I'm thinking about getting a DS. What are some cool, innovative games to get.

microjoe1

CAG Veteran
I’ve been thinking about getting a portable system for awhile. At first I couldn’t decide between the DS or PSP. I decided not to get a PSP since I already have a PS2 at home. Games on the PSP look amazing put I can just play that on my PS2 at home. Also, those PSP games don’t look like they could be enjoyable for a few minutes of gameplay here and there. Also, I prefer the lower price point of the Nintendo DS games versus the PSP games.

I’ve decided to go with the DS. I usually hate when something is called innovative. But, I love the idea of the touchscreen. I want to get some games for the DS that you really can’t get anywhere else. What do you guys recommend?

I’m really not interested in ports of older games. I’ll most likely have played them already. I like that Meteos game I’ve heard about. Hopeful, it has that everlasting appeal of Tetris on the original Game Boy. Hell, I bought a Game Boy Advance about 2 years ago and the only game I play on it is the original Tetris. I totally lost interest in it. I’m hoping the Nintendo DS can get me interested in portable games.
So with that done, what do you guys recommend?

Games I have and can vouch for:
Must buy:
Meteos

Worth a try:
Yoshi
Pac-Pix
Mario 64 (you don't want a port, but the new DS mini games are good.)

Games I don't have but have heard:
Must buy:
Kirby

Worth a try:
Feel the Magic
Wario Ware (some people think it's great, but I've heard it's not as original as other WWs)

Kirby and Meteos are currently the "Must Have" games for the system in my opinion. Kirby is the most wildly innovative game on the system, and it's fun. Buy it. Meteos is a rock solid puzzle game that would be nearly impossible to play without the touchscreen (though you can try!). I've played nearly every puzzle game I could find trying to find the next game to beat out the original GB Tetris. Meteos is the first thing to even come close.

Feel the Magic is silly and fun. I traded for it, played it, beat it, and traded it to someone else. No loss, but I'm glad I played it. Wario Ware Touched is cool. Not as crazy as Twisted, but I enjoy it.

And of course Electroplankton. With it looking likely that a US release is in the fufutre, you won't have to import it. But for me it was worth the $50 to import it. Tons of fun (though not a game).

daroga

i currently only own Feel the Magic but i can say that it is a neat little game, i'm planning on getting Meteos & Kirby at some point, and of course Metroid when it comes out. I can't wait for the wi-fi online features... in japan they can download demo games free...

Here's kickass games for DS

Meteos $30
Zoo Keeper $20
Puyo Pop Fever $30
Feel the Magic XY/XX $20
Kirby Canvas Curse $35
Bomberman $30
Yoshi Touch & Go $30
Mr. Driller $30 (Price drop $20 pretty Soon)
Nanostray
================
Coming soon!!!
================
Advance Wars
Castlevania
Nintendogs === 3 versions
Dig Dug
Viewtiful Joe
Shogun Empires
Mario Kart
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Age of Empires
Sonic Rush
Animal Crossing

Like everyone else, I reccomend Kirby Canvas Curse and Meteos. They are amazing games, the 2 best on the DS right now IMO.

I would recommend Pac Pix for a play. It's a pretty fun game, but can get a little old. I'm glad I got it though, it's extremely different and can't be done anywhere else.

Wario Ware Touched is, for me, a very fun game. It was worth the 35 dollars for me to get it, but I got it before MEteos and Kirby came out, so it was, for me, the best game out at the time.

Now Nintendogs is coming out this month. It looks, to me, to be another top game, I preordered it about a month ago.

$0.02

I agree with the posters above, Meteos are Kirby are the best so far. After that my favorites are Wario Ware Touched and Zoo Keeper.

As for the most innovative upcoming games that take advantage of the DS features, I would look out for Nintendogs, Trauma Center and Phoenix Wright.

Edit: Yeah! 100th Post! I am no longer a Newbie. It only took me a year to achieve Regular status.

bomberman is a blast if you can find people to play with. Otherwise it isnt much different from other bomberman games.

I'm hoping to pick up a DS soon too! I can't wait to finally have my own! So many great games to catch up on too.:)

It depends on the prices. Kirby is fun, but not worth $30. Ridge Racer was worth it for $10, but $20 is too much. Meteos is worth $30 in my book.

All the DS games I have, I don't regret owning. I'll try to help you out by listing the game, the price I paid, and what I think it's worth IMO

Feel the Magic $15 $30
Guru Guru Nagetto $23.50 Can't say, I can't understand it yet
Kirby Canvas Curse Free $20
Meteos Free $30
Mr Driller Drill Spirts Got it in a trade $20
Nanostray $30 $25-30
Ridge Racer $10 $15
Sprung $13.50 $10-15
Yoshi Touch & Go Free $15-20
Zoo Keeper $10 $15-20

Hope this helps.

[quote name='The VGM']
Guru Guru Nagetto $23.50 Can't say, I can't understand it yet
[/QUOTE]

I'd put it at about $10. The items and customation give the game some life, but the slow pace stays constant the whole time. Plus, once you create a certain breed, you'll be able to throw it across the whole board and the game loses all point (not like it really had one to begin with). The large japanese barrier doesn't help either.

I think even the people who feel WarioWare: Touched! is the weakest of the trilogy would still agree that it's worth owning and it's a good intro to the DS's capabilities. Other than that, i'd say get Meteos for right now. Toward the end of this month up until December there's going to be a major wave of games that really show of the DS's potential (Lost in Blue, Trauma Center, Trace Memory, Nintendogs, Mario & Luigi 2, Advance Wars, Castlevania, Pac N' Roll, Mario Kart, Phoenix Wright, Animal Crossing, Electroplankton, etc.) in different ways. Wait for the earlier titles like Pac Pix and Yoshi's Touch & Go to drop in price.

Meteos and Kirby are awesome. WarioWare is great, though if you didn't like past installments, you won't like this, though how could you not like past installments? Everyone likes WarioWare.

Nintendogs will be awesome, which was confirmed for me today when I played it in the Nintendo World Store, oddly enough, accompanied by a small handfull of other business men, all of which between 15 to 20 years my senior, all enjoyed their stupid virtual dogs that weren't really theirs, but are probably like the dogs that they'll get when the game is released.

if there's room for another puzzle game other than Meteos in your life, which there hasn't been in mine since I got it, check out Polarium. it's simple, but it'll keep you going for hours.

[quote name='UjnHunter']how did you manage to get all those games free?[/QUOTE]

Best Buy gift certificates.

the games i'm lookin forward to are Lunar Dragon Song, Guilty Gear Dust Strikers, Animal Crossing n' Mario Kart

plus everything else listed :D

another vote for Kirby: Canvas Curse and Meteos. Kirby is a whole lot of fun. I am a big fan of the Kirby games, and I am happy Nintendo decided to do something like Canvas Curse. I didn't think I would like it since I am used to the style of Kirby games like 'Nightmare in Dreamland', but it turned out to be fun and addicting.

Meteos is great. There is a ton of stuff to unlock, and the replay value is really high. I was just able to recently play Meteos with 2 of my friends who recently got DS'. So much fun. Being able to choose your home planet, and go at it in a free for all (or at least picking what person to shoot your meteos at), was awesome.

Also as everyone mentioned, there is a whole lot of great stuff to look forward to. This month alone sees the release of Advance Wars: DS and Nintendogs.

Wow, thanks for the recommendations everyone. Looks like I definitely came to the right place. I think I’ll be getting the games below.

Mr Driller Drill Spirts : I like the previous Mr Driller games that I’ve played. So I have to get this.

Trauma Center: This looks pretty cool.
Meteos : This looks like the puzzle game that can replace the old Tetris. This sounds like it’ll be my first DS game.
Kirby Canvas Curse Free: Looks like an interesting game.
Nanostray : I love shooters so this is definitely something I have got to get. I need at least one game I’m used to playing.

I think I’m going to enjoy the DS. I want to thank everyone for the recommendations. I also like how some posters listed the price they thought the game is worth. This is going to come in handy.

These are definitely some games I’ve never played before. Right now, I’m a PS2 and PC gamer. I wanted to get the DS since it looked so different from anything out there. I generally play mature games on the PS2. So some of these games look to be very different from what I typically play. I mean, I never thought I would buy a Kirby game. But, a fun game is a fun game. That’s what its all about, and I will try anything once. I remember when I first bought Katamari Damacy. I thought I was crazy buying that. But, that game rocked. So bring on the DS games now. I also like how these games all look like something I can play for a few minutes. I don’t have to invest 30 minutes to enjoy the game.

Nanostray has got me thinking. I love shooters. Those were my favorite games from the old 8 bit NES days. I haven’t really played any old school shooters in a long time. I see that there is a Metal Slug Advance version. I think I’ll have to get that, as Metal Slug is my favorite arcade game by far.

Since I’m talking to the experts. Any recommendations for GBA shooters that I can pick up on the cheap?

I would recommend looking for Nanostray now. It seems to be very scarce, or at least around me area.

Just a suggestion.

[quote name='microjoe1']Since I’m talking to the experts. Any recommendations for GBA shooters that I can pick up on the cheap?[/QUOTE]

I'd hardly call myself an expert, but if you can track down Iridion or Iridion 2, those are both excellent shooters. In fact, Nanostray for the DS is made by the same company.

[quote name='microjoe1']Since I’m talking to the experts. Any recommendations for GBA shooters that I can pick up on the cheap?[/QUOTE]

I'm on the look out for some myself. Ones that others have suggested are:

- Iridion II (Not 3D, that game blows I guess)
- R-Type III
- Gradius Galaxies

Enjoy! :)

daroga

bread's done
Back