Importing HD DVD's

[quote name='Gorge']What would be the best (cheapest) website to get imported HD-DVD's?[/QUOTE]

Depends on what you are getting.

If you are getting multiple titles from one region, the foreign Amazons are usually the best.
If you are getting one title or a mismatch of titles from different regions, XploitedCinema would be your best bet.
Australia is worth checking out (specifically EzyDVD) due to their dollar being weaker than ours but they only have a handful of titles.
If you are getting Japanese titles, you usually can't do better than HMV Japan price-wise.

[quote name='Gorge']I am under than understanding that HD-DVD's have NO region lock correct?[/QUOTE]

You got it.

Check out this thread for more info: http://forums.highdefdigest.com/showthread.php?t=3010

ebay every now and then has some.

Dont go to hidefdigest. that site is such garbage :(

Xploitedcinema is the best plaCE TO go to.. ignore hdd.. biased reviews + pos mods. Its such a joke :(

For those of you with imports, if I buy an HD-DVD from Amazon Germahy let's say, do they have subtitles automatically, or do I have to turn them off every time I play them?

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Dont go to hidefdigest. that site is such garbage :(

Xploitedcinema is the best plaCE TO go to.. ignore hdd.. biased reviews + pos mods. Its such a joke :([/QUOTE]

:roll: Don't pay attention to him.

That thread is one of the best import threads put together anywhere on the net. kannisto and all of the other members (me included) have a ton of import titles/experience.

[quote name='dmendro']For those of you with imports, if I buy an HD-DVD from Amazon Germahy let's say, do they have subtitles automatically, or do I have to turn them off every time I play them?[/QUOTE]

It depends on the movie.

import and cheap are mutually exclusive.

You're looking at an average of $40 for a disc...ask yourself if this is worth it.

If you're looking for titles from BR exclusive stuiods, your best best is to buy a ps3 for 399 and be done with it. It'll pay for itself over time.

[quote name='gsr']import and cheap are mutually exclusive.

You're looking at an average of $40 for a disc...ask yourself if this is worth it.

If you're looking for titles from BR exclusive stuiods, your best best is to buy a ps3 for 399 and be done with it. It'll pay for itself over time.[/QUOTE]

That's just wrong. Most of the time, the average is around $35 and the only titles I have seen at $40 and above are titles from Germany or Japan.

Plus you have to think most imports are of things that haven't been released on either format in America not just titles only available on Blu-Ray.

I keep a list of titles I've bought just for occasions like this and the prices are after shipping.

Total Recall (France) = $34.22
Mulholland Drive (France) = $35.63
Terminator 2: Judgement Day (France) = $35.63
Elephant Man (France) = $34.39
Serpico (France) = $31.44
Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer (Germany) = $40.00
Band Of Brothers Vol. 1-5 (Japan) = $80
The Machinist (Japan) = $20.75
The Pianist (UK) = $33.21
The Prestige (UK) = $33.21

So, let's do the math.

14 titles
11 titles not available in America on either format (12 if you count the Director's Cut of T2 that comes in the 2 disc set from France which isn't available anywhere else in HD)
$378.48 spent overall
And considering that Blu-Ray titles aren't free (using $19.95 as price point), I've only spent $99.18 extra on imports.

Yeah, I'd say I've done better just buying imports ($99.18) instead of a Blu-Ray player ($399).

Looking at these prices, I have to agree, most of the titles that have come out in other countries and not here are not worth the 35 bucks. However, how did you manage to get the Machinist for only about 20 bucks? I want the link to that site.

[quote name='Gorge']Looking at these prices, I have to agree, most of the titles that have come out in other countries and not here are not worth the 35 bucks. However, how did you manage to get the Machinist for only about 20 bucks? I want the link to that site.[/QUOTE]

That (and Band Of Brothers Vol 1-5) wasn't from a site.

I had a friend in Japan pick them up for me from a second hand store and we did a swap. I paid him back in American HD-DVDs ($100.75 after shipping to Japan from Amazon)

When importing only thing you have to ask yourself is, do I really want this in HD? All of the titles I bought were a yes (besides La Haine where it was the same price to import as it was to buy the American Criterion) and well worth the extra $10-20 I spent on getting them.

[quote name='Sarang01']What is HMV that is suggested for Japanese imports?[/QUOTE]

http://www.hmv.co.jp/

The prices listed are with VAT tax (so more will come off when checking out) and shipping price stays the same which is great if you are getting more than one title.

Nice one Richlough!

I was about to start a thread on importing HD DVD's, I was going to link the HighDefDigest import thread and try to keep it as updated as it is there. Though with this thread up here already, I guess we can discuss imports and just run with it...after all I don't want to be put on trial for creating a thread that's useful to the HD DVD consumers.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Nice one Richlough!

I was about to start a thread on importing HD DVD's, I was going to link the HighDefDigest import thread and try to keep it as updated as it is there. Though with this thread up here already, I guess we can discuss imports and just run with it...after all I don't want to be put on trial for creating a thread that's useful to the HD DVD consumers.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about doing a FAQ with a link to kannisto's thread at HDD at the end just to cut down on some of the more repetitive import question threads but I imagine most people would just ignore it.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Nice one Richlough!

I was about to start a thread on importing HD DVD's, I was going to link the HighDefDigest import thread and try to keep it as updated as it is there. Though with this thread up here already, I guess we can discuss imports and just run with it...after all I don't want to be put on trial for creating a thread that's useful to the HD DVD consumers.[/QUOTE]

Those guys just gave me another reason to not ever support Blu-Ray .

Oh shit , wait I don't want to be banned !

Edit Post , EDIT POST !!!!!

[quote name='Sporadic']I was thinking about doing a FAQ with a link to kannisto's thread at HDD at the end just to cut down on some of the more repetitive import question threads but I imagine most people would just ignore it.[/QUOTE]

Sounds cool , I think I'll test the waters with T2 when I get around to it .

[quote name='Sporadic']I was thinking about doing a FAQ with a link to kannisto's thread at HDD at the end just to cut down on some of the more repetitive import question threads but I imagine most people would just ignore it.[/quote]

I seriously think its a great idea. Lots of us import, it would be a good place for us to discuss what we have and what we recommend also.

[quote name='Richlough']Sounds cool , I think I'll test the waters with T2 when I get around to it .[/QUOTE]

Lion's Gate seems to be almost completely worthless when it comes to HD releases of catalog titles. T2 is suppose to be like 4 stars by Lion's Gate but the Studio Canal version may be the best one overall. Keep in mind it's the only one with Lossless sound.
I can't wait to import some movies like "Volcano High", "The Uninvited" and "Brave Story" from HMV. Why did anyone mention Buyoyo when there are no HDM imports yet from HK unless someone wants to correct me.

[quote name='Sarang01']I can't wait to import some movies like "Volcano High", "The Uninvited" and "Brave Story" from HMV. [/QUOTE]

Heads up, those titles don't have English audio or subtitles.

[quote name='Sarang01']Lion's Gate seems to be almost completely worthless when it comes to HD releases of catalog titles. T2 is suppose to be like 4 stars by Lion's Gate but the Studio Canal version may be the best one overall. Keep in mind it's the only one with Lossless sound.
I can't wait to import some movies like "Volcano High", "The Uninvited" and "Brave Story" from HMV. Why did anyone mention Buyoyo when there are no HDM imports yet from HK unless someone wants to correct me.[/QUOTE]

Are there multiple versions of T2 to import ?
Or is that just a comparison to domestic BR ?

[quote name='Richlough']Are there multiple versions of T2 to import ?
Or is that just a comparison to domestic BR ?[/QUOTE]

I think he was comparing it to the domestic BR.

There are multiple versions of the T2 import though. The French 2 disc set (which is a 2 disc set, disc 1 theatrical with resizable forced subs and disc 2 director's cut), the UK 1 disc set (which is only disc 2 of the French version) and the upcoming German release (some added extras, commentary, 7.1 DTS-HD surround sound and it's rumored to have a different master then the Studio Canal releases - more info at the very bottom of the page http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html)

Trailer of the German release - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A4UKRwSZZo

[quote name='Sporadic']Heads up, those titles don't have English audio or subtitles.[/QUOTE]

I know and I don't care. The first and last are for me to just look and stare at for pure eye candy. I know I'll love seeing the SE in "Volcano High" in HD. Also I'm planning to learn Korean, then after that to get back to learning Japanese, Joyo Kanji et al.
If only "Cutey Honey" were available. Eriko Sato in HD would be great, just staring at that ass.
edit: Btw I was really looking forward to "My Sassy Girl" on HD DVD until it was delayed indefinitely. I was going to buy it near immediately upon release. Language matters less to me there since I almost know the movie by heart dialoguewise or feelwise. I'm just a BIG fan of it. Too bad Dreamworks is going to butcher it with a remake.

[quote name='Sporadic']I think he was comparing it to the domestic BR.

There are multiple versions of the T2 import though. The French 2 disc set (which is a 2 disc set, disc 1 theatrical with resizable forced subs and disc 2 director's cut), the UK 1 disc set (which is only disc 2 of the French version) and the upcoming German release (some added extras, commentary, 7.1 DTS-HD surround sound and it's rumored to have a different master then the Studio Canal releases - more info at the very bottom of the page http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html)

Trailer of the German release - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A4UKRwSZZo[/quote]

I'm waiting on the german release myself. After hearing the audio on the german release of Underworld, I want the german release of everything. :D

I know this is a long shot BUT has anybody seen The Condemed for import to HD DVD? I dont know why but i just really want this movie on HD DVD considering i dont have a PS3 or blu ray.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Any one seen any specs on the Japanese Resident Evil yet?[/QUOTE]

Biohazard/Resident Evil (2002) / 101 minutes
RRP: 5,040 Yen
1080p High Definition 16x9 1.85:1
DTS-HD 5.1 (English), DTS-ES 5.1 (Japanese) & DTS-HD 2.0 (Audio commentary track)
Japanese subtitles
Bonus materials include
- Audio Commentary with cast and crew including Paul Anderson and Milla Jovovich
- Production featurettes
- Trailers and TV spots of the film's Japanese theatrical premiere

http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/2007/10/biohazard-les-aventuriers-on-hd-dvd-in.html

[quote name='Vulcan2422']I know this is a long shot BUT has anybody seen The Condemed for import to HD DVD? I dont know why but i just really want this movie on HD DVD considering i dont have a PS3 or blu ray.[/QUOTE]

I haven't heard anything about it.

[quote name='Sporadic']Biohazard/Resident Evil (2002) / 101 minutes
RRP: 5,040 Yen
1080p High Definition 16x9 1.85:1
DTS-HD 5.1 (English), DTS-ES 5.1 (Japanese) & DTS-HD 2.0 (Audio commentary track)
Japanese subtitles
Bonus materials include
- Audio Commentary with cast and crew including Paul Anderson and Milla Jovovich
- Production featurettes
- Trailers and TV spots of the film's Japanese theatrical premiere

http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/2007/10/biohazard-les-aventuriers-on-hd-dvd-in.html

I haven't heard anything about it.[/quote]

Cool thanks. I was hoping that they'd reveal what codec they are using wether its MPEG-2 like the German one or VC-1 which is what I'm hoping for, guess I'll wait.

[quote name='Sporadic']
more info at the very bottom of the page http://hddvdformat.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html)

Trailer of the German release - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A4UKRwSZZo[/QUOTE]

What the link says ...

Terminator 2 Ultimate HD DVD is an example of how HDi interactivity and dynamicHD technology are both used to enhance the overall home entertainment experience. The video trailer of the upcoming HD DVD release is available via this link. The video trailer was recorded and uploaded by David Mackenzie, a hardware reviewer at DVD Times.co.uk

As presented at the official HD DVD Promotion Group’s press conference at IFA, this title will have a breathtaking set of innovative features on HD DVD.

Among them a “script-to-scene”-feature showing script, storyboard and the movie directly connected on the screen. Users can scroll through the script with the storyboard and the main feature automatically synched to it. T2 will also include a “goofs-mode” where the film can be viewed with all the goofs made visible through text-information, zooming in and special symbols.

Apart from these two groundbreaking features, the disc will feature much more bonus content making this HD DVD one of the “must-haves”. The dynamicHD interface will provide access to even more downloadable content, including up-to-date trailers from Kinowelt, and to the Terminator 2 Ultimate HD DVD online community.

Of course, as soon as we've more specific information about these HD DVD titles, we'll post them up here on this blog. So stay tuned.

I'll wait and get the German version . Thanks for the info/link .:)

[quote name='Sarang01']. Why did anyone mention Buyoyo when there are no HDM imports yet from HK unless someone wants to correct me.[/quote]

Buyoyo has Infernal Affairs Blu-ray and Flash Point Blu-ray. Last time I checked, Blu-ray is HDM.

Please, next time, do your research before posting and stop wasting everyone's time.

So glad I imported my HD DVD copy of "The Graduate" back in June. I knew MGM would never hold true on their promise of releasing their Blu-ray version.

Rich, you just don't understand. But I guess it wouldn't to folks who only own one next gen console, or player.

This is a good thread because there isn't that much understanding about HD imports. I support it.

I got Resident Evil import (German release)... Saw it a couple of days ago. It's not bad. I don't know if it is for keep though. I might trade this movie.

I just got Equilibrium yesterday, I can't say I'm blown away by the PQ, it looks good yes, but for $45 I was hoping it would blow me away. I'm tempted to pick up the DVD just to see how it looks upconverted and make my decision on keeping it or trading/selling it. Its a great film though but $45 hurts. Oh and the menu sucks, it totally looks like a bootleg.

[quote name='dallow']Rich, you just don't understand. But I guess it wouldn't to folks who only own one next gen console, or player.

This is a good thread because there isn't that much understanding about HD imports. I support it.[/quote]
Hey everyone...dallow supports this thread, that means no one is getting demoted or banned...drinks all around:beer:

Do the bonus features on the imports live up to the HD-DVD line? do they normally include bonus features and stuff not found on dvd versions?

[quote name='dallow']Rich, you just don't understand. But I guess it wouldn't to folks who only own one next gen console, or player.

This is a good thread because there isn't that much understanding about HD imports. I support it.[/QUOTE]

This is in response to what ?

[quote name='NegativeZero']Do the bonus features on the imports live up to the HD-DVD line? do they normally include bonus features and stuff not found on dvd versions?[/QUOTE]

Most imports are barebones and I can't think of any that are out right now that have HD exclusive stuff. If they do have anything, it's usually just ported over from the DVD.

bread's done
Back