Importing PS2, what do I need?

Supercake

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Hey, first off sorry if this has been discussed before, but I didn't find anything when I searched.

Alright, well I've decided to finally do some importing, but I'm clueless as to what power converters I'll need. I'm going to get a Japanese Ps2, so I need info, or general knowledge of what to look for. Far as I know, I'll need something to take care of my TV and wall outlet. Thanks.

Japanese power adapters and a/v cables should work on any wall outlet or TV in the US. PAL (European) consoles require you to have a power converter in order to use. So once you've bought a Japanese PS2, you don't need any additional accessories such as a power converter in order to play it.

[quote name='Supercake']Alright, well I've decided to finally do some importing, but I'm clueless as to what power converters I'll need.[/QUOTE]
None. Just buy the system, plug it in, and play.

Yeah it's very simple. I was worried about the power situation as well but I don't use a convertor and have had my Japanese PS2 for 2 years without a problem.

To be specific, and I may be wrong, the Jpn power unit is ~110v, and the American ~220v. So an American outlet supplies enough power for the JPN unit to work (without surging it, even); OTOH, you would need a converter to get an American console to work in Japan.

If cost isn't a concern, get the old model if possible w/ the BB Adapter and HDD. That way you can connect to the PS2 Japan BBNet, which has, I think, downloadable game samples, news, and previews. It's pretty neat, but ultimately not worth the cost. I have plenty of imports that use the HDD (FFXI, FFX International, King of Colosseum I and II, and maybe some others), and it makes you forget some of the dreadful load times that can occur on the PS2.

Also, be sure to get a copy of Vib Ribbon. Everybody ought to own that game.

Ha, thanks mykev. I was just about to ask about the 110v thing. I saw that was mentioned on yesasia and I got worried. Here's the PS2 I'll be getting:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1004089312/section-games/code-c/version-all/did-2885/

Everything look ok? Also, can I use USA memcards on it? I figure so, but I'd like to be sure. I don't mind not having a HD, though that website sounds nice, I can live without. I'll be glad just playing JPN games! Don't worry about Vib Ribbon, that's top on my list of import games to get! ;)

[quote name='mykevermin']To be specific, and I may be wrong, the Jpn power unit is ~110v, and the American ~220v. So an American outlet supplies enough power for the JPN unit to work (without surging it, even); OTOH, you would need a converter to get an American console to work in Japan.[/QUOTE]

You may be wrong.

The standard US outlet is 110-120VAC.

If it was 220V you would NOT be wise to plug in any equipment expecting 110V, especially electronic equipment, unless you like fire.

edit: more than you ever wanted to know about it here:
http://users.pandora.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

[quote name='dratsacras']You may be wrong.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I was only off by 1 number. ;) Good thing I'm not an electrician.

Supercake, be sure to read up on the silver unit; IIRC, there are a minute number of game compatibility issues with that system (PS2 compatibility, not the traditional PS1 compatibility).

Thanks for reminding me, forgot about that. I did read about that issue before:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/659/659949p1.html

There's nothing there that will affect me, and if this is all that isn't compatible, then it's ok. I couldn't read the japanese list, but I'm just assuming these are ones that won't matter.

Will my memory card work in a japanese ps2?

bread's done
Back