hopefully.

I must admit when I first went to college I didn't like it. I wasn't a big drinker, at least not beer, and everyone only seemed to want to go to keggers. I went to one club meeting and during the icebreaker for the first meeting brought up some interests. After the meeting one person came up to me and invited me back to another dorm to meet some friends and stuff. I wound up having a blast even if I never did go back to the club.

It just took some time. Like others have said if it doesn't get better for you see an RA or counselor, they can help. You're not a pussy, it's something a lot of people go through when adjusting to a big change. Until then work on making friends and getting involved. It got to the point that I really didn't want to go home during breaks cause I loved hanging out with my college friends.

This actually applies to small universities too. I think that the entire campus could've fit just on the quad at the University of Illinois. I believe there were only around 2,000 students which may seem like a lot but is actually pretty small for a college.

I think I was the only person I knew who didn't get homesick when I left for college (was glad to get out of that goshdarn place, lol) but most of my friends were homesick and I had a couple of friends who were probably more homesick than you are. Don't worry, it's something that a lot of people go through when they first leave for college. It's just something that'll take some time to go away. It's a good thing that you go to a school that's pretty near your house; that way, you can go home once in awhile on the weekends which should help ease it. Also, why don't you give your parents a call or something? I'm sure they'll want regular updates on how you're doing your first semester and you can fill them in about your life. Other than that, try enjoying your new freedoms, go out with your friends, and try to make the best of what you have. After a few months, you should feel better about being away from home.

I had a buddy who did laundry about once per semester. He avoided doing laundry by buying many packs of socks/underwear and sniff testing his clothes.

OP, what is your major and what types of classes are you taking? The entry level, generic 101 classes are pretty dull no matter where you go to school. I assume you like video games since you post here.

Do the people in your corridor play video games? I assume college students will be playing madden or ncaa 08. I probably spend more time playing NHL 95 during my freshman yr of college than I did going to class. Sitting around playing games is a great way to interact and get to know people? This is a unique time in your life where you have all kinds of free time to do whatever the heck you want or feel like doing. College was a great part of my life and I (and I assume other reading this thread) would love to go back to a time without crazy work hours, mortgages, responsibilities, etc.

supply people on your floor with liquor (assuming their underage and you can find someone to suppky) Gain popularity fast!

[quote name='BasketCase1080']supply people on your floor with liquor (assuming their underage and you can find someone to suppky) Gain popularity fast![/QUOTE]
iammclovin.png

I am doing a little better, just a little boring here. Just takes time though, thanks for all the help guys.

After class hours usually consist of a lot of Halo 2 with a decent amount of people in my dorm. I know everyone on my little half of the hall just nobody else besides that really.

Haven't read the thread but if you're in college, ENJOY EVERY SECOND OF IT. College, like anything worth doing, can be as fun or as shitty as you make it.
It's the first time you will be experiencing many things and sitting in your dorm wallowing in self-pity won't help things. This is where you should be developing skills that will help you in the adult world and not just the crap you learn in class. Get out of your comfort zone. Go out w/ some friends to a house party to meet new people. Join a club. Organize a school event. Make out w/ someone. College isn't all about academics but it's learning to work in a highly socialized environment.

[quote name='jaykrue']College isn't all about academics but it's learning to work in a highly socialized environment.[/QUOTE]I thought college was all academics, which is why I spend ALL weekend and evenings doing homework, not going out at all. By doing well, I'll get a good job.

Although, I do go out every once in a while to DDR Club, or some video game/anime related party with really cool people.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I thought college was all academics, which is why I spend ALL weekend and evenings doing homework, not going out at all. By doing well, I'll get a good job.

Although, I do go out every once in a while to DDR Club, or some video game/anime related party with really cool people.[/quote]

:wall:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I thought college was all academics, which is why I spend ALL weekend and evenings doing homework, not going out at all. By doing well, I'll get a good job.

Although, I do go out every once in a while to DDR Club, or some video game/anime related party with really cool people.[/quote]

That's predicated on the old notion that education trumps networking. For the most part it does, but networking (aka socializing for the very reason to connect w/ someone to collaborate on a project) is an invaluable tool that enhances education. Some of the people I hired to work for my company right out of college knew me beforehand simply because they took the time to get to know me as a person - either through friends or parents of friends.

If 2 people w/ equal skill & education come to me for a job, I'm gonna choose the person I'm more familiar with because I already established a connection w/ that person versus an unproven stranger. Plus, like many companies, a lot of job openings aren't posted to places like Monster.com (especially in light of the recent data scandal) or Careerbuilder. If someone in the company sees an opening before a public revelation, he's far more likely to call up a buddy w/ the skills before anyone else gets a chance.

It's for these very reasons why social skills are just as vital as pure technical education. Sure, you can be the greatest engineer in the world but if you lack the capability to associate w/ your colleagues, far less able and qualified (but more networked) engineers will get more work than you.

[quote name='jaykrue']That's predicated on the old notion that education trumps networking. For the most part it does, but networking (aka socializing for the very reason to connect w/ someone to collaborate on a project) is an invaluable tool that enhances education. Some of the people I hired to work for my company right out of college knew me beforehand simply because they took the time to get to know me as a person - either through friends or parents of friends.

If 2 people w/ equal skill & education come to me for a job, I'm gonna choose the person I'm more familiar with because I already established a connection w/ that person versus an unproven stranger. Plus, like many companies, a lot of job openings aren't posted to places like Monster.com (especially in light of the recent data scandal) or Careerbuilder. If someone in the company sees an opening before a public revelation, he's far more likely to call up a buddy w/ the skills before anyone else gets a chance.

It's for these very reasons why social skills are just as vital as pure technical education. Sure, you can be the greatest engineer in the world but if you lack the capability to associate w/ your colleagues, far less able and qualified (but more networked) engineers will get more work than you.[/QUOTE]

This is especially true in a number of fields, mine for example, film, is nearly completely based upon it.

In fact, those who are lucky enough to attend USC's Producer's Masters program, the first day of class they take you out to a bar so that you can learn to socialize with the Hollywood elite.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Although, I do go out every once in a while to DDR Club, or some video game/anime related party with really cool people.[/QUOTE]
Think about what you just said.

[quote name='jaykrue']That's predicated on the old notion that education trumps networking. For the most part it does, but networking (aka socializing for the very reason to connect w/ someone to collaborate on a project) is an invaluable tool that enhances education. Some of the people I hired to work for my company right out of college knew me beforehand simply because they took the time to get to know me as a person - either through friends or parents of friends.

It's for these very reasons why social skills are just as vital as pure technical education. Sure, you can be the greatest engineer in the world but if you lack the capability to associate w/ your colleagues, far less able and qualified (but more networked) engineers will get more work than you.[/quote]

fuck this guy is back?

You and Maynard should hook up.

Listening to The Mana Knight giving advice on college-living is like listening to a fat guy criticizing what you're eating, or a 6 ft 135lb guy trying to give you advice on how to lift weights. It's not annoying, it's just REALLY sad.

You don't have to do any shit you don't want to do, but for your sanity you'd better keep busy. Also, I wish I would've learned this earlier, but it's not about WHAT you know, it's WHO you know. Sure, everyone likes to think the quiet smart guy will get the great job and be really successful, but if that's the case then why are we ALWAYS whining about the poor decisions of rich dumb asses on this site. Think about it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I thought college was all academics, which is why I spend ALL weekend and evenings doing homework, not going out at all. By doing well, I'll get a good job.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we get it, you're an ubernerd with no life who enjoys bragging about what a great little student you are and all the homework you seem to love doing. You've posted this information in a few different threads, all with this blind optimism you love to exude. We get it, now shut up. Don't give this kid advice about college when you should be asking for it yourself!

God, and to think that, if not for my roommate my freshman year, I might have ended up just like you.

[quote name='Callandor']Yes, we get it, you're an ubernerd with no life who enjoys bragging about what a great little student you are and all the homework you seem to love doing. You've posted this information in a few different threads, all with this blind optimism you love to exude. We get it, now shut up. Don't give this kid advice about college when you should be asking for it yourself!

God, and to think that, if not for my roommate my freshman year, I might have ended up just like you.[/QUOTE]Naw, I'm not a nerd actually. Maybe a little weird, but that's all.

I actually never had a roommate in college. I did whatever I could to get a single room. Maybe a roommate would have changed me like you.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Naw, I'm not a nerd actually. Maybe a little weird, but that's all.

I actually never had a roommate in college. I did whatever I could to get a single room. Maybe a roommate would have changed me like you.[/QUOTE]
Jesus Christ. You're digging yourself a bigger hole, here.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Naw, I'm not a nerd actually. Maybe a little weird, but that's all.

I actually never had a roommate in college. I did whatever I could to get a single room. Maybe a roommate would have changed me like you.[/QUOTE]

You're out of college? Huh, I wasn't expecting that..

My roommate instilled my mild social side, my mild interest in alcohol, and he got me smoking pot. So, yeah, he did change me. :D

However, that was 5-6 years ago. My freshman year was my "growing up" period, if you will, where I started to shed the simplistic skin of my high school days and drape myself in the midnight robes of adulthood. I've severely backed off from the vices of my 19-22 year old phase (which I went through without any damage to my GPA, reputation, or job status, thank you very much), but I've never regretted them. I indulge myself on rare occasions, yes, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

To the OP: go out and have some fun, but don't fly so high you forget where your ground is. Don't go so far down the side road that you forget the long-term reason why you're in college, but enjoy the scenery on the side road while you're at it.

[quote name='Callandor']You're out of college? Huh, I wasn't expecting that..

My roommate instilled my mild social side, my mild interest in alcohol, and he got me smoking pot. So, yeah, he did change me. :D

However, that was 5-6 years ago. My freshman year was my "growing up" period, if you will, where I started to shed the simplistic skin of my high school days and drape myself in the midnight robes of adulthood. I've severely backed off from the vices of my 19-22 year old phase (which I went through without any damage to my GPA, reputation, or job status, thank you very much), but I've never regretted them. I indulge myself on rare occasions, yes, but those are the exception rather than the rule.

To the OP: go out and have some fun, but don't fly so high you forget where your ground is. Don't go so far down the side road that you forget the long-term reason why you're in college, but enjoy the scenery on the side road while you're at it.[/QUOTE]Actually, I'm still in college, but that was several years ago when I lived in a dorm (just taking a while to finish due to my stupid senior project electronic device I'm building not working).

[quote name='lordwow']

In fact, those who are lucky enough to attend USC's Producer's Masters program, the first day of class they take you out to a bar so that you can learn to socialize with the Hollywood elite.[/QUOTE]

what bar? i am not a filmmaker but an out of work actor- at least most of the time

I didn't read all the responses here, but for the OP here.

First off, you are 100% normal here. I think most college kids feel some sort of homesickness. Some adapt quickly, some don't. Some are hit hard, some not as much. It's as much personality as anything, but this is normal. I'm sure you have people you know who you would assume are doing great, and they are probalby handling it worse than you. So, first off, don't feel stupid or ashamed of it.

The best thing you can do is to talk to a counselor there on campus. Every single school I have heard of has someone to talk to. They hear these stories all the time, and they will be able to help you through it.

Plus, don't put pressure on yourself about this. College is not the best part of everyone's life. You always hear those stories, but everyone is different. The best part of your life might be after college, heck it might be after your married with kids. You never know when the best part of your life is until it's over. You'll just know that you're loving life, and then boom, you'll wonder what happened.

So, just relax, try to keep up with your school work, and definitely talk to someone. A friend can help, but if you don't want to be ragged on, the counselor might be best.

That, and your normal. You find someone who has never been homesick before and I'll show you a liar.

[quote name='lordxixor101']

That, and your normal. You find someone who has never been homesick before and I'll show you a liar.[/QUOTE]
I can say 100% that I have never been homesick while at college. My friends all moved away at my home, I live in one of the most boring towns I've ever been to, my parents both work and my brother is constantly playing soccer, so when it comes time to go home for the holidays, I hate it. Its nice to have them come up to me, but homesick? Hell no.

Because of this, I have a very hard time seeing what the OP's problem is. Whats so great about your home? If its the friends, make new ones at college. If its your family, well you're SOL there, but it sounds like you're close so make them come to you. If its the stuff you could do in your town, you can probably do it to the nth degree at your college only add in tons of fine ladies.

And the crying? Come on man, if just moving away is gonna make you feel this bad, how are you going to manage when you get married and have a constant job? Perspective.

I'm a freshman and I felt like shit two weeks ago. Now things are going well.

Do these things:

1. Get busy. Don't wallow in your sadness. It doesn't fucking help you.

2. Keep doing your homework. You feel 100% better about yourself if you keep up with everything, and you truly feel like you accomplished something if you get shit done in the library.

3. Talk to people all over. If there's a big group on the elevator, it's tougher, but if you're alone with someone, just say hi and make a comment about whatever. The key is not to be negative (Don't say: I hate this elevator. It always smells like puke, it's hard to make a convo out of that).

If you keep up with those things, you're bounds to meet people in the process.

bread's done
Back