I'm interested in buying one of these scanners...

DarkSageRK

Banned
I'm looking to digitally archive a number of my books, so the scanner has to be relatively fast and able to produce a readable scan.

Based on my searches on Newegg, these seem to be the best:

$57 Canon CanoScan LiDE 100
$80 Canon CanoScan LiDE 200
$82 XEROX 7600
$90 EPSON Perfection V300
$116 Canon CanoScan LiDE 700F
$125+s/h Canon CanoScan 5600F
129 EPSON Perfection 4490

Obviously, the cheaper I can get it, the better, since I'm only using it for this one thing. Customer comments on any given one of these range from "it's slow" to "it's fast," so I'm not sure they're all that reliable.

Any idea for what to look for to determine the quality of these things (especially for speed)? I don't buy electronics often, so I'm somewhat clueless.

Not limited to Newegg of course. They're just who I turned to because when I buy electronics, I usually buy through them.

Thanks.

Somewhat off topic here, but do you mean to say your going to scan every page of the books you own to put them on to your computer? I'm not sure what books your going to do but I don't think the scanner is going to matter, it's going to take forever if you have any books of any size to them. Also I would imagine this is going to result in a good bit of HD space being taken up as well, depending on how good of a quality you take for the scan, it's obviously something your going to read later so the quality would have to be pretty high. I'd just look into buying some E-books instead of a scanner. Unless of course these books are your own or one-of-a-kind or older books or something.

Yeah. Every page. I'm not into paying for digital copies of shit I already own.

I dunno, though. For the past year, about half the time I've spent at my job has been spent scanning documents. I'm constantly doing 50-100 page documents, so I don't think it'd be all that problematic. So long as the printer has an okay speed, that is.

Space is not an issue. A book's not going to take a gig of space. :X

bread's done
Back