I'm bored, let's talk fighters 15th Anniversary Collection!

A

Apossum

Well fighter thread-heads, we're up to number 15. I think this means we're supposed to have a blog or podcast by now. Maybe even our own T.V. show on G4, which would start off cool but slowly turn into a show about sports games, then finally end up as a bunch of drunk people on stage with scantily clad girls in bikins and a cheering studio audience.

In the tradition of fighter anniversaries, I'll be rereleasing the first version of the fighter thread:

[quote name='Fighter Thread #1 by The VGM (Banned) 05-12-2005, 05:48 PM']Hopefully this will spark some conversation with youy 250+ CAGers on here right now.

I'll start it off by saying some statements/asking some questions and you can reply how you see fit. Hell, ask your own questions!

First things first, what's this whole business about "This isn't arcade perfect, the button lag is attrocious" kind of stuff? I've heard this said about SFIII 3rd Strike for DC. I see nothing wrong with it, but I've never played 3rd Strike in the arcade and I'm not a really a arcade kinda guy, so maybe I'm missing some stuff.

Another things I would like to know is what's up with people not liking the DC/PS2/Xbox pads for fighting games? My theory this that they hold it a different way I do (which they probably do). I can see the Controller S not being so popular among people because it's well....fat.

Discuss.[/quote]

art0aa.jpg

Special thanks to all who keep the fighter thread alive and those who lurk, feel free to post!

whoo, good to see the thread alive and kicking after so many installments. now since this is the 15th anniversary thread, I've got a few very easy questions that hopefully haven't been asked yet:

1. who's your favorite street fighter 2 character and why?

2. what's your favorite strategy to use with said character?

3. what's your preference when it comes to controllers?

1. zangief, when I first started playing SF2, I thought he was the most useless character in the whole game (granted I was 8 years old). the only reason why I thought he sucked was because I couldn't pull out the 360 motion for the life of me. now, after much practice, thsoe motions have become second nature to me and I usually get a wtf look from people at the local arcade whenever I pick him (everybody usually whores out the shotos)

2. I love flying towards my opponent with his body splash attack (jumping down+hp) .that move usually has lots of priority and annoys just abuot everybody. I also like to get in close with the banishing flat (the green hand move) and busting out with a quick SPD. it doesn't always work, but when it does, I feel very happy ( that and it looks damn impressive IMO) other than that, pokes with mk. and mini combos with crounching lp x3 to a sweep work well too.

3. I love my sf2 ps2 controller. I use it for just about everything. the button layout is perfect for both snk and capcom fighters. the only problem i have with it is doing pretzel motions (ala geese's raging storm) other than that, I feel like it's solid, and easily the best ten dollars I've ever spent on a control.

if we're talking normal SF2--

1. Ryu/Ken, because it's so easy to use them and do tons of damage. On the negative side, anyone who has played sf2 can read them like a book.

2. i try to get the other guy dizzy (not too hard of a challenge in Sf2) and then the round is pretty much over with a jump kick, ducking light or medium kick into hurricane kick combo.

3. I love my Saturn-style PS2 controller :D

long time no see, gigan! :wave:

I think it's time I tried to be more active in this thread again. Now on to the questions:

1. As far as World Warrior goes, Guile. I've always been a fan of his play mechanics. He's not as simple to use as Ryu or Ken, but isn't as complicated as oh, say, Zanngief and hiw 360 motions.

2. Turtle Turtle Turtle

3. Arcade sticks all the way. I'd rather use a shitty arcade stick than a normal pad. For 2D Capcom games it's Happs for me, but for everything else I gotta break out the Sanwa.

[quote name='gigan54']

3. what's your preference when it comes to controllers?[/QUOTE]

1) In regular SF2, definately Guile. In Super, Ken.

2) I play an aggressive Guile. I like using jumping sp, crouching wp x4 and then 1 more hit and they'll dizzy. Other than that, Sonic Boom and Flash Kick buffers.

3) I prefer a Hori stick to anything else (except for Tekken,

[quote name='gigan54']

1. zangief, when I first started playing SF2, I thought he was the most useless character in the whole game (granted I was 8 years old). the only reason why I thought he sucked was because I couldn't pull out the 360 motion for the life of me. now, after much practice, thsoe motions have become second nature to me and I usually get a wtf look from people at the local arcade whenever I pick him (everybody usually whores out the shotos)
[/QUOTE]

That's funny because I went with Zangief for the same reason way back when.

1. CE Bison
2. Psycho Rushdown
3. I have the biggest joystick collection ever.

Nice to see we're at #15!

Keep it alive gents!

[quote name='gigan54']

3. what's your preference when it comes to controllers?
[/QUOTE]

1 . Most of you know I'm a Zangief player, so of course, him.

2. Block an air attack then 360 grab before they can do anything. The timing's tough, but you'll notice they won't jump around as much after you catch them with that a couple times.

3. My one-handed RPG controller. j/k :)

1: depends on the version
sf2: shoto
ce: bison / sagat
hf: ryu / zangief
st: ken

2: with shotos i like to fireball trap, if i score a dp then i get fun tick throw/crossup mixups
bison is redizzy central. get scissors kick blocked and you win
gief is fun though. tick throws galore =P

3: the awesome hrap that i got from markman

[quote name='Roufuss']Battle Arena Toshinden 3 is a steaming pile of shit.

I can't believe I liked this game when I was 15.[/quote]

If it makes you feel better I owned fuck.

[quote name='Purple Flames']If it makes you feel better I owned fuck.[/QUOTE]

At least that game has humor going for it... Toshinden 3 is a pile. It controls like shit, it looks like shit, character designs are RETARDED. I forgot how many me too fighters came out on the Playstation.

Battle Arena Toshinden 3 is one of those games I still kinda like. I'm the only freak that likes the entire series. But I never played the 4th one, that only came out in Japan.

I always found BAT 2 to be my favorite.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Battle Arena Toshinden 3 is one of those games I still kinda like. I'm the only freak that likes the entire series. But I never played the 4th one, that only came out in Japan.

I always found BAT 2 to be my favorite.[/QUOTE]

What do you like about BAT 3? I can't find anything that would make me want to play this over Tekken, Soul Cal, or DoA.

It just controls so slow, and the game engine is broken as hell, can juggle people off walls, ceilings, everything.

[quote name='Roufuss']What do you like about BAT 3? I can't find anything that would make me want to play this over Tekken, Soul Cal, or DoA.

It just controls so slow, and the game engine is broken as hell, can juggle people off walls, ceilings, everything.[/QUOTE]

I think is what is kinda fun about it. Plus David is badass!

It leads me to a question... what good fighters are out there that aren't a major franchise, or made by Capcom / SNK / Namco / Sega?

[quote name='Roufuss']It leads me to a question... what good fighters are out there that aren't a major franchise, or made by Capcom / SNK / Namco / Sega?[/QUOTE]

Groove on Fight is a great fighter. I think it 'smade by Atlus.

Jimfoley nailed it. I like BAT 3 cause you can do some crazy combos. Plus each character has alot of moves. And the character selection is pretty big. Even though most are clones.

David was cool. I also like the fact you have to reload with gun characters like Vermillion, so they're not to cheap.

I haven't played any of the BATs, but I was always interested in it. I remember seeing a gameboy version of BAT in an old nintendo power and thinking the old man with the claws looked like fun.

I think tobal No.1 is fairly underappreciated. one of these days I'll beat quest mode! I can't believe they don't let you save during it...anyway, just bought this for like the 5th time at EB for $4.

speaking of which, did you guys find that Tobal 2 was a bit slower than 1? I haven't played it in a couple years but I remember being kinda let down by 2.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I've never played it, but anyone have impressions of the game "Vs." ?[/QUOTE]

Awful game. I remember an ad for Vs saying the characters were based of real people. The fighting was slow and VERY stiff.

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']Awful game. I remember an ad for Vs saying the characters were based of real people. The fighting was slow and VERY stiff.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was guessing... just hadn't heard anything on it really.

Eihgrez (cant spell) was a decent non-usual-fighter-making-company game.... though it was partially handled by namco guys, so I guess I'm wrong >_

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']That's what I was guessing... just hadn't heard anything on it really.

Eihgrez (cant spell) was a decent non-usual-fighter-making-company game.... though it was partially handled by namco guys, so I guess I'm wrong >_

i don't have a problem with sitting down to a good session of tmnt: tournament fighters on snes.. that game delivers

also from konami, i used to rock martial champion back in elementary school when i got tired of whatever sf game was out at the time (i think hyper fighting?).. titi for the win!

and i know it's snk, but it doesn't feel like it gets enough love, but i spent at least a few months playing some dedicated world heroes 2 every night at the bowling alley while my mom played bingo in their bingo hall.

and while all my friends went crazy on vs. games (i think msh vs. sf at the time), i was busy trying to better my picky game on fighting vipers

never really got into mortal kombat, never really got into killer instinct, and never really got into virtua fighter (at least not in the arcade)

[quote name='kristianator']i don't have a problem with sitting down to a good session of tmnt: tournament fighters on snes.. that game delivers

never really got into mortal kombat, never really got into killer instinct, and never really got into virtua fighter (at least not in the arcade)[/quote]

I had TMNT Fighters for me Genesis. Honestly, it got kinda boring afterwhile. But it was cool to actually be able to duke it out between your favorite characters.

You didn't really miss much with Killer Instinct. I seriously doubt that anyone really remembers it. Other than us gamers here and the like. Though I did totally pwned the fuck out of KI: Gold on N64 when I was a kid with Jago on the hardest level. I seriously doubt I could much of anything with it today. I've thought about picking it up and playing again, but remembering all those conditions for the super moves and breakers and stuff got on my nerves.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']You mean Ehrgeiz. I was made by Squaresoft. I rented it when I was a kid with my parents while on vacation in South Carolina. All I remember about the game other than what I just said was that I didn't know how to play it because the BlockBuster I rented it from didn't have the manual. Was interesting to play as Cloud Strife though. Just looked it up at GameStop and they want 20 for it used. So it must not be that easy of a game to find. I certainly don't remember seeing it much of anywhere

Heres some more info from allgame.com (god I love that site):
http://www.allgame.com/cg/agg.dll?p=agg&SQL=GIH||||17278[/QUOTE]

That's all I remember about Ehrgeiz too... Cloud, Tifa, and Sephiroth.

I don't think my friends and I played anyone else when we rented it.

[quote name='HumanSnatcher']I had TMNT Fighters for me Genesis. Honestly, it got kinda boring afterwhile. But it was cool to actually be able to duke it out between your favorite characters.

You didn't really miss much with Killer Instinct. I seriously doubt that anyone really remembers it. Other than us gamers here and the like. Though I did totally pwned the fuck out of KI: Gold on N64 when I was a kid with Jago on the hardest level. I seriously doubt I could much of anything with it today. I've thought about picking it up and playing again, but remembering all those conditions for the super moves and breakers and stuff got on my nerves.[/QUOTE]

oh, i actually played ki/ki2/kigold quite a bit. but a lot of times i just play stuff not because i necessarily love it, but because there's competition for it. ki was it for me back then, everyone at my arcade loved ki2.. and i played it because i like getting into the competitive spirit. currently, i guess that game that fits that description for me right now is probably cvs2. all my friends play it, lots of competition for it here in the bay area.. but i really don't like it that much.

The SNES TMNT Fighters games was definatly the best. Why was the Sega version so crappy? The SNES one was actually decent.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Hey Apossum, you're nominated more than once in the "best CAG" thread, idk if you noticed[/QUOTE]

I was considering myself to vote for apossum, but last minute did someone else. Though, you deserve it (one of the few heavily active CAG users here with a good heart... though eveyone here is nice ;) ).

[quote name='Rodimus Donut']The SNES TMNT Fighters games was definatly the best. Why was the Sega version so crappy? The SNES one was actually decent.[/quote]

Agreed. I had the Genesis version it was way too broken. If you wanted to win all you had to do is pick April, do her elbow rush, walk over to them as they're getting up and then spam her throw until they're dead.

I'm motherfucking back! London was great... Paris was not. But since my dad went on business and he somehow ended up with the ability to get me a free ticket, I flew first class so I couldn't complain.

On topic, I'm probably terrible at KOF XI again... gotta get goin' on that right now.

BTW, thanks for posting like 14 pages worth of stuff in the last week... at least I have something to read now.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Hey Apossum, you're nominated more than once in the "best CAG" thread, idk if you noticed[/QUOTE]

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']I was considering myself to vote for apossum, but last minute did someone else. Though, you deserve it (one of the few heavily active CAG users here with a good heart... though eveyone here is nice )[/quote]

hey, thanks guys. I really appreciate that :) Finally, some recognition for spending way too much time on CAG :lol: funny thing is, I easily spend more time here chatting about games than actually playing them nowadays.

About Tekken DR-- how does it record your ghost data? is it constantly doing it during all your matches and copying it to some other file or is there a mode where you "train" your character. I sure hope it isn't the latter...one last thing, I should know this but are there any differences between the U.S. and Japanese versions?

Welcome back Chacrana!

It just copies your playstyle. If you use a certain move a lot, that will register. When ever you get a move that launches and it usually follows your juggles that you do etc. It can't copy your defense ability or anything like that. It just copies your move usage/juggles/and some movement to an extent.

The CPU brings up an option often on the PSP version where it asks if you want to update your ghost record etc.

It's way better than how ghosts were in Tekken 5.0 in the arcade. In Tekken 5: DR arcade the ghosts did much better.

If anyone has access to play import games and doesn't have Tekken 5 yet. I reccommend the Japanese version, since the ghosts there are actually doing good combos/juggles lol.

So i finally picked up Alpha collection over the weekend and realized i had just purchased SFA3 for the 5th time.

PS1
DC
GBA
PSP
PS2

[quote name='Kuma']So i finally picked up Alpha collection over the weekend and realized i had just purchased SFA3 for the 5th time.

PS1
DC
GBA
PSP
PS2[/QUOTE]

You don't need any of the other except for the PSP / PS2 version, so dump the other three.

I owned Alpha 3 for:

Saturn
DC
PS 1
Some other system I'm probably forgetting

And I got close to $100 for them on Ebay. It's worth it because Alpha 3 is arcade perfect, and the PSP version has the most extra features.

There's no reason to ever touch the GBA / PS 1 versions ever again.

I don't even know what the fuck was going on here...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBQyJwKKg1s&search=street%20fighter%20cartoon[/media]

That story is just too bizarre to wrap my head around.

Guile is some kind of secret leader in the world tournament circuit against Bison? Wow.

Apparently Zangief is evil as well.

:rofl: I love that one part, "using only their code name... STREEEEEEEEET FIGHTER"

bread's done
Back