I'm looking for reviewers!

Nutts

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
Hello fellow CAG's.

Earlier this year, I was bored so I decided to put together my own review website. At the time, my wife, cousins and a couple friends were going to help me write some reviews. Well, fast forward a few months, and I've found that while enthusiastic, my friends and cousins are just not as dedicated to games as I am. Also, my real job has picked up considerably making it even harder to maintain.

So, I'm looking for anyone who likes to play games and who would be interested in writing reviews for my site. If you visit my site www.gamenutts.com you will notice that the reviews are all in bullet-point format. My goal is to give people detailed information in a quick to read, quick to skim, quick to write format.

I know it's not the best looking site. I don't use a lot of flash or fancy graphics, but if I get enough people contributing content on a regular basis, I might be able to spend some time giving it an updated look or some newer features. I also hope to add a message board sometime in the future.

If anyone is interested e-mail me at [email protected] and send me what systems you would like to write for and maybe a little sample section or two from a game you recently played. Also if you perhaps just like to search the net for the latest gaming news and would just rather help maintain news articles let me know that too.

EDIT

Ok, here are some more details.

The games reviewed do not have to be new. Of course those who plan on being early adopters to new systems, would be nice, but that is not a requirement. I plan on keeping the current gen categories going on for some time at least until the system is long dead. So no one is required to buy new games. What I'm looking for is for some true gaming fans who like to express their opinion, and share information on the games that they already naturally play. If that turns out to be 4 games a month then great. If it's just one every month or two, that's fine too.

Right now, it's a small site. I have no advertising, nor do I think I would really want any. My goal is to meet the minimum requirements to qualify for gamerankings.com. That would be 300 reviews at this point and maybe some other things. I'd also like to keep the news pages updated a lot more frequently. I don't think it's neccessary to flood the news sections with things like "games going gold". Unless of course it's a huge game like Halo 3 or something. Also, once we are listed in game rankings, then I can try to do a couple things. One would be to improve the look of the site with flash and fancy graphics. I don't know how hard this would be and how it effects how much space I have on my host server. The same question goes for 300 reviews, and all the screenshots that will be involved. At somepoint I'm probably going to have to upgrade to a better service with more space and bandwith so that's another question that will only be answered through time.
The other item that might come from being listed in gamerankings is that I might be able to eventually get some free copies of games for review from different companies. I know ocasionally small sites do get these perks, because I used to write for a couple differnt small sites like mine. In fact I had one preview actually posted on Lucas Arts website for Gladius, and I think that scored me a couple free Lucas Arts games at the time.

So if you have any interest at all, I would say just give it a try. Let me know you want to do it, and for what systems, and I'll work out the details of how involved you want to be. It can range from just sending me a review in a file, to actually posting through the site complete with screenshots and all.

Thanks for looking.
Mike

[quote name='Matt Young']Does everyone in your family share the initials, "MM"?[/QUOTE]

No, not quite, but I guess everyone who was interested in writing reviews was. :) There is an SM and an AM that may eventually contribute.

As a reviewer for a site that is listed on gamerankings, it looks to me like there's just as much writing involved using your "to the point" format as with a more formal review. I like the idea, but because you go into detail for every single mode of the game it tends to be really cluttered. Now, by no means am I a professional, but, I've written over 50 reviews and a few interviews with developer's, so I'm not clueless. If you want to be "straight to the point" just be it. Just give an overall summary of what makes the game good or bad. It's what they do in EGM every month and it seems to be successful. Just my two cents, take it for what you will.

[quote name='Redeema']As a reviewer for a site that is listed on gamerankings, it looks to me like there's just as much writing involved using your "to the point" format as with a more formal review. I like the idea, but because you go into detail for every single mode of the game it tends to be really cluttered. Now, by no means am I a professional, but, I've written over 50 reviews and a few interviews with developer's, so I'm not clueless. If you want to be "straight to the point" just be it. Just give an overall summary of what makes the game good or bad. It's what they do in EGM every month and it seems to be successful. Just my two cents, take it for what you will.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Redeema. I've written conventional reviews myself in the past for a couple different websites and after reading them for a couple decades, I wanted to try to streamline the information more. As far as game modes go, I probably do go into too much detail, especially around racing games where the modes really start to blend with the gameplay. The problem I have with EGM is that they don't really give you much information, yeah I can summarize, but if I'm a fan of "Career Modes" in a sports title, and I read that Madden's new owner mode is "great and in depth" it just doesn't give me the detail that I want. So I'm really trying to bridge that gap of sorting out the information and providing enough detail so that everyone can find information that they want.

I'll definatley try to keep the game modes section more crisp and consise. There's probably a few times where I could have omitted some needless details. That's where I'm hoping others that want to contribute can provide a different perspective or help streamline the details.

Thanks,
Mike

I'm interested in reviewing. I have a GBA, PS2, DC and decent PC, so i can probably write reviews a fairly decent array of games.

Have I contacted everyone so far who was interested in reviewing? If I haven't I appologize. Please send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I'll be sure to get back with you. I've been talking to some people through e-mail, some through PM's so I might have missed someone.

Thanks everyone for your interest. I hope it will be a fun experience for all.

[quote name='A Link to the Past']I'd like to do a "guest contributor". Ie, someone who isn't obligated to review, but provides reviews.[/QUOTE]

Thats cool. no one will be "obligated" to write a review. Once in a while is cool. Just send me an e-mail to [email protected], and let me know that you can write one every once in a while, and just be ready to write the first one soon, just so I can explain things and get you going with how to do so. After that, you can write as often as you want.

Mike

We've been lucky so far with some of our volunteer reviewers. A couple from CAG have been terrific, and I try to throw them some freebie stuff to review when I can...but sometimes the others are hit or miss.

I've had a lot of people say they're interested, but very few come through. Luckily, the ones that have are outstanding!

Good looking site BTW.

bread's done
Back