I'm new and lost...

Kuroi Kaze

CAGiversary!
Where do I find the rules of what is applicable talk?

No flaming or swearing or pirating or whatever the rules are?

Please direct me so I don't get banned.

I believe this shows me to be an awesome addition to your forum, as my first post is attempting to follow the rules.

Thanks.

Well that is nice and all but appears to be a lot of legal-ese...
I looked through it before making my first post.

I was more looking for "Hey we allow talk about this, but not about this, you can cuss, but you can't embed music, etc...."

Something that clarifies what the posting style is around here.

Once again I had already read the FAQ. It doesn't answer any of the things I just asked about really. It says no vulgar posts, but does saying sh*t or something constitute a vulgar post?

Yes I could endeavor to read through a lot of threads hoping to gain some clairity, but it seemed just asking in the help forum would yield the same results except much more clearly and quickly.

Thanks you for assistance.

Hey Kuroi, welcome to CAG!

Honestly, like the other posters have said, just browse around the site and get a feel for how things work around here. No one is going to freak out if you use naughty language, but try to keep it within reason. Some words are filtered out anyway, i.e. the f-word becomes fuck.

Otherwise, just try not to suck. You'll find that CAG is a very friendly community if you obey some simple unwritten laws:

• Do not flame other posters.
  • Try not to write incohorent posts just for the sake of writing.
  • Do not ever "hoard" games that you find from a CAG deal.
  • Do not discuss piracy.
  • Put posts in their proper category (i.e. "OMG!! Look at this awesome deal I got at a garage sale!!!" in the "Game Deals" forum is just going to get you a lot of responses like, "Sweet! In for 2! Thanks OP!" or "Awesome! Is this YMMV?" or "In before the lock!")
  • Do not post "In before the lock."
That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Bottom line: think about what you are doing here. Although CAG is a large community, it's a tight-knit community. Don't do anything you would be ashamed of if your friends/family/boss found out.

[quote name='HarassmentPanda']
  • Do not ever "hoard" games that you find from a CAG deal.
  • Do not discuss piracy.
[/QUOTE]
Without a doubt, these are probably the two most important rules here. You can tell us about how you bought every one of the 23 copies of Halo 3 you found for $4.75 or you could brag about all of the games you're copying before selling on eBay...but the moment you do, you'll be ripped apart by other posters and added to most of their Ignore lists, if you aren't outright banned (though that usually only happens when piracy is involved).

Beyond that...just don't act like a jerk and you'll be fine. Since all of your posts in this thread are polite and since you can form complete sentences, chances are you've got nothing to worry about. :D

CAG is extremely lenient on most things.

But if you get a reprimand for doing it once, just don't do it again.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Where do I find the rules of what is applicable talk?

No flaming or swearing or pirating or whatever the rules are?

Please direct me so I don't get banned.

I believe this shows me to be an awesome addition to your forum, as my first post is attempting to follow the rules.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
Not that this is necessarily the case, of course, but it makes me raise an eyebrow when someone asks this sort of question in this sort of manner. It makes me feel like they're intending to push some boundaries right from the get-go.

Nah, I can understand where he's coming from. I've been new to forums and wondered what the rules were before. You never want to do something and then get ostracized not knowing you've violated a community's special rule of conduct.

I'm sure there are people just as you've described, but this guy seems pretty cordial.

No, Banky (nice reference by the way) I am not looking to "push the boundaries". Rather I think I may have finally found a gaming forum that has all the perfect attributes and I really don't wanna mess up the chance at having a good online place to hang.

I'm a refugee from 1up if you must know. What they've done to that place is just...inexcusable. I asked for suggestions for other gaming forums and after a couple weeks someone mentioned CAG. I am duly impressed.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Not that this is necessarily the case, of course, but it makes me raise an eyebrow when someone asks this sort of question in this sort of manner. It makes me feel like they're intending to push some boundaries right from the get-go.[/QUOTE]

Naw, WSB - Kaze is a good guy. He runs the Game Face Radio podcast I've hyped before in the CAGCast forums. Very knowledgable in classic videogames and anime.

I think he's just heard about the stellar reputation of the CAG forum and wanted to make a good impression. ;) Kinda like going to someone's home and asking if they would like for you to take your shoes off.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Not that this is necessarily the case, of course, but it makes me raise an eyebrow when someone asks this sort of question in this sort of manner. It makes me feel like they're intending to push some boundaries right from the get-go.[/QUOTE]

I think this quote was much more eyebrow raising.

personally it seems arrogant, but i will withhold judgment till they do something wrong

I am enchanted to have made ackward thread of the year as my first post!!!

Ikohn is dead-on...I'm just arrogant. : )

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']I'm a refugee from 1up if you must know. What they've done to that place is just...inexcusable. I asked for suggestions for other gaming forums and after a couple weeks someone mentioned CAG. I am duly impressed.[/QUOTE]
You mean when they combind all the subforums into one GAF-style mega Gaming Discussion forum?

Yeah, that and the particular style of modding. Not to mention their forum software was really terrible. The NGR'Tards were no help to the cause either.

bread's done
Back