Importance of Japanese Games

elwood731

CAGiversary!
Here's the deal, I am writing an article for my web site on the importance of Japanese developed games for next-gen systems (PS3, X360, Rev), and I'd like some of your thoughts. Nothing incredibly long, but just a general thought.

How important are Japanese developers in the next-gen battle?

If you comment, please reply with your first name, age, and location. If you don't want to post those in the open forum, then you can PM me your quote and info. Thanks in advance.

Interesting topic! Hopefully my response will be used. :)

Response:
I think that Japanese developers will remain important in the next-gen battle as they have some of the most recognizable and prolific franchises in gaming history. They have a proven track record of success that consumers buy based on brand-name alone that few other companies around the world enjoy. However, even though having the support of Japanese publishers is a great start towards market success this by no means it's guaranteed. This can be seen by the success of the Xbox in both America and Europe, where both demographics tended to focus more on the Action/FPS/Sports genre - the last two being not as popular amongst Japanese publishers.

So in the end, it may well depend on what market one is referring to when trying to figure out the importance of Japanese developers in the next-generation. In Japan, lack of said support is practically a sure-fire way of seeing a "failure" while else where, it doesn't necessarily hurt but it may not be as much help as it once was."

Alex
Virginia

BTW, can we edit our statments or is this a one shot deal so long as we tell you we edited the entry?

[quote name='Ecofreak']BTW, can we edit our statments or is this a one shot deal so long as we tell you we edited the entry?[/QUOTE]
It doesn't matter to me if you edit. At some point, however, I will take what's posted and use it. Any edits after that obviously won't matter on my end. Thanks for your help :)

[quote name='Ecofreak']Interesting topic! Hopefully my response will be used. :)

Response:
I think that Japanese developers will remain important in the next-gen battle as they have some of the most recognizable and prolific franchises in gaming history. They have a proven track record of success that consumers buy based on brand-name alone that few other companies around the world enjoy. However, even though having the support of Japanese publishers is a great start towards market success this by no means it's guaranteed. This can be seen by the success of the Xbox in both America and Europe, where both demographics tended to focus more on the Action/FPS/Sports genre - the last two being not as popular amongst Japanese publishers.

So in the end, it may well depend on what market one is referring to when trying to figure out the importance of Japanese developers in the next-generation. In Japan, lack of said support is practically a sure-fire way of seeing a "failure" while else where, it doesn't necessarily hurt but it may not be as much help as it once was."

Alex
Virginia

BTW, can we edit our statments or is this a one shot deal so long as we tell you we edited the entry?[/QUOTE]

Let me put it out here straight. You will NEVER be the #1 spot in the U.S. or Japan without Japanese games on your system. People can argue about XBox but I contest Japanese games DO matter, especially exclusive one's. Why? Because the Japanese are the one's coming up with innovative gameplay and story people give a fuck about, how often do you hear about that with American or Western Devs.? Like people were interested in Half Life's story and Max Payne's wasn't bad but at the same time there are subjects Western Developers won't TOUCH or won't quite think the way said Japanese people will though there may be some exceptions here or there though honestly I think a Western feel will always permeate through it.

bread's done
Back