I'm going crazy with broken Xbox 360s

Grave_Addiction

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
Dear CAGs,
So about a month ago, my Xbox 360 got the Circle of Death. And being that I live in Guam, I had to spend $30 to ship my system to my parent's house, have them ship it to Microsoft and have them ship it back to me once they received. The whole process cost me about $60 in shipping.

Last Friday, I finally received a replacement unit according to a sheet inside the box. I was extremely excited to try my 360 out on my new 60-inch HDTV, but as soon as I threw in Oblivion, I received a "To play this disc, put it in an Xbox 360 console" error. I chalked it up to a dirty disc. I cleaned it a bit, threw it back in and it played fine.

Then, I went out and bought a used Condemned. It had a few light scratches on it, but nothing too bad. But when I tried to play it, I received the same error message. I looked at the disc again and thought the disc may be too scratched, so I returned it and got a better copy. But of course, I received the same error message when I put the second copy in.

Now, I started fearing something was really wrong. I have a completely mint copy of FFXI and tried that - same damn error. Shit.

So I just got off the phone with Microsoft and it looks like this system is a dud. I ended up speaking with a supervisor there, and he was able to work it so I can send the console directly to the repair center and they will ship it directly back to me, so I only spend another $30 out of my pocket. Oh yeah, they also threw in Kameo.

While I realize there's probably nothing more this guy could do for me, I just find it pretty ridiculous that I was shipped a faulty system to begin with. And now I'm going to be out a total of fuckin' $90 in an attempt at getting a working console that I've already paid $450 (with taxes).

At this point, all I want is just a working system to play my games on, but with the way things are going, I'm not entirely confident my "new" system will be in any better working condition.

I don't know whether to appreciate the extra work Microsoft has gone to accomodate me or continue to be extremely pissed that two of my 360s have broken.

Sincerely,
360less in Guam

That would really piss me off. My power brick died on me last week. I had to wait 7 days for a new one. So I know what it's like. Every console has some duds. The NES had the Blinking Screen of Death, PC's have the Blue Crash Screen, PS2's have the disc read error, and so on. So it's to be expected but not wanted. Anyway good luck with your new 360.

I would call and bitch so you can get FREE shipping. That just plain sucks. At least you got a FREE game out of the deal. I got a FREE wireless controller with all my problems at the beginning.

I know yer in Guam but for most of yer problems a simple warrenty through yer local Best Buy would solve most of yer problems. $50 extra and I don't have to worry about sending it anywhere or doing anything. Walk in there, and get another 360 like that.

Obviously you prolly already know this but I would suggest not living in Guam?

[quote name='Bigsauce']
Obviously you prolly already know this but I would suggest not living in Guam?[/quote]

Probably the worse advice I have ever heard:applause:

My 360 died two weeks ago. Took 5 days to get my pre-paid mailer box even though it was 3day shiping. I shiped it to them on Thursday. They received it this morning at 7 am. I called them at 4pm today and they told me they had received and fixed the 360 and already shipped it out to me. Crazy fast, I would never have thought they would fix and ship in 1 day. It just better not break again

[quote name='kennistond']Probably the worse advice I have ever heard:applause:[/QUOTE]

Really? Because it seemed to work for the guy who posted below you. My real point to that sarcastic line is that the guy lives in Guam. He should expect everything to be harder. Microsoft shouldn't have to do jack crap for him just because he lives in a third world country. Ya gotta take the good with the bad, it's the fact of life.

[quote name='Bigsauce']Really? Because it seemed to work for the guy who posted below you. My real point to that sarcastic line is that the guy lives in Guam. He should expect everything to be harder. Microsoft shouldn't have to do jack crap for him just because he lives in a third world country. Ya gotta take the good with the bad, it's the fact of life.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call Guam a 3rd world country. Its controlled by the US, The United States took control of the island in 1898 after the Battle of Guam of 1898 in the Spanish-American War. They even have one non-voting delegate to the US House of Representatives.

Also, he's there due to a military posting, so it's not like he thought "hey, Guam sounds like a great place to live!"

My own 360 stopped working not long ago, and with all the tales of woe I've read, I'm not confident in my replacment.

At least you got a free game out of this, Grave. I got $130 poorer. I also learned that I will buy every warranty I can on every item over $150 from now on.

Yea, I made sure to get the warrenty. $60 for two years isn't bad. That breaks down to $2.50 a month. Thats pretty good to me

Yea, they ship you a box with a shiping label. I called them today to get the tracking number and found out it will be delivered by ups on friday. So that would make it a total of 8 days to ship them the 360 get it repaired and for me to receive me. Thats damn good.

Mine got mess up about a month ago I call got the box and got a replacement. It only took 7 hours before the replacement got the ring of death. The service might be above average but I don't care about that if they keep sending faulty replacements.

[quote name='PsyClerk']Also, he's there due to a military posting, so it's not like he thought "hey, Guam sounds like a great place to live!"

My own 360 stopped working not long ago, and with all the tales of woe I've read, I'm not confident in my replacment.

At least you got a free game out of this, Grave. I got $130 poorer. I also learned that I will buy every warranty I can on every item over $150 from now on.[/quote]

Sorry this is OT, but if you're posted by the military, how do you have access to a 60" HDTV? Are you off-base?

I just picked up a system on Friday, and all of these horror stories are making me nervous. Have they ironed out most of the issues with the newer systems? I bought the warranty, of course, but I'd really rather not use it.

Would one of those cooling doo-hickies help? I've noticed the system gets pretty hot, and even tho the house isn't hot & it's in a well-ventelated area, if it will help I'll spring for it.

I find it funny some people are actually happy at a fast turn around on a repair. The funny part to me is that your getting a system repaired that is less than a year old. Microsoft makes garbage period. I'm on my fourth X-box that is only six months old and is already crapping out. "FOUR" machines since they came out and all have crapped out after six months, "coincedence", I don't think so. One was so bad I had to return it and only through bitching and complaining that they gave me a new one because the broken one was only two months old. My playstation 2 since it's release, had to replace one and that was because I dropped it while cleaning it. Love my X-box but it's a cheap system that should have been made a hell of a lot better.

Thank God I didn't buy a 360.

[quote name='argyle']I just picked up a system on Friday, and all of these horror stories are making me nervous. Have they ironed out most of the issues with the newer systems? I bought the warranty, of course, but I'd really rather not use it.

Would one of those cooling doo-hickies help? I've noticed the system gets pretty hot, and even tho the house isn't hot & it's in a well-ventelated area, if it will help I'll spring for it.[/QUOTE]

Definitely dont have all the bugs ironed out.
It seems pretty hit or miss.
Mine just died on me after less than 3 months. Simply wont power on anymore. It was living the good life too. Less than 10 hours a week, plenty of airflow. 2 bad 360s in that period of time.
NEVER in the last 20 years have i had a console problem that couldnt be solved by a little hot air.

btw modern PC's don't have Blue Screens of death anymore. Microsoft made sure we never ever see that blue screen anymore in XP hehe...your thinking, windows 95, 98, ME.

This is why I am not buying a 360 any time soon. Nothing like being dicked around for weeks and spending a lot on shipping for something that should be working from the start.

[quote name='coltyhuxx']Sorry this is OT, but if you're posted by the military, how do you have access to a 60" HDTV? Are you off-base?[/quote]

We stores called base exchanges, which are similar to department stores, where you can buy all kinds of electronic equipment.

I've made up my mind. If I get my 360 back and it breaks again, I'm totally done with it. I'll send it back in one more time to be fixed, then I'll sell it. Or I could create one of those awesome console destruction videos, but instead of just blowing mine up, I'll feed it to a shark or something.

[quote name='ITDEFX']btw modern PC's don't have Blue Screens of death anymore. Microsoft made sure we never ever see that blue screen anymore in XP hehe...your thinking, windows 95, 98, ME.[/quote]

OT but XP does have it's own BSoD. It usually only shows up due to serious software problems or hardware failure though (unlike Win9x, which kicked them out if it couldn't read a CD).

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']We stores called base exchanges, which are similar to department stores, where you can buy all kinds of electronic equipment.

I've made up my mind. If I get my 360 back and it breaks again, I'm totally done with it. I'll send it back in one more time to be fixed, then I'll sell it. Or I could create one of those awesome console destruction videos, but instead of just blowing mine up, I'll feed it to a shark or something.[/quote]

No, you should send it to me.

Or if you don't want to do the above, make some stupid contest for it at the Contest board, better to give it to someone then to just destroy it.

Or like you said, you can sell it, but destroying it should be your last resort.

bread's done
Back