Import Your Game Collection from IGN to CAG

Ok, so I imported yesterday and got a message saying it's in a processing queue which should take up to an hour to complete. I got up today- no games, same message. What gives? Just crazy-slow since everyone's uploading, or did mine 'break' somehow?

[quote name='DuelLadyS']Ok, so I imported yesterday and got a message saying it's in a processing queue which should take up to an hour to complete. I got up today- no games, same message. What gives? Just crazy-slow since everyone's uploading, or did mine 'break' somehow?[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat.

Assuming just some kinks being worked out.

[quote name='CheapyD']Did you do this?[/QUOTE

I'm in the process of doing that, it takes a while going through them 1 by 1. Also another small issue is for titles that are in the database but are multiplatform, there's no way that I can see to tell in the selection list which platform it is. I.e. here's an example of Guitar Hero Aerosmith, I'm not sure which one to pick:

http://home.windstream.net/jthieme/collection.png

Found a few kinks in the system, if you've having problems keep an eye on this thread - I'm going to make some updates tonight that should resolve any outstanding issues.

Thanks to Cheapy and SP John for this option! I've been wanting to use the CAG database for my collection for some time now, but it would've taken forever to manually enter each game.

Can we get an option not to add? Like if I click on the magnifying glass for an item that came over can I just get a radio button to not add the item? CAG imported all of these xbox magazine demo discs, and I'm not sure it would be right to try and add all of them to the database.

Many thanks, CAG crew!

I need to see if I even have any games to import from IGN as I had stopped doing that quite some time ago. While I haven't been updating my CAG list, I have been updating my list at Backloggery.com. Since the URL was asked for:

http://www.backloggery.com/dumlaox

Hopefully more sites will get added to the process, saving us time when maintaining lists.

Thanks again.

Awesome news Cheapy, ever since IGN's list stopped letting me add games I was hoping I could find another site and be able to import my games. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DuelLadyS']Ok, so I imported yesterday and got a message saying it's in a processing queue which should take up to an hour to complete. I got up today- no games, same message. What gives? Just crazy-slow since everyone's uploading, or did mine 'break' somehow?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jasonlydon']I'm in the same boat.

Assuming just some kinks being worked out.[/QUOTE]

Check again, you should be good to go.

Wow I was just thinking of doing my collection here since IGN's has been broken for months. Nice timing.

[quote name='John']I finished added all the obscure platforms to the scanner, it shouldn't ignore anything now - try running it again. (I've deleted all the games you imported yesterday.)[/QUOTE]

Thanks alot, John- you're the man. I still have some games to confirm, but overall, it worked without a hitch.

It didn't import my "Public Notes" for all my games.

I spent many hours writing mini-reviews for my games, so I was hoping this would fetch that data as well.

Also, about 3/4 of my games didn't match. If I add more to IGN and import again later, will it detect duplicates?

[quote name='John']Check again, you should be good to go.[/QUOTE]

Mine are still getting the processing queue error, unfortunately.

SI

Boy, this would have come in handy a year ago! This will help many others I am sure. With 2200+ it would have saved oodles of time. Great idea and good job!

[quote name='sterlingice']Mine are still getting the processing queue error, unfortunately.

SI[/QUOTE]

Fixed.

[quote name='John']Fixed.[/QUOTE]

Well, I thought I should try it again to see if I break something this time. It's not seeing my collection, near as I can tell (username in IGN is also SterlingIce so it should be pretty simple)

Any idea what I did wrong last time? Also, I tried again and I am back to the processing queue screen- not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

SI

[quote name='sterlingice']Well, I thought I should try it again to see if I break something this time. It's not seeing my collection, near as I can tell (username in IGN is also SterlingIce so it should be pretty simple)

Any idea what I did wrong last time? Also, I tried again and I am back to the processing queue screen- not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

SI[/QUOTE]

Alright, I may have an idea as to what's causing the problem for both of us. I noticed when I wasn't logged into IGN my public list didn't work at all. After some tinkering around while I was logged in I saw a check box in the "Edit Mode" of the list on the top and bottom left of the page that said "Public List". Once I selected this my list started showing up when I wasn't logged in via the link I posted earlier in the thread. As a side note, IGN seems to be fairly broken as I was able to get to a point where this check box simply stopped showing up, but I digress.

On the CAG side, it seems that if the system adds 0 games (or gets sent to a profile that has 0 games?) it somehow breaks and gets stuck in the processing queue phase. Not really sure if this is 100% accurate, but based on the info we have it seems to be the culprit.

Hopefully this information helps everyone out.

[quote name='tekalien88']Alright, I may have an idea as to what's causing the problem for both of us. I noticed when I wasn't logged into IGN my public list didn't work at all. After some tinkering around while I was logged in I saw a check box in the "Edit Mode" of the list on the top and bottom left of the page that said "Public List". Once I selected this my list started showing up when I wasn't logged in via the link I posted earlier in the thread. As a side note, IGN seems to be fairly broken as I was able to get to a point where this check box simply stopped showing up, but I digress.

On the CAG side, it seems that if the system adds 0 games (or gets sent to a profile that has 0 games?) it somehow breaks and gets stuck in the processing queue phase. Not really sure if this is 100% accurate, but based on the info we have it seems to be the culprit.

Hopefully this information helps everyone out.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like pretty sound logic. I went and did see that my have list was private but my want list public- that's certainly strange and I don't remember doing that but maybe I did once upon a time. Both are now public so hopefully that eliminates those issues.

(also, IGN has mucked up their site with so much garbage that even my more open browsers, IE and Chrome, won't add games unless I tinker significantly with security. Firefox, forget about it- with noscript, even moreso)

My CAG collection is still stuck at the "queue screen" from last night so, yeah, I suspect it's broken again on my account. That said, if we've figured out a possible cause- good deal.

SI

[quote name='dumlaox']Many thanks, CAG crew!

I need to see if I even have any games to import from IGN as I had stopped doing that quite some time ago. While I haven't been updating my CAG list, I have been updating my list at Backloggery.com. Since the URL was asked for:

http://www.backloggery.com/dumlaox

Hopefully more sites will get added to the process, saving us time when maintaining lists.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]

I second this recommendation. I used to use IGN but it hasn't worked quite right for a while, so I switched to Backloggery. For example: http://backloggery.com/km3k

The import option worked well for me. I did make sure to make my IGN list "public" before trying it. Had to do a little bit of clean up - but still much faster than trying to do this manually!
Only had to submit 1 game to the CAG DB - Wing Commander (the original) for PC.

A lot of games with an extra space or lacking an extra space came up unconfirmed (e.g. Outrun2 vs Outrun 2) and didn't offer any suggestions.

I think we need a new thread for hilarious import suggestions like these.

Imported "Darius Gaiden", we think it's
Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden

Imported "Jeopardy! 2003", we think it's
Bird Hunter 2003

Imported "NHL 2003", we think it's
Bird Hunter 2003

Overall, it's a great addition to the site and an easy way to build the database. Is there a simple way to weed out misspellings and duplicates from the database?

John, would it be possible for you to somehow reset my account so that I can try again after having fixed my IGN settings? I've been stuck in the processing queue for 4+ days and really want to try this feature out. Thanks again for all your hard working in making this possible for the CAG community.

I've been trying to import my collection from IGN, except I accidentally used the wrong IGN Screename (one that doesn't exist i'm assuming), and now I'm stuck with it saying my games are being processed while nothing has been or is being added. Been like this for the past day or so, I'd appreciate any help!

[quote name='tekalien88']John, would it be possible for you to somehow reset my account so that I can try again after having fixed my IGN settings? I've been stuck in the processing queue for 4+ days and really want to try this feature out. Thanks again for all your hard working in making this possible for the CAG community.[/QUOTE]

+1 (on the thanks for the hard work and on the reset :D )

SI

well IGNs seems broken but I liked that it showed all the games in one page and had images for the boxart on the same page. I completed my import here but thats all I'll do with it.

[quote name='Solid Snake Man']I've been trying to import my collection from IGN, except I accidentally used the wrong IGN Screename (one that doesn't exist i'm assuming), and now I'm stuck with it saying my games are being processed while nothing has been or is being added. Been like this for the past day or so, I'd appreciate any help![/QUOTE]

Oops same issue for me as well...any way to stop the import attempt if you started it in error? Thanks!

If you entered the wrong username for the import the system has now been reset. (Feel free to try again.)

Yay! This time it found 626 games instead of 0. They are now in the processing queue so hopefully it doesn't stall out this time :)

I'll keep you posted

SI

Looks like it worked! Thanks for all the help, John :D

Now I have to manually do my want list but it's all good. Is it supposed to have done that? Mine just did the have list but that's cool

SI

Still going through my imported list, most made it, some are awaiting to be added, but I did notice that none of my Game Gear, Game Boy or Game Boy Color games made the transfer. Not that big of a deal for me, as I only have a handful of titles from those systems to add, but I'm sure someone here has a huge collection.

A lot of mine are still showing in this status:

A request for this game to be added has been submitted. If approved, it will automatically be added to your collection

Is there a big lag getting these approved?

[quote name='NDPsycho']Thanks, but mine found 0 games again?

I'm entering my username as ndpsycho just like it is at IGN.

[/QUOTE]

Why do you own so much crap? My list is like half the size of yours but 10x better in quality, i guess it's true what they say, it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.

Do you actually play even 50% of that crap?

[quote name='decayedmatter']Why do you own so much crap? My list is like half the size of yours but 10x better in quality, i guess it's true what they say, it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.

Do you actually play even 50% of that crap?[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, could you explain again why I should give a damn what you think? Why not run along and question the sexuality of your friends on xbox live like I assume you normally do on a weekend.:roll:

[quote name='NDPsycho']I'm sorry, could you explain again why I should give a damn what you think? Why not run along and question the sexuality of your friends on xbox live like I assume you normally do on a weekend.:roll:[/QUOTE]

The hell does xbox live have to do with it? Just answer the question, how many of your games have you actually beaten? Are you ashamed to answer because you know i'm right? You aren't a gamer, you're a hoarder.

[quote name='decayedmatter']The hell does xbox live have to do with it? Just answer the question, how many of your games have you actually beaten? Are you ashamed to answer because you know i'm right? You aren't a gamer, you're a hoarder.[/QUOTE]

It's an allusion to your maturity level, which you have elaborated on here. Thanks for proving my point. I assume from it, that I've been gaming longer than you've been alive and I've sold more games and systems than you have in your collection, most of which I seem to also own. Of course I have a backlog of games, like most people that frequent this board, but I've played the majority of them. Does that bother you as much as the number of games I own? Grow up, when you get older, maybe you can buy as many games too...

This may have been covered, but, the import tool seems to miss a lot of GBC games. Is there a reason for this? I've had to go in and choose a lot of them after the import.

Oh, and maybe I'm missing it, but this game is actually on GBC; not GBA. I can't find a place to submit this change myself.

EDIT: Actually, the import tool missed all of my GBC games. Granted, I only have ten of them, but still...
EDIT2: Original Game Boy games as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually had a GBC game move over (Pokemon Pinball) but not some others (Pokemon: Gold and Silver, among others). Just figured I'd throw another data point in there.

Also, since they are both using the IGN interface, any chance we might get a Wishlist import function from them? :)

SI

[quote name='NDPsycho']It's an allusion to your maturity level, which you have elaborated on here. Thanks for proving my point. I assume from it, that I've been gaming longer than you've been alive and I've sold more games and systems than you have in your collection, most of which I seem to also own. Of course I have a backlog of games, like most people that frequent this board, but I've played the majority of them. Does that bother you as much as the number of games I own? Grow up, when you get older, maybe you can buy as many games too...[/QUOTE]

I will never own as many games as you...you know why? Because i have actual taste in games, i don't clutter up my collection with crappy shovelware games just to say i own them. Take pride in being a gamer, stop trying to show off by having quantity over quality. Yes i know you have many of the games i own, you are also missing many of the GREAT games i own in favor of crap like ATV offroad.

Hoarders like you make me sick. Oh and i am not young i am 28.

I hope they get around to letting you import your collection from GameSpot. I used to use it years and years ago, but the site has a list of all of the games I owned as of 2007. I really don't want to go back and do it alllllll over again. D:

bread's done
Back