Importing a DS from Lik-Sang?

megashock5

CAGiversary!
I'm toying with the idea of importing a pink DS for my wife (I already have the U.S. silver one, and want to tell them apart), but I had a couple of questions.

Has anyone ordered from Lik-Sang before? How reliable are they? How long does it usually take? I need it in about a week and a half.

Also, does anyone know how the import model differs from the U.S. one? Are the menus in Japanese or anything like that? Basically, is there anything I need to be aware of before I place the order?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!!

Actually, I've ordered from Lik Sang a few times....I have received packages from both Germany and Hong Kong so if you need it fast I would pick the faster shipping methods (which may cost a small amount). Their shipping times are pretty accurate though. The only thing I didn't like was having to email them my credit card info for some reason....it may have been that their system was down. Anyway, I always get my stuff in good shape. As for the DS's they are not region specific at all. The only thing you will have to do when you turn on the DS is to change the language to English. Which if you have a DS already you can just look at yours and use the same steps. The menus are the same. Great gift for your wife BTW. Hope she loves it!

[quote name='Quackzilla']Free shipping is about 3-4 weeks.[/QUOTE]

Crud, her birthday's on the 14th.

Oh well, thanks for the info everyone.

[quote name='megashock5']Crud, her birthday's on the 14th.

Oh well, thanks for the info everyone.[/QUOTE]
The Nintendo DS doesn't qualify for free shipping anyways. The cheapest shipping option is $23, and according to Lik-Sang, that's 7-30 days. But for only $5 more, you can get EMS (3-4 days) or UPS (1-3 days), which should be just fine to come in time for your wife's birthday.

The new Electric Blue DS comes out in the US on June 6th. That's one way to solve your problem... although your wife would have the cooler looking one :)

[quote name='megashock5']I'm toying with the idea of importing a pink DS for my wife (I already have the U.S. silver one, and want to tell them apart), but I had a couple of questions.

Has anyone ordered from Lik-Sang before? How reliable are they? How long does it usually take? I need it in about a week and a half.

Also, does anyone know how the import model differs from the U.S. one? Are the menus in Japanese or anything like that? Basically, is there anything I need to be aware of before I place the order?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!!![/QUOTE]

Since they are from different regions you will not be able to do any multi player.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Since they are from different regions you will not be able to do any multi player.[/QUOTE]

Whoah, is this true?

If so, that changes everything.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Since they are from different regions you will not be able to do any multi player.[/QUOTE]

are you sure? have you tried and failed before?

[quote name='megashock5']Whoah, is this true?

If so, that changes everything.[/QUOTE]

It's only true if the games themselves are from different regions, like playing multiplayer with both a US and JPN version of the same game.

[quote name='Quackzilla']It's only true if the games themselves are from different regions, like playing multiplayer with both a US and JPN version of the same game.[/QUOTE]

Let me see if I'm following you.

Most of the DS games allow single-cart mulitplayer (mario 64, zoo keeper, etc.)

Would I be able to play these games (U.S. games) that way with one U.S. system and one Japan system?

[quote name='megashock5']Let me see if I'm following you.

Most of the DS games allow single-cart mulitplayer (mario 64, zoo keeper, etc.)

Would I be able to play these games (U.S. games) that way with one U.S. system and one Japan system?[/QUOTE]

I think the single cart multiplayer games will be just fine

[quote name='megashock5']OK, now I found it at gameexpress.com for $143.99 and $7.11 shipping, which is looking reeeeaaallly attractive.

http://www.gameexpress.com/product_detail.cfm?UPC=JP4902370509

Anyone ever hear of this site or have any experience with them?[/QUOTE]

Haven't bought anything from their website but they have a bunch of retail stores in NY/NJ that I've been to & purchased from. The one by my house closed up though, so I have to go to NYC for the nearest one now.

Hmmm. I'm ready to order this thing if the multiplayer will work just like the U.S. model.

Does anyone know where I might be able to find any confirmation on this?

OK, it's ordered. Here's hoping for the best.

One more question, anyone know a good place to get a Hello Kitty sticker that would look nice on the top of it? Maybe just the face, an inch big or slightly smaller? I think she'd dig that.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Good you made the good decision, because nothing is incompatible between DSes. There is no sort of region lockouts at all. What people were talking about is that for example a Japanese Mr Driller will not work with a US Mr. Driller using multi-card play. Nothing to do with the consoles, just the games themselves.

[quote name='megashock5']OK, now I found it at gameexpress.com for $143.99 and $7.11 shipping, which is looking reeeeaaallly attractive.

http://www.gameexpress.com/product_detail.cfm?UPC=JP4902370509

Anyone ever hear of this site or have any experience with them?[/QUOTE]
Wow, that is a really good deal. That would be cheaper than getting an American one w/ tax. In fact, the import ones are cheaper than the American DS's on that site. You might want to email them to double check. (And if it's true, let me know so I can throw hints to my bf :p)

And you're even going to decorate it for her? You must be an awesome husband. The only places I can think of to get Hello Kitty stickers are, of course, Hello Kitty Sanrio stores. In case you didn't think of that already, here's the store locater: http://sanrio.know-where.com/sanrio/
Other than that, I'd recommend maybe Japanese supermarkets.
Edited to add: Apparently the store locater doesn't just locate Sanrio stores, but stores that sell Sanrio stuff. Even better.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Wow, that is a really good deal. That would be cheaper than getting an American one w/ tax. In fact, the import ones are cheaper than the American DS's on that site. You might want to email them to double check. (And if it's true, let me know so I can throw hints to my bf :p)[/QUOTE]

Good idea, I probably should have done that. Too late now. I hope I get what I ordered, it very clearly said 'Pink' in the description. I'll update the thread when it gets here and let you know if it turns out to be the right thing.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']And you're even going to decorate it for her? You must be an awesome husband. The only places I can think of to get Hello Kitty stickers are, of course, Hello Kitty Sanrio stores. In case you didn't think of that already, here's the store locater: http://sanrio.know-where.com/sanrio/
Edited to add: Apparently the store locater doesn't just locate Sanrio stores, but stores that sell Sanrio stuff. Even better.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for the link! I have a few places to check out based on the list it gave me.

The pink DS is tough. It would go nice with my DC. I wouldn't put a Hello Kitty sticker on it though.... but that's just me.

Yeah, I normally would never put a sticker on a game machine. A few days back she said she thought they should make a Hello Kitty DS and she would probably buy it. She then added, 'well, if I was buying one at all.'

Now, the thing is, my wife is not a gamer. She's played Animal Crossing, Worms, Tekken, Bust-a-Move, etc. every great once in a while, but it's really my thing and she just tolerates it (at least most of the time.) She really has taken a liking to my DS, especially Zoo Keeper, but the fact that she even made a statement suggesting actually spending money on gaming herself is nothing short of a miracle.

I figure the pink one with a sticker is as close as I'm going to get.

oh, btw, your Dreamcast is sweeet!

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']Wow, that is a really good deal. That would be cheaper than getting an American one w/ tax. In fact, the import ones are cheaper than the American DS's on that site. You might want to email them to double check. (And if it's true, let me know so I can throw hints to my bf :p)

And you're even going to decorate it for her? You must be an awesome husband. The only places I can think of to get Hello Kitty stickers are, of course, Hello Kitty Sanrio stores. In case you didn't think of that already, here's the store locater: http://sanrio.know-where.com/sanrio/
Edited to add: Apparently the store locater doesn't just locate Sanrio stores, but stores that sell Sanrio stuff. Even better.[/QUOTE]

plenty of hello kitty sticker auctions.

if my gf loved video games, gifts would be soooo easy!

wow, this gameexpress thing is only about 2 miles from my house, and i never even knew about it. ill go check out the store this week. maybe my GF would like a pink DS too....

[quote name='megashock5']oh, btw, your Dreamcast is sweeet![/QUOTE]

Thanks.

jalu: $143.99
(ONLINE ONLY)

They wouldn't sell an import DS instore.

This is weird since I just ordered and received a pink DS for my wife from Lik-Sang. From purchase to receiving took 3 days to Michigan using the UPS shipping. They included instructions on changing the language to English (really easy to do, takes about 5 min). I also got her a Nintendogs Bag and Plush that they carry. Also they give you points to use for future free stuff. So $28 shipping from Hong to the US in 3 days, sounds good to me. Hope your order from the other place goes well, I can't recommend Lik-sang enough even tho this was my first order with them.

Well it shipped yesterday, just a few hours after I placed the order. According to the FedEx tracking number it should arrive tomorrow. And I just used their standard FedEx, not the expedited one.

Here's hoping I get what I ordered!

[quote name='megashock5']Well it shipped yesterday, just a few hours after I placed the order. According to the FedEx tracking number it should arrive tomorrow. And I just used their standard FedEx, not the expedited one.

Here's hoping I get what I ordered![/QUOTE]
I think you did, because now the site description actually has a picture now. I'm not big on pink stuff, but it's a nice color for a DS... time to send the link to my bf. (Too bad he's broke like me.)

That skin is interesting, but I'm really looking more for something simple and tasteful like this. I just Photoshopped it on top of a DS pic from an ebay auction.

hkds.jpg

oh yeah also if you are looking for some nice wife ds gifts. I got my wife the nintendogs bag and plush from lik-sang, do a search for nintendogs and you'll find it, I guess it also goes without saying that once nintendogs comes out that she will probably love it, I know my wife is looking forward to it

[quote name='sononkyo']tell me how the order from gameexpress went. I'm interested as well.[/QUOTE]

they are trustworthy (from my experience)

and that pink DS with the hello kitty sticker looks hot.

[quote name='maxflight']they are trustworthy (from my experience)

and that pink DS with the hello kitty sticker looks hot.[/QUOTE]

I think so, now if I can just find a sticker like that!

I'll post when it gets here, but I just realized a problem. That site only ships to the address that's on your credit card (which is my home address) and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow when I'll be at work. I forgot that FedEx requires a signature.

Looks like I might not get it tomorrow after all. :(

[quote name='megashock5']I think so, now if I can just find a sticker like that!

I'll post when it gets here, but I just realized a problem. That site only ships to the address that's on your credit card (which is my home address) and it's supposed to be delivered tomorrow when I'll be at work. I forgot that FedEx requires a signature.

Looks like I might not get it tomorrow after all. :([/QUOTE]

Try leaving a signed note on the door.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Try leaving a signed note on the door.[/QUOTE]

I did, I just don't know if I should expect that to work or not. Never tried it.
Guess I'll find out soon enough, it's currently "on FedEx vehicle for delivery" according to the tracking update.

EDIT: It now says "Delivered" so we'll see if it's there when I get home.

[quote name='megashock5']I did, I just don't know if I should expect that to work or not. Never tried it.
Guess I'll find out soon enough, it's currently "on FedEx vehicle for delivery" according to the tracking update.

EDIT: It now says "Delivered" so we'll see if it's there when I get home.[/QUOTE]

Please keep us updated, as I'm tempted to order the black or white one. Does anyone know if the colors are solid or metallic?

Luckily I told her that there would be a box on the porch and to ingnore it.

Well, it's here and it's exactly what I expected it to be. Seems to be a great site, the price was good and it came two days after I ordered with the standard shipping. Can't beat that!

The thing is really cool looking. It's sort of metallic, almost pearl-like. Bath-bead, maybe? I found Hello Kiity stickers this morning, along with HK wrapping paper and a stuffed one for a package-topper. Hope she likes it.

Thanks for the help everyone! I just wanted to let you know that it got here and looks great since some of you were considering ordering imports from these guys.

[quote name='megashock5']Luckily I told her that there would be a box on the porch and to ingnore it.

Well, it's here and it's exactly what I expected it to be. Seems to be a great site, the price was good and it came two days after I ordered with the standard shipping. Can't beat that!

The thing is really cool looking. It's sort of metallic, almost pearl-like. Bath-bead, maybe? I found Hello Kiity stickers this morning, along with HK wrapping paper and a stuffed one for a package-topper. Hope she likes it.

Thanks for the help everyone! I just wanted to let you know that it got here and looks great since some of you were considering ordering imports from these guys.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for letting us know! Your wife is going to love your gift :) (I'm trying to imagine a grown man going around stores asking for Hello Kitty stickers... that was probably interesting.)

[quote name='megashock5']Luckily I told her that there would be a box on the porch and to ingnore it.

Thanks for the help everyone! I just wanted to let you know that it got here and looks great since some of you were considering ordering imports from these guys.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, thanks for the feedback. I'll probably end up getting the white DS over the new electric blue one.

[quote name='scdoanintendo']Please keep us updated, as I'm tempted to order the black or white one. Does anyone know if the colors are solid or metallic?[/QUOTE]
According to a review on Play-Asia, the white is a "pearl white", not a "flat white". I'm guessing "flat white" means like iPod-ish. Dunno if that helps.

[quote name='judyjudyjudy']According to a review on Play-Asia, the white is a "pearl white", not a "flat white". I'm guessing "flat white" means like iPod-ish. Dunno if that helps.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just ended up buying the white one, I'll post pics if requested when it arrives.

bread's done
Back