IMAX Movies?

1NintendoFan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Hey guys,

I was just curious what everyone's thoughts are on IMAX movies. There are a couple of movies coming up that I'm planning to see that will be offered in 3D at the IMAX theaters. It has been a while since I've even been to an IMAX theater, so I'm sure a lot has changed and I've never seen an IMAX movie in 3D (that I can remember) I know I want to see these movies in 3D, so the price will be around $13 at a regular theater, at most, and around $20 for IMAX 3D.

So my questions are:

A. Is it it really worth the price difference (IMAX is also further away from me than the regular theateR)

B. Is it really worth seing all types of movies in IMAX 3D? I'm thinking that action movies would be good, but not so sure on something like a cartoon and things.

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Thanks!

I would investigate first before you spend your hard earned money. IMAX is merely a brand name, and does not necessarily define one specific method of film projection. Currently IMAX runs three types of formats:

IMAX Original- These are the ones you see with the giant screens. They still run using manual, 70mm film, and are generally the best IMAX has to offer. When people hear the word IMAX, this is generally what they think of. There is also an IMAX lite variant which is also 70mm film, but is presented on a smaller screen.

IMAX Digital- This is the most recent development for the IMAX Corp. and the one that has generated the most controversy. IMAX Digital isn't really what people equate IMAX to be at all. It's not a large screen, and the experience is not a whole lot different than a regular movie. The image is projected on the screen using dual 2k Digital Projectors, so the picture is crystal clear, but it's really not a whole lot different than your normal presentation. The sound is greatly improved as that's another part of the IMAX setup, but as a general rule, IMAX Digital is a scam.

They also have a third set up at science museums and the like, but I don't know anything about that.

Personally, I think IMAX is a joke. The big screen is cool for certain movies, but it does little to improve the overall experience. I would save your money and try and find a Real-D 3D screen in your area instead.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea there were different types. I checked the prices at the IMAX theaters by me and was looking at the IMAX price, so I'm not sure what that would be, but I'm assuming would be the better one. I think that the ones I'm looking at are offered in IMAX Original, but I'm not sure since they haven't been released yet. I will probably just stick with a traditional theater, when you add up the cost of tickets, snacks, etc. the price is already outrageous.

Thanks again!

Spmahn is correct. This thread brought up some stuff I read about on Consumerist.com about IMAX.

http://consumerist.com/2009/05/does-your-local-cinema-have-imax-or-just-imax-lite.html

http://consumerist.com/2009/05/imax...h-of-screens-that-matters-its-perception.html

There is also a link somewhere that can tell you if a theater that says is IMAX is real or fake.

Yes IMAX is a joke. The last time I saw a movie in IMAX was the first Transformers movie. It was projected on to an IMAX screen alright, but never filled it up and in letterbox mode :(

Never ever waste your money on IMAX movie if it's currently running in regular theaters.

IMAX Digital is definitely on a larger screen. Or, the ones I've been to are. Not as large as an IMAX Dome, and certainly not as large as your standard IMAX, but larger than a standard movie theatre screen.

I posted about this recently here, but I saw IMAX 3D Avatar twice recently at two different theatres and the experiences were VERY different.

1st Theater -- AMC, $12 + tax, the glasses were heavier plastic with lenses of different colors (red and yellow? red and blue? not sure). I sat in the middle of the theatre. It was incredible. Colors were great, and the 3D was perfect. Sound was excellent, really amazing, no static at all and the volume felt perfect.

2nd Theater -- Regal, $15 flat, the glasses felt cheaper and the lenses were both lightly tinted gray. I sat 4 or 5 rows farther back than before (about three-fourths of the room away from the screen) and it sucked. It was awful. First, the glasses ruined the color. Unlike at the AMC theatre, these gray-lensed glasses made the movie look like I was wearing sunglasses. Plus, sitting farther back ruined the 3D (anything that should've been close to the viewer ended up being terribly out of focus), and the sound wasn't nearly as good.

Both screens were larger than normal and curved instead of flat.

I sent Regal a polite email asking why the glasses were different at their theater, I asked "if both were billed as IMAX 3D, how can I know if the glasses will have gray lenses or not?" but they never gave any sort of response.

Conclusion: I'm going to avoid Regal when possible. If I find myself at another Regal 3D screening, before buying my ticket I'm going to ask if the glasses have different colored lenses... if the lenses are gray, I'll opt for 2D instead. 3D isn't worth the loss of color detail, especially when only ~20% of the seats are at the proper distance for the 3D to be focused. I guess that's why people line up >2 hours before show time, they know there are very few good seats...

I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D at an AMC theater and honestly it was the greatest movie theater experience that I have ever had. I've bought the "3D ticket" many times and have felt ripped off every time except for this time. The glasses were black and had IMAX in blue on the side.

I cannot recommend Avatar in IMAX 3D enough. Simply the best 3D experience of my life.

I plan on seeing Alice In Wonderland if it is offered in IMAX 3D.

That's my 2 cents fwiw..
:cool:

Thanks so much for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

ITDEFX, thanks for the links, I will check them out!

Thanks Rocko, I will need to look into it and see what they are offering. Based on the locations of the theaters, I'm thinking they may be regular ones, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Koggit, the theater I normally go to is AMC and I've always been pretty pleased with them. It looks like the two legit IMAX theaters by me are Regal, so maybe I better stick with AMC. I still have my glasses from the last 3D movie I seen and they are heavier than what I've normally gotten, but they have the gray lense and on the side say "real D 3D" but these are from AMC. They seemed to work great, no problems with color and the 3D was completely in focus. I was sitting in the middle of the theater, but was sitting almost in the back. The 3D at the theater I go to isn't the 3D I was expecting where things are popping out at you, it is kind of hard to explain, but it just makes everything look more real or something. It wasn't what I expected, but I really liked it.

Thanks Seen, it looks like the two closest to me that are real are Regal theaters, based on Koggit's experience, I'm not sure I want to risk it.

BlackFlag, I started watch 3D movies more recently, at AMC, and I was extremely impressed. It really amazed me how great it was, I really wasn't expecting to enjoy it that much and especially didn't think I would like it enough to pay $3 more for every movie, but I have been. I wish I could find an AMC IMAX 3D theater that was nearby me. I would kind of like to just try it out and see if I notice a difference.

I'm not really sure what to do, if the IMAX was AMC, I think I would try it, but being Regal (I've heard other bad things about them as well) I'm not sure I want to spend the extra money and be disappointed. I would like to give it a try, just to see what it is like, but I'm thinking I may be better of sticking with AMC since I like their 3D and everything has worked out in the past.

Thanks again for all the info guys, I really knew nothing about this, so I'm glad I asked first!

A few differences between the two...

Real D 3D:
Is "introverted" 3-d; the 3d picture appears within the screen unlike Imax 3d that pops-out.
Uses 1 projector and is the natural format of 3d movies.
Better than IMAX for viewing angles and long periods of viewing.
Can be shown on a regular/makeshift theater and a few dollars cheaper than IMAX.

IMAX 3D:
Everything pops-out; this is what someone thinks when you mention a 3d movie.
Screen & theater is larger, and best sound system available when going out to the movies (I bring earplugs because it is so loud).
Uses 2 projectors and is not the native format the the movie was shot in.
More bad angles; can lose the 3d if you move your head too frequently.

But the question is, is it really worth seeing a movie in an IMAX Theater if it was NOT shot in IMAX? I know certain scenes in The Dark Knight (opening sequence), ROTF (Forrest Fight) where shot in IMAX, but the rest of the movie was standard. I thought it was still extremely expensive to shoot in IMAX format? Also who still gets the profits from an IMAX ticket? The studios? the IMAX Company?

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I'm just going to save the money and stick with the Real D 3D at AMC. I've been there and really liked it, so I'm not taking the chance of it being a bad experience. Plus, I don't want to have to worry about getting good seats, theaters fill up around here really quickly and I don't really want to have to worry about getting the wrong seat and stuff.

I appreciate all the info, I had know idea all of this stuff!

bread's done
Back