Immediate help needed: Potentially Buying and XBOX today

ratedpeej

CAGiversary!
IS there anything I should know? I haven't followed the XBOX scene too much even tough we have another one in the house, but I'm afraid of getting screwed out of money if there's something wrong or 'different' with the pre-owned unit that I plan to buy. (IE y'know the thing not being able to read a disk format like DUAL-LAYER even though say... FONY licenses these games to be put out there, or having to turn the system upside down to get it working, etc etc)

Have there been any crazy problems with older X-Boxes? If so, should I just buy new?

Also, do any of you know of any good OFFLINE deals, as I don't have a credit card? (I love near a Target, Best Buy, EB, Game Stop, FYE, Walmart, KB, Radio Shack, Pet Smart, .... Pretty much everything I've seen you guys talk about except Fry's Electronics)

I have 3 XBOX Live disks stockpiled already, and I'm definitely going to be into online gaming.

So yeah, you guys have never let me down before (yeah, the post number doesn't lie... I'm a lurker LOL). I appreciate your help in advance.

[quote name='maxflight']you should get the Halo Special Green XBOX Bundle :)

DDR Ultramix is also Live enabled.[/quote]
I agree which will also be great with Ninja Gaiden(the game I voted).
NEVER BUY A PREOWNED/USED XBOX!!!!

I would buy new because some of the old Xbox's with Thomson drives have problems with dirty disc errors. If you have the cash buy a new unit. Alot of places have a free replacement warranty deal for not much extra. I think I paid twenty extra at EBGames for a two year free replacement deal on my Xbox. Here are my favorite Xbox games right now. Toca 2, Splinter Cell:pandora Tomorrow, Crimson Skies, Rainbow Six 3, Rallisport Challenge 2, Full Spectrum Warrior and Voodoo Vince.

If you have an FYE near you (also Coconuts on the west coast..i guess) they have a $30 mail-in rebate.

Some people have complained about Thompson drives...but with my research people have complained with every type of drive...but not in mass #'s like PS2.

Thank you guys :) haha talk about instantaneous response.
I have a question though that's going to make me sound totally NEWBish.... What is GGC? I've pondered this sense I signed up in December. Back then I think there was a FAQ topic and I remember looking at it there an having the light bulb appear above my head and all that cool shtuff... but yeah what is it and how do I go about getting it?

And yeah, I am defniitely getting a new one, and probably in the Halo bundle. Turns out my brother - owner of the XBOX in the house - has one and had problems with it.

Wow I don't know how I forgot to put Splinter Cell on the list uo there... hahaha I'll add that now. Thanks guys :)

and ahh that 30 dollar rebate sounds cool. There's an FYE - or 2 - in the mall nearest me. I actually think we have both an FYE and a Coconuts here, so who knows lol.

I bought a used XBOX, wound up with a Thompson drive. I took it back, and the guy at EB let me find a Samsung drive XBOX, and I got it. No worries.

A little research (actually I just read the topic under mine at this time by lord_slappy) and I found out what it meant... wow

hahaha and thanks for the tip about the underline. Goddamn I feel stupid... haha!

[quote name='ratedpeej']Is it hard to differentiate between the Thompson and the Samsung drives?[/quote]

I hear Smasung's are drives ending in 6's. Google the manufacturing number list and look at it.

as said prev. do not buy a used Xbox and make sure to buy a warranty(from a place like Best Buy)

I agree with everyone here- shell out the extra $20 and just buy a new console. If you're going to play online, you should definitely get Rainbow Six 3. It's one of the more widely played games and it's unbelievably addicting. I also highly suggest Crimson Skies and Knights of the Old Republic, but they weren't on the poll.

So yeah... Despite what you all said... I went out and got a refurbished... BUT I made sure that it was a Samsung, and I got the 1 year everything warranty for safeness as well (which is extendable). I know the guy at the EB I go to fairly well so even before I asked to get teh Samsung drive he was in the stock room digging it out for me. Apparently the unit I have is a 2002 unit with the Samsung swapped in so go-fig LOL. Any problems, I take it right back.

Oh, and I got PGR and Splinter Cell haha.

Again, you guys are awesome. Thank you so so much for all your help. And I'm already bracing for "i told ya so's" as far as the refurbed system goes but.... let's hope it doesn't come to that.

bread's done
Back