Im getting a blue screen of death when installing XP(I found out what was wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaijufan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I built my first computer, and I have Windows 98 installed on it, and I am trying to upgrade to XP. I get far enough into the installation where you have to restart your computer for the first time. When I do it gets to the Windows XP loading screen for a second, but then swiches to this blue screen of death. It says:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time youve seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
*** STOP: 0X0000007B (0XF7CB263C, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Well thats what it says. Its running Windows 98 fine, so does anyone have any ideas?

If the disc itself is a good copy the problems should come at activation time.

There are condition which will cause a crash eventually that Win2K and WinXP take more pre-emptive measures against, compared to DOS-based Windows, in issuing alerts and refusing to operate until a condition where data loss is likely comes to pass. There can be a number of hardware faults at work here.

[quote name='epobirs']If the disc itself is a good copy the problems should come at activation time.

There are condition which will cause a crash eventually that Win2K and WinXP take more pre-emptive measures against, compared to DOS-based Windows, in issuing alerts and refusing to operate until a condition where data loss is likely comes to pass. There can be a number of hardware faults at work here.[/quote]
Any idea on where to start?

Reformat and remove all partitions to make sure everything is out of there and install. It sucks but it usually solves problems.

I agree, I always wipe out any previous Windows before installing XP just incase I have files that dont get along with XP

Go to microsoft's site and do a searce for the Harware Compatiblity List (HCL) - if you've got a piece of hardware that's not on the list that could cause some problems

[quote name='PsyClerk']In my experience, it has always been better to just do a reformat and install XP cleanly.

However, if you want to go through with the upgrade, the MS support site has the following:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310064

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324103

My guess is an IDE channel problem, or boot sector virus. Have you tried updating the BIOS?[/quote]
Well I did try to install XP (I have the upgrade version) by itself, and because Im using a SATA hard drive I had to put in a floppy disk so XP would get drivers for it. Even after I do that I got a screen saying that XP could not find any mass storage devices and it was going to restart my computer. My drive is 200 GB. Could that be a problem with Windows having problems seeing data over 137 (?) GB.
[quote name='peteloaf']
Go to microsoft's site and do a searce for the Harware Compatiblity List (HCL) - if you've got a piece of hardware that's not on the list that could cause some problems[/quote]
Anyone have a link to this. I cant find it, but Im sure all of my hardware is coompatible with Windows. My processor is and AMD 64 3200+, I have 1 Gig of Crosair RAM, an X800 Pro, a SATA Maxtor hard drive, and an ASUS motherboard.
Also, on the Windows newsgroup someone recomended running checkdisc. Where can I get this?

make sure your hardware isn't bad...also try google'ing your error message....but i'm thinking it's hardware.

[quote name='vanlandw']make sure your hardware isn't bad...also try google'ing your error message....but i'm thinking it's hardware.[/quote]
But if the hardware is bad why would Windows 98 work on the system?
Also, I found the HCL, so I dont need a link anymore.

1.) Download sygate firewall online, burn it to cd.
2.) Disconnect your pc from the internet/network
3.) Insert the XP CD and select the option to reformat in "NTFS" and install XP (warning this will wipe out all your old data).
4.) Install XP
5.) Install Sygate
6.) Connect to the internet (you may have to restart for the IP to refresh).
7.) Use IE to download all critical Windows Updates, this may take awhile.
8.) Done

I use this process, I had problems installing while connected to the cable modem. I had several trojans blue screen my machine on the first boot up!!! I'm not kidding, my isp really sucked with any type of firewall protection. The above did the trick though.

GS

PS--- It's a good idea to install your virus software before connecting to the net as well.. Always wear your protection.....

I think this is the HCL specifically for hard drives. Link

edit: doh, too late. That's what I get for being slow. Offhand I'd say your SATA drive is probably the culprit.

BTW, you DON'T want your ISP to be responsible for your firewall protection.

[quote name='PsyClerk']I think this is the HCL specifically for hard drives. Link[/quote]
My hard drive is Windows compatable.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/catalog/default.aspx?subID=22&xslt=search&qu=6Y200M0&scope=1
[quote name='Gunslinger5577']
.) Download sygate firewall online, burn it to cd.
2.) Disconnect your pc from the internet/network
3.) Insert the XP CD and select the option to reformat in "NTFS" and install XP (warning this will wipe out all your old data).
4.) Install XP
5.) Install Sygate
6.) Connect to the internet (you may have to restart for the IP to refresh).
7.) Use IE to download all critical Windows Updates, this may take awhile.
8.) Done

I use this process, I had problems installing while connected to the cable modem. I had several trojans blue screen my machine on the first boot up!!! I'm not kidding, my isp really sucked with any type of firewall protection. The above did the trick though.

GS

PS--- It's a good idea to install your virus software before connecting to the net as well.. Always wear your protection.....[/quote]
Can I even do an install like that with the Windows XP upgrade disk?

Yes, you can do an install straight from an upgrade disc. You will need your previous OS's disc handy however. It will prompt you to insert (say as an example) your windows 98 disc and it will check it, then tell you to reinsert your XP upgrade disk. So you should have no problems installing off the upgrade disk. Just make sure you set your CDROM drive as BOOTABLE under BIOS. Also, if you are using SATA drives, make sure SATA is enabled in bios as well.

GS

[quote name='drunken_master']Did you try to format yet? If so than results?[/quote]
I formated it after I could not get Windows XP to install for the first time, and it did nothing to help.
[quote name='Gunslinger5577']
Yes, you can do an install straight from an upgrade disc. You will need your previous OS's disc handy however. It will prompt you to insert (say as an example) your windows 98 disc and it will check it, then tell you to reinsert your XP upgrade disk. So you should have no problems installing off the upgrade disk. Just make sure you set your CDROM drive as BOOTABLE under BIOS. Also, if you are using SATA drives, make sure SATA is enabled in bios as well.
[/quote]
When I did a strait install, even after I installed the SATA drives when Windows told me to, I got an error message saying that Windows could not find any mass storage devices. My CDROM drive is bootable, and I think that SATA is enable in the bios, as the Bios sees my hard drive, and I have Windows 98 installed on the system.
Sometime this week the husband of a friend of my mom is coming over to help me figure it out. He is a tech guy for some company, so I hope that he will know what to do.

I downloaded the newest SATA drives from the ASUS website, and I got a new error message when trying to get Windows XP to install:
Setup did not find any hard disk drves installed on your comptuer.
Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properrly connected to your computer and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacture supplied diagonistic or setup program.
Setup cannot continue. To quit setup press F3.
Remember that Windows 98 is running on this system, so Im pretty sure nothing is wrong with the hard drive.

Thanks to the people on the Anandtech forums for having a solution.
On my motherboard there are two groups of SATA controllers. One requires Promise drivers, the other requires VIA drivers. I plugged my HD into the one that required the VIA drivers, but tried to install XP with Promise drivers. D'oh!
Its a sweet system too.
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
1 Gig PC 3200 RAM
Sapphire ATI Radeon X800 Pro
200 GB Maxtor SATA hard drive
16X DVD Rom
CDRW drive
I played UT2k4 with all settings at high and all of the extra graphical effects turned on. Pretty sweet!

Also, what should I use to tie up the wires into a bundle? I was thinking of using those plastic things police sometimes use.

[FONT=&quot]i think your should use a software tool[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]find registryfix123 in google[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]it will help[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back