Imminent PSP price drop?

The article is very old, where Sony stated many times after that they're not dropping the PSP price. They are profiting off of PSP now, and if they drop the price too much, they won't.

The window for such a move has already closed. Retailers really, really don't like having any such things sprung after Black Friday. So the chances of this happening this year are awfully low.

The thing to keep an eye out for is supplies of hardware getting scarce in the retail channel. If Sony is going to do a major price cut it will likely coincide with a reengineered model of the PSP. Reducing the chip set to 65nm would reduce the cost per unit a good chunk and also improve battery life a fair bit in the process.

I could se a new high end bundle based ont he new chip set and a 4GB Memory Stick at $250, perhaps with some unlockable game demos on the Stick. Such games could potentially be promoted as having a 10 hour battery life compared to UMD-based games on the same hardware. A unit with no Memory Stick or other accessories could be bring the entry level down to $150.

The psp will never beat the DS if it doesn't take that 50 dollar price drop... I don't think sony would be taking a loss on the psp if they dropped it to 150. plus with all the great software they got this holiday season for the psp, it'd be a waste if they really didn't push hardware sales.

[quote name='Thomas96']The psp will never beat the DS if it doesn't take that 50 dollar price drop... I don't think sony would be taking a loss on the psp if they dropped it to 150. plus with all the great software they got this holiday season for the psp, it'd be a waste if they really didn't push hardware sales.[/QUOTE]

The PSP will never beat the DS. Period. Get over it. That is a lost cause. Ain't gonna happen.

That aside, the issue for Sony is for the PSP to generate profits. This isn't a win-lose proposition. The two products compete for many of the same customers but also have customers that will buy one but not the other. sony purposely set out to avoid confronting Nintendo directly by staking out a high-end demographic as their primary target. It's been difficult thus far and mistakes have been made but sticking to the plan is still their best strategy.

Thus far the PSP's biggest handicaps have been in poor execution rather than competition from the DS. The platform needs to be desirable on its own merits before competition enters the picture. If the dS didn't exist the PSP would still be struggling, just not as much.

Forget price drops (though that would be lovely too), I want to know when we'll get some freaking color over here. With Metallic blue coming out in Japan this Xmas, the plain black seems... well plain.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Forget price drops (though that would be lovely too), I want to know when we'll get some freaking color over here. With Metallic blue coming out in Japan this Xmas, the plain black seems... well plain.[/QUOTE]

I really want the ceramic white for the us version.

Of course the PSP will "fail" if the only goal your looking at if it outsells a company that has had almost 100% of the portable gaming market for years.

I think Sony is smart enough to see that dropping the price of the system won't mean greater sells. I personally think their plan to just do different packs instead of dropping the price is a good idea.

[quote name='epobirs']The PSP will never beat the DS. Period. Get over it. That is a lost cause. Ain't gonna happen.

That aside, the issue for Sony is for the PSP to generate profits. This isn't a win-lose proposition. The two products compete for many of the same customers but also have customers that will buy one but not the other. sony purposely set out to avoid confronting Nintendo directly by staking out a high-end demographic as their primary target. It's been difficult thus far and mistakes have been made but sticking to the plan is still their best strategy.

Thus far the PSP's biggest handicaps have been in poor execution rather than competition from the DS. The platform needs to be desirable on its own merits before competition enters the picture. If the dS didn't exist the PSP would still be struggling, just not as much.[/QUOTE]

if sony drops the psp to 150, it'll definitely outsell the DS this holiday season... the list of games that's been released for the holidays (for psp) gives the psp a much better library than the DS...

you got a point, though, the psp needs better execution, but slowly but surely, it's getting better... DS sales are gonna slow up eventually...

[quote name='Thomas96']if sony drops the psp to 150, it'll definitely outsell the DS this holiday season... the list of games that's been released for the holidays (for psp) gives the psp a much better library than the DS...[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to quote for effect. As good as Loco Roco, MGS:pO, GTA:VCS, Killzone (which left a bad taste in my mouth), Luminese 2, Every Extend Edition, and SOCOM 2 are, they don't stack up to Final Fantasy 3, Kirby, Elite Beat Agents, Clubhouse Games, Pokemon Ranger, Yoshi's Island 2, Castlevania: Potrait of Ruin, Contact, and the tons of other games that are more "niche" titles.

I totally disagree. Besides Final Fantasy 3 and Castlevania, the PSP's library is as good, maybe stronger if anything (and it has big titles that are about as desirable as those). The PSP has a lot of experimental titles like the DS too.

One advantage the PSP has is that it already IS a next generation portable. It can be on the market for a loooooong time-and geez, it's underclocked by 1/3 right now.

PSP is dead in my eyes. Not even its two saving graces, MGS: PO and FF: CC can save it. I will definately pick one up if it comes in white and hits the $100 mark. But other than that, I can live without it.

[quote name='Puppy']I totally disagree. Besides Final Fantasy 3 and Castlevania, the PSP's library is as good, maybe stronger if anything (and it has big titles that are about as desirable as those). The PSP has a lot of experimental titles like the DS too.

One advantage the PSP has is that it already IS a next generation portable. It can be on the market for a loooooong time-and geez, it's underclocked by 1/3 right now.[/QUOTE]I agree. I feel the DS has released some excellent games, but I feel PSP has still been releasing better games than the DS.
[quote name='Kendro']PSP is dead in my eyes. Not even its two saving graces, MGS: PO and FF: CC can save it. I will definately pick one up if it comes in white and hits the $100 mark. But other than that, I can live without it.[/QUOTE]Seriously, if you had a PSP and gave many of the good games a shot, you'd see that it's definitely worth owning. I didn't think much of the PSP originally, but once I bought one, I found myself supporting more than every console/handheld I own.
[quote name='furyk']Just wanted to quote for effect. As good as Loco Roco, MGS:pO, GTA:VCS, Killzone (which left a bad taste in my mouth), Luminese 2, Every Extend Edition, and SOCOM 2 are, they don't stack up to Final Fantasy 3, Kirby, Elite Beat Agents, Clubhouse Games, Pokemon Ranger, Yoshi's Island 2, Castlevania: Potrait of Ruin, Contact, and the tons of other games that are more "niche" titles.[/QUOTE]Gitaroo Man Lives owns Elite Beat Agents. Contact isn't all that great.

I think people should leave their fanboyism at the door when we are discussing whether a price drop will occur or not. I don't come to these forums looking for a flame war.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Gitaroo Man Lives owns Elite Beat Agents. Contact isn't all that great.[/QUOTE]

Shame I played it 4 years ago on the PS2. As for Contact, its fantastic. Best RPG I've played in years.

[quote name='jackdoe']I think people should leave their fanboyism at the door when we are discussing whether a price drop will occur or not. I don't come to these forums looking for a flame war.[/QUOTE]

Discussing likes and dislikes isn't a flamewar. This isn't even close to a flamewar (especially when everyone posting in this topic owns a PSP).

If Sony went with a price drop instead of creating more packages I know a bunch of people who would definitely get one. It's around $200 bucks right now which is just not worth it when you can get the ds for much cheaper. If the psp ever dropped to around the same price bracket as the DS I think it's possible for those who are trying to decide between the two systems to be swayed by the psp. I mean the psp is basically a portable media center, it has so many more functions than just playing games and it can be connected to the ps3 for even more functionality.

As far as beating nintendo in haldheld sales it's probably not likely but with a price drop Sony might be able to increase their market share.

Pricedrop? No. Sony needs to redesign this. Include some flash memory (2 gigs) and add a bigger joystick, if not another one. The PSP is dead to me, with the exception of Emulation. Hell, I don't even want to pirate the real games because they don't appeal to me. I only seem to buy the 'Collection' titles and thats it.

bread's done
Back