I'm thinking of buying an ipod....

ZeroSupporT

CAGiversary!
Okay I am going to break down because I really want to get something to listen to while I jog and the way I look at it, its the best mp3 player on the market. Specifically I am eyeing the Ipod Nano 1GB since it is priced right now at about $149.99 at Best Buy and I have $55 in certificates and a $20 gift card from my BDay.
Here are my questions.

1.) My only PC (Windows XP) only has USB 1.0, will this not allow me to transfer (slow transfer is okay)
2.) Can I use Itunes and load my already copied CDs (.mp3 format) on my pc or am I going to have to repurchase songs from Itunes
3.) I am seeing a lot of third party programs that download news and weather, are these pretty reliable/useful with or without the nano
4.) If anyone has the nano, do they like it or is the size to small and have you regretted just the 1GB

Thanks for anyone that answers this.

I personally couldn't do with a Nano, but then again I'm a music freak. 20 Gigs is about right. It can't fit my whole library, but then again, I'd like to see something that could...

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']Okay I am going to break down because I really want to get something to listen to while I jog and the way I look at it, its the best mp3 player on the market. Specifically I am eyeing the Ipod Nano 1GB since it is priced right now at about $149.99 at Best Buy and I have $55 in certificates and a $20 gift card from my BDay.
Here are my questions.

1.) My only PC (Windows XP) only has USB 1.0, will this not allow me to transfer (slow transfer is okay)
2.) Can I use Itunes and load my already copied CDs (.mp3 format) on my pc or am I going to have to repurchase songs from Itunes
3.) I am seeing a lot of third party programs that download news and weather, are these pretty reliable/useful with or without the nano
4.) If anyone has the nano, do they like it or is the size to small and have you regretted just the 1GB

Thanks for anyone that answers this.[/QUOTE]

1. I think you can transfer with USB 1.0 it will be slow if you can.

2. Yes you can import your cds into itunes. All you have to do is have itunes open and running. Then stick in a cd and click the import button.

3. I have no idea never used them.

4. I don't have the nano my friend has one. Its small, if you have big hands I wouldn't recommend it. I have normally sized hands and I had no problem handling his...(ipod that is nothing else :D) My only compliant is that it feels like you could break it in half. Also when you buy it I highly recommend getting a case for it. Get a case that protects the screen and has good padding.

I have a 2 gb nano, and I love it. Sure i wish it housed every single one of my CDs, but for jogging and working out it's perfect. I bought one of those overpriced armbands from apple.com. I'm sure you can find one cheaper. I also advice getting some 'jogging' headphones because the first time I went running with the white one's the kept falling out.

I figured I would throw this out there. I bought a Mobiblu a while ago and have used the crap out of it. I use it for working out, running, working on my car and even cleaning or yard work etc.

I have the 1 gb and its flash so it plays MP3, & WMA as well as doubling as a storage device. The music is transferred by drag and drop or copy or cut and paste in windows. Its easy as cake.

It works with USB plugs and charges on the same plug. I normally get mine to last anywhere from 6-11 hours on a charge.

On top of that its extremely small a 1" square and it has a backlit screen where as the nano doesnt. Its in your price range and its different to say the least. I prefer it due to the music compatibility and if you are looking for just 1 or 2 gb then its perfect. I have had upwards of 400 songs on it at 64kb and currently run around 250 songs (all kb range) and still have 300 + meg to store stuff if needed.

1 gb anywhere from 119.00 and to 126 depending on color:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3756866

2gb at 154 with mutliple colors:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4764750

I have the blue one and its a darker blue than it shows in the linked pic. Its indeed not the color of the "purple" gamecube although it looks it in the pic.
0080872800119_215X215.jpg

0080872800196_215X215.jpg

Heres an old CAG post about it with reviews pics etc:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61914&highlight=mobiblu

and Cheapy bought two at the time I will quote him for full effect:

[quote name='CheapyD']Well, after a quality test run with the MobiBLU and Shure EC2's, I am very impressed.
1GB is plenty of space, especially since its so easy to swap in/out new songs.

I love the fact that its got a lot of different sound settings, including user adjustable EQs.
Do iPods have that?

Highly recommended.[/QUOTE]

alright I am done with my sales pitch.

I have an iPod and I love it. Great sound quality, and putting songs on it (as well as the "ability" to rip songs from it :wink: ) is easy. It's gone through quite a bit and still functions well.

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']1.) My only PC (Windows XP) only has USB 1.0, will this not allow me to transfer (slow transfer is okay)

Thanks for anyone that answers this.[/QUOTE]

1. USB 1.0 works just fine and the transfer speed isn't to bad either. It takes about a minute per song on my computer. Keep in mind that Itunes will automatically slow itself down when it is working in the background/not the selected program. The first time I filled up my ipod I had Itunes minimized and it took more then 8 hours. The second time I kept it as the currently selected program and it took about 1 hour to fill up. It might only do this on old computers like mine though (my is 667 mhz).

2. You can add mp3's that are on your hard drive into your library under Itunes. You don't have to buy everything again. You can also rip music from cds using Itunes but it stores it as the .m4a format.

3. Do you mean podcasts or something else? I'm not aware of any programs like that. Maybe you could give us a link to one of them.

4. 1 GB works out almost perfectly for me. By the time I've listened to all my songs it needs to be recharged again and I just randomly fill it with some new stuff. I guess it'll depend on how you plan on using your ipod.

[quote name='Snake2715']

On top of that its extremely small a 1" square and it has a backlit screen where as the nano doesnt.
[/QUOTE]

My Nano has a backlight, so wtf are you smoking? :lol: I have a 2gb Nano, I lovee it, sleek, thin, easy to use (wheel, weeee!) and I wouldn't like a square bulge sticking out of my pocket although it does look very sechsy.

I'm also a fan of the iTunes/iPod combo and have had no problems at all with my iPod of the last 3 years.

[quote name='cletus']
2. You can add mp3's that are on your hard drive into your library under Itunes. You don't have to buy everything again. You can also rip music from cds using Itunes but it stores it as the .m4a format.
[/QUOTE]

You can also import songs into mp3 in iTunes. The codec and bitrate are settings in the preferences menu.

Here is an example of the program I was going to use
http://www.staylazy.net/wfm/

there are some other ones but I want to avoid any serious "hacking" of my new toy, pretty solid on the ipod now and I think 1GB will be good enough, my last question is does the screen stay pretty bright or is it dim, I will probably be using it mostly at night but I might jump into Itrip and I want to be able to see it in my car.

[quote name='crazytalkx']My Nano has a backlight, so wtf are you smoking? :lol: I have a 2gb Nano, I lovee it, sleek, thin, easy to use (wheel, weeee!) and I wouldn't like a square bulge sticking out of my pocket although it does look very sechsy.[/QUOTE]

Good lord i was thinking of one of the other Ipods.. A new one comes out every damn week!! My bad.

[quote name='ZeroSupporT']Here is an example of the program I was going to use
http://www.staylazy.net/wfm/

there are some other ones but I want to avoid any serious "hacking" of my new toy, pretty solid on the ipod now and I think 1GB will be good enough, my last question is does the screen stay pretty bright or is it dim, I will probably be using it mostly at night but I might jump into Itrip and I want to be able to see it in my car.[/QUOTE]

The screen if bright. I say just go get the nano. You might want to think about the 2gb one, though.

I purchased th4 4gb Nano off of Beachcamera.com for $232 shipped and I'm loving it. Being an all around cheap ass, it took some time to bite the bullet, but I'm glad I did. For the price difference, I'd rather have the extra memory.

USB 1.0 is slower, but it's still pretty damn quick.

I imported files straight from "My Music" folder into iTunes.

I'm about 6'3" with pretty big hands and have no trouble with my Nano, I plan on using it in my car so the smaller size is preferable, I also use it in the gym. I purchased a hard plastic clear case off of overstock.com for about $15, it's either that or a "rubber glove" and extra money for the plastic screen protector.

I have a 30gb video I got for about $70 (referral site). I can't talk about the nano in particular, but the screen is the same, but smaller, and it's nice and bright and easily read. I haven't filled 30gb (even with some family guy eps on there) with all my mp3s it's about 8gb filled. I don't think I could deal with a 1gb since I can never decide what music I want to listen to, but if you don't have much music or you have time to transfer what you want when you want it then it doesn't really matter.

I also have a question though if anybody knows, am I supposed to eject this fucker whenever I shut down my computer?

[quote name='DJ K8E']I personally couldn't do with a Nano, but then again I'm a music freak. 20 Gigs is about right. It can't fit my whole library, but then again, I'd like to see something that could...[/QUOTE]I recently upgraded my iriver h320 to a 30gb drive, and I still have about 10gb of stuff sitting on my hard drive. And that just includes what I have ripped right now, which isn't everything. It's also not at an extremely high quality level. I can't imagine 1gb ever being enough, I'd go with at least 2. Even then I'd be switching it up just about every week.

[quote name='Snake2715']Good lord i was thinking of one of the other Ipods.. A new one comes out every damn week!! My bad.[/QUOTE]

yea, u were probly thinking shuffle... that fad came and went fast

bread's done
Back