I'm looking for a surround sound system. Could someone help me out?

Malice

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
I'm looking for a surround sound system that will be used for movie watching, gaming, and plugging into my iPod. I'm looking for something that delivers GREAT sound, is easy to set up and attach from one thing to the other.

It would be great if there is a surround sound system where I could plug my gaming system and my iPod into at the same time. But I don't know if such a thing exists and I really have no clue about surround sound systems.

Summary: I'm looking for a surround sound system to play games and watch movies on my PS3, and plug into my iPod to play music that delivers great sound and is no more than $400.

I'm trying to get my HD setup started. After the surround sound system, I'm going to be getting an HDTV.

Any help is appreciated.

I know two people who have this system and I plan on buying one this holiday season as well.

It's a bit more than you wanted, but the 7.1 surround and very nice bass (not to mention the extra optical inputs for DVD players/consoles) is great for the money.

Link here:
http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/attachment.do?OID=177422&cm

(If you can use the $40 off $200 coupon on sound systems, it would only be $439.99 before tax)

Maizrim, that thing looks dope as hell. I may get it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Is there anything on the market(or coming soon) that's better then it? I'm looking for the be-all end-all of surround sound systems. And I'm changing my money stance from $400 to any price.

This probably isn't the high end set you might be looking for, but I thought I should pitch out some ideas anyways.

I don't have much experience with sound systems, but I got a Spherex set when a couple of people here recomened it. Googled some reviews and most said it was pretty good.

The set used to cost 500 some dollars and had a 10 year warrenty, but the original company got bought out, so warranty is only 90 days now. Prices vary, lowest I've seen is 140 on Ebay (where I got mine over a year ago).

It might look pretty wierd, not to mention it carries the old Xbox brand, but it certianly sounds very nice (from my limited experience anyways). Limited plugs for my needs though, I had to siwtch the optical cable between the PS2 and PS3 quite often as the other plug is for the 360 permenatly. As for the Ipod, I belive you probably could work out a way to plug it in with the analog inputs with some sort of Y-cable. I think there was some sort of adapter in the box too.

I second (or is that third?) the Onkyo HT S800... I have the HT S790 (the previous model) and it's unbeatable for the price. And I'd consider getting it from Onkyo themselves. Their refurbs are pretty highly regarded over at AVS.

That onkyo at cc is about the best you will do for the price. Not much reason to look elsewhere. And don't forget monoprice for your cables.

I forgot to add that when we hooked up his Onkyo, we popped in a Harry Potter DVD and the Whomping Willow scene had things falling off of shelves in the next room! :)

As far as completing the Onyko set, we have this 6 disc DVD player and have had no problems at all - especially for something at that price... I just need to find the surround sound system in silver as well.

Onkyo 6 Disc HDMI Player - $173.99 (w/ Free Shipping)
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-Disc-HDMI-Player-DVCP704S/dp/B000HD0HIU

[quote name='Malice'] I'm looking for the be-all end-all of surround sound systems. And I'm changing my money stance from $400 to any price.[/quote]

You could spend $17K for Revel speakers and $6K on a Denon receiver if you want, but you'd be and idiot. Your home audio should not cost more than your car.

If you are still looking, www.shoponkyo.com is doing 10% off all refurbs and you get free shipping with the coupon code HALL. Its a halloween promo but I just ordered the 7.1 HTSR800 system for $345 shipped with a 2 year extended warranty.

which of their receivers is included in the current HT-S800 pack? I've got a decent set of speakers that I'd like to keep so I might just get the receiver and fill in the rest of the speakers.

Also, how much is a decent CD/DVD player? And how easy is it to get all of this stuff to go together? My woman isn't the most technically inclined of them all so it has to be relatively easy since I don't want to get called while I'm at work because she wants to watch a movie...

bread's done
Back