Impulse Thanksgiving sale - GalCiv I $0.99

[quote name='mokmoof']How is GalCiv the First? I dig the second one. Will I did the original?[/QUOTE]

It's definitely worth playing though
The A.I is all too willing to give you multi-turn tribute in exchange for your galactic trade good wonders; this allows you to cheat your economy like all hell. Space station bonuses are pretty crazy too.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']It's definitely worth playing though
The A.I is all too willing to give you multi-turn tribute in exchange for your galactic trade good wonders; this allows you to cheat your economy like all hell. Space station bonuses are pretty crazy too.
[/QUOTE]
For a dollar, count me in. Thanks!

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']It's definitely worth playing though
[/QUOTE]
I'll have to try not to do that - MoO 2 was ruined for me once I discovered that if there's nothing in a planet's production queue when it finishes building, you get economic production on that turn as well, just like if you weren't building anything. My brother has sworn never to play it with me again; last time we played, he wiped out most of my fleet, so I used my massive gold stockpiles to rush buy 30 death stars and squash him like a bug.

How is Impulse's policies compared to Steam or Games for Windows. I went through the FAQ on the website and it seems a little shady. Can anyone vouch for them? I don't want to get stuck with a lot of annoying charges and nagware for a 1 dollar game.

[quote name='BitLooter']
I'll have to try not to do that - MoO 2 was ruined for me once I discovered that if there's nothing in a planet's production queue when it finishes building, you get economic production on that turn as well, just like if you weren't building anything. My brother has sworn never to play it with me again; last time we played, he wiped out most of my fleet, so I used my massive gold stockpiles to rush buy 30 death stars and squash him like a bug.
[/QUOTE]

It's not quite that bad, but since both your production and scientific research are based on an allocation of credits, you can really get crushed like a bug on the higher difficulties if you're not swimming in 3000 tribute or so. The best way to do it is to ask for 100 credits per year for thirty years rather than 3,000 in a lump sum, for some reason the AI will never agree to big figures but just loves being in credit card debt, lol.

Other stuff that's important in this game are the morale special resources; later on it's very easy to get run away population boom and there never seems to be enough happiness improvements. Though you can put part of your population on massive marine detachments...

Another critical area to this game is the sweet spot between getting enough colony ships out there early on and not having too many loans.

It would be sweet if they still have multiplayer on this one :)

[quote name='shockblocker']How is Impulse's policies compared to Steam or Games for Windows. I went through the FAQ on the website and it seems a little shady. Can anyone vouch for them? I don't want to get stuck with a lot of annoying charges and nagware for a 1 dollar game.[/QUOTE]

Impulse is one of the main, big DD sites -- though nothing compares with Steam in size. It's been around a few years and is owned by Stardock, the developers of GalCiv.

I've bought a few titles from them, and they're alright. Impulse, their client, is a bit clunky and does popup ads for their sales (until you turn off the "Impulse Now" tray icon), but it works. The client isn't needed to play the game, so you can uninstall it after you have the game downloaded/installed, if you want. You get unlimited redownloading as long as they exist, the client does patching for you (not that further GalCiv patches are too likely), all the usual stuff you'd expect.

One nice advantage of Impulse is that it lets you backup your games in a manner which allows you to restore them without needing to login to Impulse -- it just creates a .7zip file encrypted with your username as the password. I think GalCiv requires internet activation after installation, but for other titles it's a nice way to make an offline backup.

how does GalCiv 1 compare to GalCiv 2? I really enjoyed MOO2 back when I was in university, and Gal Civ 2 is pretty fun too

bread's done
Back