"In before the Lock" posts

[quote name='daphatty']Adding more mods is not the solution. You don't need to be a mod to report "questionable" posts. We are here to facilitate the needs of the community but it's the community's responsibility to speak up. If you see something that doesn't belong then say so. Mod's can't see EVERYTHING nor can they be online ALL THE TIME.[/quote]

No offense, because I like you and think you and Casey do a fine enough job on your own, but to basically say it's the members' responsibility to tell a mod when they need to step up and do their job is kind of crummy. Nobody expects a mod to see everything or be online all the time, and maybe we don't need MORE mods, as a dozen should be enough, but perhaps there should be some DIFFERENT mods. There are plenty of people who are on CAG and active a LOT more often than some of the current mods, and if we had the right active members with forum responsibilities, we'd have plenty of eyes to cover the majority of the hours on CAG, without having to take a passive approach of, "PM me if you see something."

[quote name='bmulligan']
but locking it, is the reason that the thread dies. Essentially it would suffer the same fate if no one posted in it anymore.

But locked topics can never be bumped again. Old topics can always be found and brought back from the dead.

And it's really not up to we regular users whether or not a topic is lockworthy, it's yours. The IBTL(In Before The Lock) posts are kinda like a public spontaneous vote.

And in addition to what I said before, It's one thing to have your topic locked and feel a little angry at the moderator who locked it, it's another thing to have 10 other regulars nudge you into realizing you did something wrong and it won't be tolerated by the community as a whole.

It's just fun to be a smartass. Don't take away the fun, Casey![/quote]

Damn, you keep coming up with those crazy word things that sum up my jumbled thoughts. That's part of what I was trying to say as well.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']No offense, because I like you and think you and Casey do a fine enough job on your own, but to basically say it's the members' responsibility to tell a mod when they need to step up and do their job is kind of crummy.[/quote]

That's not the point I was trying to get across. I meant that no matter how often we mods troll the boards we can't catch every bad post as soon as it hits the boards.

Hell, if you want a perfect example, take a look at the bogus "he ripped me off" threads we had in the Trading Forum two weeks ago. I spent more time trolling that forum than actually working at my paid job. I was able to keep things under control until that evening when I left work. Two more idiots decided to jump into the fray ten minutes after I left work for the day, as if they knew I wasn't looking!

[quote name='daphatty'][quote name='WhipSmartBanky']No offense, because I like you and think you and Casey do a fine enough job on your own, but to basically say it's the members' responsibility to tell a mod when they need to step up and do their job is kind of crummy.[/quote]

That's not the point I was trying to get across. I meant that no matter how often we mods troll the boards we can't catch every bad post as soon as it hits the boards.

Hell, if you want a perfect example, take a look at the bogus "he ripped me off" threads we had in the Trading Forum two weeks ago. I spent more time trolling that forum than actually working at my paid job. I was able to keep things under control until that evening when I left work. Two more idiots decided to jump into the fray ten minutes after I left work for the day, as if they knew I wasn't looking![/quote]

Trolling? That's hardly behavior becoming a moderator.

It's what people do to be as utterly annoying as possible. The reason why they post it is to piss people off, and regardless of how quick you might PM someone they're probably going to try it anyway, most likely succeeding if any mods aren't viewing at the time.

Don't feed the trolls.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Smalien1 is a good example of someone who gets his posts locked quick, because he has mastered the ability to send me a PM and ask me to lock a topic.[/quote]

That was during the blitz of threads by that jackass who kept making inticing thread titles and having them be links to his crappy forums.

[quote name='daphatty']Hell, if you want a perfect example, take a look at the bogus "he ripped me off" threads we had in the Trading Forum two weeks ago. I spent more time trolling that forum than actually working at my paid job. I was able to keep things under control until that evening when I left work. Two more idiots decided to jump into the fray ten minutes after I left work for the day, as if they knew I wasn't looking![/quote]
Ah, good times. I was busting up laughing, because on the fourth or fifth slander thread, you posted, "JESUS F'ING CHRIST!!!" That was pretty much exactly what was going through my head when I saw that billionth thread. :lol:

[quote name='bmulligan']Is this topic for real? Cause 90% of all the posts on this site are virtually useless. Why don't we just eliminate the politcal forums if you need to save bandwidth or storage. Or better yet, get rid of the bragging forum cause THAT one is pretty pointless too. Come to think of it, videogames are pretty pointless in general, save the few surgeons who actually perform better from regular videogame playing.

In before the lock posts do more than just point out an OP's stupidity. they can keep a taboo topic bumped so that moderators can see it and so it can be killed quickly. Would you rather face an onslaught of PM's about suspect topics ? I'll bet you and Cheapy have much better things to do than sort out PM's every 5 minutes from the resident tattle-tales. Besides, nobody WANTS to be a snitch, it's much better to berate someone publicly so they learn NOT to post the same kind of thing again.[/quote]

!00% agree.

I got it!

What we need is a new catch phrase. If everyone is annoyed about "In before lock" posts we need a new phrase that coneys the same meaning but doesn't contain the negative connotation.

Therefore, in the tradition of Underarmor, I propose that all such "in before lock" posts now be written as...

"We must protect this thread!"

why not just install an alert mod button to the forums?

i mean sending a pm takes sooooo long compared to the luxary for pressing a single button and being taken to a thank you screen and having your alert send a pm to EVERY mod so the next one to be online sees it and addresses weather the topic should be locked or not.

[quote name='punqsux']why not just install an alert mod button to the forums?

i mean sending a pm takes sooooo long compared to the luxary for pressing a single button and being taken to a thank you screen and having your alert send a pm to EVERY mod so the next one to be online sees it and addresses weather the topic should be locked or not.[/quote]

Now THIS...is a good idea. Cheapy/Defender, how easily can this be implemented?

[quote name='punqsux']why not just install an alert mod button to the forums?

i mean sending a pm takes sooooo long compared to the luxary for pressing a single button and being taken to a thank you screen and having your alert send a pm to EVERY mod so the next one to be online sees it and addresses weather the topic should be locked or not.[/quote]Who knew you were so smart? :wink:

It could be right next to the start a new topic thread when you're actually in the thread. Nice idea. :)

wow, im shocked people like this idea...i had it when i first read this thread but assumed everyone would be against it so i didnt post it.v i only posted it since no resolution for the problem has been made...but htanks guys ^^

i think the button would help make casual mods more active too as they would be bombarded with private messages XoD

Button?! I've almost got my global diet pill pyramid scheme worked out using the ability [and now open invitation] to PM mods and you pull this?! ERR!

I think we need a sticky in the off-topic forum outlining what are considered "suspect" thread topics. Unless I missed it, I don't remember reading the rules for discussion.

bread's done
Back