I'm PC-retarded, please help!

Wlogan31

CAGiversary!
Feedback
128 (100%)
The power in my house went out continually last winter and in doing so, eventually killed my computer. I'm about 99% sure that it is just the power supply as it won't try to turn on but there was no smoke, etc like stuff frying...

My question to you guys is: How hard is it to replace the power supply and how in the world can I figure out if the power supply I purchase is compatible w/ my PC?

Thanks in advance,

Will

The Power supply is quite easy to replace I got to say I did it like that the first time if you know a bit about the indside of the computers, uhhh it is replacable always dont let anyone say else because if you can't find the same PSU(Power Supply Unit) you can get a better one and replace it with a new one.

The power supply is a breeze to replace. I had to replace mine after I roasted it upgrading my vid card (I forgot I had a wimpy 230 Watt). Bought a new one off newegg.com and had it up and running in minutes.

You need to know the wattage of your old pack, probably add 50-100W for future-proofing, as well as the connection of it to your Motherboard. I would say that you get someone computer literate to write down what you need. Repair shops are invaluable for this, and just make sure you remember what they say.

After that, you just buy a new one, disconnect the old one, unscrew it, replace, screw it back up, reconnect, check your red voltage switch is in the right position, then fire it up.

Hmm.. The difficulty of replacement varies. Sometimes it's as easy as unscrewing from the frame, and unplugging it from the motherboard & all the drives. Then reversing the process with the newer Power Supply. Although, that depends if it's an Intel, or AMD-based Motherboard. Each have different power plugs.

Installing a PS is easy... figuring out what you need is a bit harder.

You just need to know how much power you need and what kind of connectors you need. It's really not too bad at all though.

bread's done
Back