In case there were any doubts about Fox News' bias.....

There were doubts?
http://www.archive.org/details/outfoxed_interviews
The full movie is interesting as well.

Why does this channel have any credibility with anyone anymore?
Most people, myself too at times, enjoy hearing things from a like minded POV. Sadly, many Americans hold the points of view that Fox espouses on a daily basis. I think you will find that the channel has no credibility to anyone who is moderately educated and who possesses even a bare minimum of media literacy.

On that topic, I believe that media literacy is a more important subject than any taught in our schools at this time. And yet, it is passed over.

That was one of the dumbest things for a sitting congressman to say on camera, opposed or unopossed. The fact that it was "comedy" is irrelevent. Granted, Fox News ran with the bait, but how stupid could you be saying something like that on the record. Sure, he may be unopossed this election, but wait untill 2008 when some opponent runs pieces of that interview in campaign ads.

And lets not forget that for every Fox News, theres a CNN, NPR, and CBS news taking it up for the other side.

The hell they don't! Interviews are edited all of the time on every major news station.

Let me guess, you people are all democrats, right? I'm a republican, and I recognize bias in all media. It just exists, even if it isn't explicit or intentional. As long as we have human beings talking, this is the way that it will be. I'm just sick and tired of internet bloggers getting all pissy over Fox News because it's by far the most popular news network on TV.

Actually, I'm of no political party. I'm an academic. I am able to recognize bias in all forms of media as well, that is a given. I recognize a liberal bias in CNN, but I believe Fox is far worse in what they do. The popularity of the channel has nothing to do with anything - it is just a mirror of popular America - and your use of that as a stab is childish. Internet bloggers aren't going after Fox News because they are "popular".....

Im sure you are aware of the PIPA study that showed that people who regularly watched Fox News were significantly more likely to have "misperceptions" about the *facts* surrounding the Iraq War than people who watch PBS or listen to NPR. I tend to believe that a news organization's goal should be to report facts.

Fact of the matter is, media control and ownership is being confined to several large organizations with an interest in supporting the hegemony. People who are in positions of control, wealth and power generally tend to be conservative. (Yes, that is a generalization...I even used the word generally.) There is little interest in affecting change or modifying the status quo. This creates serious issues for the American people.

[quote name='Pojo']The hell they don't! Interviews are edited all of the time on every major news station.

Let me guess, you people are all democrats, right? I'm a republican, and I recognize bias in all media. It just exists, even if it isn't explicit or intentional. As long as we have human beings talking, this is the way that it will be. I'm just sick and tired of internet bloggers getting all pissy over Fox News because it's by far the most popular news network on TV.[/quote]
Yeah, internet bloggers get out the Neilsen Charts and decide which channel they want to target based on who has the best ratings :roll:. I'm sure it has nothing to do with content.

[quote name='zebbers']Internet bloggers aren't going after Fox News because they are "popular".....[/quote]

Well, to be fair, it seems that they go after Fox versus other well-known (and not overt, like National Review) conservative news sources. The Wall Street Journal comes to mind, as does the Reverend Sun-Myung Moon's paper, the Washington Times. Sinclair broadcasting (they own a large number of ABC affiliates and other stations) often interject their news broadcasts with a short op-ed segment (led by Sinclair CEO Mark Hyman) that is, without fail, a Right-Wing talking point. But, unless you follow Media Matters with a fine-tooth comb, you wouldn't know about such sources. I'd say some of it is the popularity of the station, while another part is the "entertainment" factor of having people such as Weekly Standard editor Brit Hume, registered republican independent Bill O'Reilly telling us that he's moderate, or "telling it like it is." It's like watching old-time pro wrestling. You hated the bad guy announcer (Bobby Heenan, for example, for those in the know), who would defend the bad guy's actions to an illogical degreee that would render the viewer incredulous. Said bad guy would do his bad guy thing (using a chait to hit his oppnent, let's say), and the announcer would deny seeing it, or that he slipped and accidentally hit his opponent. It was intnetionally structured to infuriate you and get you emotionally charged to watch it, with the hopes that the bad guy would eventually get his comeuppance. So, back on topic, Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly are known personalities, and very much like badguy pro wrestling announcer. Staff for the Washington Times? Perhaps only known to the most astute of readers and critics.

Yeah, you're an academic all right. What field and what school? Grad school or tenure track (or, indentured servitude adjunct)?

Yeah... I'm not up to reading all of the posts so I'll post my opinions on it. In speech/debate class at school, our teacher actually gave an entire lesson on how Fox news is not biased. She failed. Kinda. It is slightly biased, but not as much as people would normally think.

Ummm.... you realize that Good Morning America and The Today Show ran the SAME piece with the SAME assumption BEFORE fox did, right?

...or were you so blind in your partisan hatred of all things conservative that you forgot?

Um, no, CNN, NPR, and CBS do not edit interviews with the express intention and purpose of slandering the people in them.

you're joking, right?

...man, I hope so.

V

Honestly, I didn't see all that much bias.

Look at the edits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atglzT9FTaU&search=triumph%20o%27reilly

My fave Fox bias story: Triumph the insult comic dog was talking about an interview he did on Bill O'Reilly's show.

If you know Triumph, you know he likes to use the "for me to poop on" zinger- IE Triumph: That is a beautiful sweater... for me to poop on!

Anyway - the interview that was shown had Triumph uncharacteristically kissing Bill's ass.

The Trumph guy later said that the interview was heavily edited such that his zingers were removed, thus resulting in a bunch of flattering comments with hardly any punchlines.

[quote name='Veritas1204']Ummm.... you realize that Good Morning America and The Today Show ran the SAME piece with the SAME assumption BEFORE fox did, right?

...or were you so blind in your partisan hatred of all things conservative that you forgot?

you're joking, right?

...man, I hope so.

V[/QUOTE]

Please show me the links to these other pieces, and show me that they employ the same hack-job editing that used to make the congressman seem like a schmuck.

I do love the fact that your post tacitly admits that Fox is blatantly conservative, tho.....thank you for making my point for me! ((...or were you so blind in your partisan hatred of all things conservative that you forgot?))

[quote name='dennis_t']Please show me the links to these other pieces, and show me that they employ the same hack-job editing that used to make the congressman seem like a schmuck.

I do love the fact that your post tacitly admits that Fox is blatantly conservative, tho.....thank you for making my point for me! ((...or were you so blind in your partisan hatred of all things conservative that you forgot?))[/quote]

What about the 60 Minute interview on Mick Foley talking about Backyard Wrestling?

... the intro to the clip that FOX showed has Colbert saying, "Let's say a few things that would really lose the election for you if you were contested -- but remember, you are not contested."

It's stated plainly, right there (with hysterical audience laughter intact). If anything, it's edited in a way so idiots think, "Golly. D'ja see what Robert Wexler said!?" They probably did edit it to make him look bad, but I'm saying that they didn't do a good job, even if you didn't see the original unedited footage.

[quote name='Brak']... the intro to the clip that FOX showed has Colbert saying, "Let's say a few things that would really lose the election for you if you were contested -- but remember, you are not contested."

It's stated plainly, right there (with hysterical audience laughter intact). If anything, it's edited in a way so idiots think, "Golly. D'ja see what Robert Wexler said!?" They probably did edit it to make him look bad, but I'm saying that they didn't do a good job, even if you didn't see the original unedited footage.[/QUOTE]

Watch the deconstruction....Fox deliberately cut the segment down to make Wexler seem WAY too into talking about cocaine and whores....Colbert had to repeatedly prompt him and urge him to get him to go along with the gag.

[quote name='dennis_t']Watch the deconstruction....Fox deliberately cut the segment down to make Wexler seem WAY too into talking about cocaine and whores....Colbert had to repeatedly prompt him and urge him to get him to go along with the gag.[/QUOTE]
I did.

[quote name='Veritas1204']Ummm.... you realize that Good Morning America and The Today Show ran the SAME piece with the SAME assumption BEFORE fox did, right?
[/quote] [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lkHQG9bwaQ[/media]

[quote name='rabbitt']All political opinion aside, the first time I saw that Colbert Report episode a few days ago, I laughed my ass off.[/QUOTE]

It was a genius segment, but I know I had the feeling, watching that for the first time, that *someone* would be dumb enough to try to use that to their Wexler's political detriment. Color me unsurprised at who it turned out to be.

OK dennis, but you might have forgot one thing...

on colbert's OWN show, he sites GMA and the TODAY show's "coverage" of the story to illustrate the media bias. But not fox. Somehow, the very man who was supposedly slandered against must have forgot to include the main slanderer (well, in your mind anyway dennis) in his rebuttal piece.

But I'm sure its not so much that you are a partisan hack. I mean, maybe the evil heads at FOX threatened colbert with death if he "exposed" them.

I mean, there has to be SOME explanation as to why FOX wasn't outed as having the most blatant bias against Colbert; no way could it be that you are wrong dennis.

Because as we all know, liberals are NEVER wrong.

Just ask Dan Rather.

V

Regardless of what mass media television news outlet you fella's were hoping would be made a fool by this, Colbert really exposed a major trick of the media in general, I thought that was a neat segment myself.

[quote name='Veritas1204']OK dennis, but you might have forgot one thing...

on colbert's OWN show, he sites GMA and the TODAY show's "coverage" of the story to illustrate the media bias. But not fox. Somehow, the very man who was supposedly slandered against must have forgot to include the main slanderer (well, in your mind anyway dennis) in his rebuttal piece.

But I'm sure its not so much that you are a partisan hack. I mean, maybe the evil heads at FOX threatened colbert with death if he "exposed" them.

I mean, there has to be SOME explanation as to why FOX wasn't outed as having the most blatant bias against Colbert; no way could it be that you are wrong dennis.

Because as we all know, liberals are NEVER wrong.

Just ask Dan Rather.

V[/QUOTE]

So what you are saying is, you didn't see either the GMA or Today segments, and so you can't tell me if they engaged in the same hackjob editing that Fox so clearly did.

But rather than admit you don't know what you're talking about, or admitting that Fox did indeed engage in some incredibly crummy journalism, you throw out some ad hominem attacks on liberals and a pointless reference to what Colbert featured in his report. Who cares what Colbert featured? Doesn't change the fact that Fox butchered the interview to make Wexler seem dim-witted.

Next time, think about what you're saying rather than providing a knee-jerk reaction.

[quote name='dennis_t']So what you are saying is, you didn't see either the GMA or Today segments, and so you can't tell me if they engaged in the same hackjob editing that Fox so clearly did.

But rather than admit you don't know what you're talking about, or admitting that Fox did indeed engage in some incredibly crummy journalism, you throw out some ad hominem attacks on liberals and a pointless reference to what Colbert featured in his report. Who cares what Colbert featured? Doesn't change the fact that Fox butchered the interview to make Wexler seem dim-witted.

Next time, think about what you're saying rather than providing a knee-jerk reaction.[/quote]

no dennis, what I'm saying is, I wached the GMA and Today stories because THEY WERE REPLAYED ON COLBERT'S SHOW. And since I can see that common sense and logic are neither of your strongpoints, allow me to restate my point, (in terms I hope even you can understand).

Colbert, who ultimately was responsible for pressing the politican to make the comments he did, is known for his dislike of conservatives. He has repeatedly proven that he will take any opportunity to express this feeling, (i.e. the white house press dinner).

That being said, the story dennis refers to was broadcast in almost the SAME EXACT manner on many media fronts, including CNN and FOX, among others. In it, the context of the situation was removed, making it harder for viewers to realize the lighthearted nature in which the comments were made. However, the story was a little more biased in the GMA and TODAY versions, thus drawing Colbert's attention to it.

In response to the overwhelmingly negative way the story was played out by MSM journalists, Colbert responded by recapping the story, complete with a humorously directed attack at who he precieved to be the two most excessively biased organizations, GMA and TODAY. Notice, no mention of FOX news, or anyone affiliated with FOX in the piece, just GMA and TODAY.

With all that being said dennis, are you wanting us to believe that, despite the fact that Colbert despises conservatives, and never wastes an opportunity to try to make them look stupid, he just decided to give them a pass?

In fact, the more plausible conclusion is that Colbert couldn't point the finger at FOX because their coverage of his story wasn't as blatently biased as the two he singled out in his follow-up.

Making it more likely that dennis, not using this common logical step, decides to leave out and discount information pertinent in forming your own educated opinion on the entire situation deciding instead to use his incomplete knowledge of the piece as yet another platform for cheap ad hominem attacks and hatespeech against all who dare to challenge his impunity.

So congratulations dennis, *what you've said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.*

V

* used from the movie "billy madison"

wow, Msut. I write a well-reasoned post containing a point by point refutation of dennis' opinion, and the best response you can muster is grade school ad hominem attacks and spellcheck?

Well, forgive me if I feel a little underwhelmed. Your statements are more along the lines of what a child says to an adult he disagrees with, and have NO place in this thread.

Now, go to your room and let the adults talk.

V

Colberts whole schtick is a mockery of the O'rly factory, maybe they just got tired of giving Fox any more attention? who knows, I hardly see it worthy of a thesis worth of insults, it was a funny segment.

[quote name='zebbers']Im sure you are aware of the PIPA study that showed that people who regularly watched Fox News were significantly more likely to have "misperceptions" about the *facts* surrounding the Iraq War than people who watch PBS or listen to NPR. I tend to believe that a news organization's goal should be to report facts.[/quote]

A link to that study would be interesting, as would finding out who did the study.

[quote name='zebbers']Fact of the matter is, media control and ownership is being confined to several large organizations with an interest in supporting the hegemony. People who are in positions of control, wealth and power generally tend to be conservative. (Yes, that is a generalization...I even used the word generally.) There is little interest in affecting change or modifying the status quo. This creates serious issues for the American people.[/QUOTE]

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/06/04/gelman.html

Beyond that article, I think most folks in Hollywood and people like George Soros would disagree that people in positions of wealth and power are "generally" conservative...

[quote name='Metal Boss']You can't pay your taxes if you're dead![/QUOTE]

I already despised Kilmeade, but who is that vapid woman?

[quote name='Veritas1204']
Now, go to your room and let the adults talk.

V[/QUOTE]

said the man-child who posted this gem

Just ask Dan Rather

take your own advice. And while you are there you should watch Colbert a few dozen times. I don't believe you understand what his show is all about. I doubt you even seen it.

lemme guess. Earlier this year you somehow got wind of Colbert's performace at the White House press dinner (probably on hannity.com or newsmax) and all the mean wittle thiwngs he said about Bush. Of course you couldn't actually take the time to watch Colbert, after all he is a "conservative hater". So you assume what he showed from GMA and Today (hint it is in this tread) and presto- V for the Win!!!. Try again, newbie.

I was trying to remember where I heard all of this, before Fox News...

Good Morning America! They played really short bumper clips of Wexler saying that cocaine and prostitutes were double the fun, or whatever he said -- they didn't show him conversing with Colbert at all. They made it look as though he was simply saying it; never showed Colbert once.

I think it was on last Tuesday.

[quote name='usickenme']said the man-child who posted this gem

take your own advice. And while you are there you should watch Colbert a few dozen times. I don't believe you understand what his show is all about. I doubt you even seen it.

lemme guess. Earlier this year you somehow got wind of Colbert's performace at the White House press dinner (probably on hannity.com or newsmax) and all the mean wittle thiwngs he said about Bush. Of course you couldn't actually take the time to watch Colbert, after all he is a "conservative hater". So you assume what he showed from GMA and Today (hint it is in this tread) and presto- V for the Win!!!. Try again, newbie.[/quote]

Let's see, where to begin.

Ok. First, in case you haven't been paying attention, I stated a case refuting the creator of this thread's statement of fox news being the source of the creative editing of Colbert's show. My entire point throughout this thread is to expose the fact that GMA and TODAY were the first to break this supposed story on Wexler, and were the first to edit the interview to make it into something it wasn't. I further stated that the story was then aired on many other news agencies, (including CNN, MSNBC, and yes FOX NEWS), which all seemed to include some of the context that TODAY and GMA so conveniently left out.

All of this background information was to show how unprofessional and downright ignorant for someone to simply say "FOX is biased because they ran a story about Colbert" without at least LOOKING at all the other factors in the situation. Whether this omission of all the facts was either unintentional or caculated is for the thread's creator to say.

Now, this is the third time I have stated my case, and the third time some twit left a comment reducing it to some petty partisan "I hate liberals" bullshit. So, for those of you who can see past my politics and realize that, despite your personal feelings, the fact that Colbert, speaking directly on the interview in question, (and having a prime opportunity to slam FOX), chose to focus ONLY on GMA and TODAY as being behind the worst of the creative editing situation, at the very least creates doubt that FOX was somehow at the forefront of a massive conspiracy to defame Colbert.

As for those who throw petty insults and the like, I think Kazaam said it best when he said fuck you.

V

If anything this thread should be an attack on the MSM and its love of sensationalism. Fox wasn't the only outlet to show the edited footage as evidenced in Colbert's follow up specifically targeting GMA and Today.

[quote name='Veritas1204']no dennis, what I'm saying is, I wached the GMA and Today stories because THEY WERE REPLAYED ON COLBERT'S SHOW. And since I can see that common sense and logic are neither of your strongpoints, allow me to restate my point, (in terms I hope even you can understand).[/quote]

Um. No. The stories were not replayed in their entirety on Colbert's show. So you have no actual idea what they said or whether they butchered the congressman's answer as Fox did.

That being said, the story dennis refers to was broadcast in almost the SAME EXACT manner on many media fronts, including CNN and FOX, among others. In it, the context of the situation was removed, making it harder for viewers to realize the lighthearted nature in which the comments were made. However, the story was a little more biased in the GMA and TODAY versions, thus drawing Colbert's attention to it.

In response to the overwhelmingly negative way the story was played out by MSM journalists, Colbert responded by recapping the story, complete with a humorously directed attack at who he precieved to be the two most excessively biased organizations, GMA and TODAY. Notice, no mention of FOX news, or anyone affiliated with FOX in the piece, just GMA and TODAY.

Wow. You just make this stuff up off the top of your head, don't you? At no point in Colbert's recap did he say he perceived GMA and Today to be the "two most excessively biased organizations." That is a complete and absolute lie you just delivered, based upon a half-assed analysis you performed with no factual basis whatsoever.

And I shall repeat, until you show us links proving that the story was covered the exact same way by all the major media, your assertion means nothing. Show us some facts, not just your opinion.

In the meantime, you've done nothing to refute my initial point, that Fox engaged in hackjob biased journalism through its atrocious editing of the congressman's remarks. A point supported by the FACTS provided.

[quote name='Veritas1204']wow, Msut. I write a well-reasoned post containing a point by point refutation of dennis' opinion[/QUOTE]

Where?

[quote name='Veritas1204']Let's see, where to begin.

Ok. First, in case you haven't been paying attention, I stated a case refuting the creator of this thread's statement of fox news being the source of the creative editing of Colbert's show. My entire point throughout this thread is to expose the fact that GMA and TODAY were the first to break this supposed story on Wexler, and were the first to edit the interview to make it into something it wasn't. I further stated that the story was then aired on many other news agencies, (including CNN, MSNBC, and yes FOX NEWS), which all seemed to include some of the context that TODAY and GMA so conveniently left out.

All of this background information was to show how unprofessional and downright ignorant for someone to simply say "FOX is biased because they ran a story about Colbert" without at least LOOKING at all the other factors in the situation. Whether this omission of all the facts was either unintentional or caculated is for the thread's creator to say.

Now, this is the third time I have stated my case, and the third time some twit left a comment reducing it to some petty partisan "I hate liberals" bullshit. So, for those of you who can see past my politics and realize that, despite your personal feelings, the fact that Colbert, speaking directly on the interview in question, (and having a prime opportunity to slam FOX), chose to focus ONLY on GMA and TODAY as being behind the worst of the creative editing situation, at the very least creates doubt that FOX was somehow at the forefront of a massive conspiracy to defame Colbert.

As for those who throw petty insults and the like, I think Kazaam said it best when he said fuck you.

V[/QUOTE]

First of all , isn't fuck you the pettiest insult of all? or how about twit?

Seriously, this issued isn't simply that "the news" edits stories. I think given the fact that the news isn't 10 hours long makes that fact apparent. It is how they edit them and report them. Now if you had watched the clips from GMA and Today you would see the story was about "why would politicians go on Colbert" and (get this )today EVEN SHOWED A REPUBLICAN CONGRESSMAN! Fox's story was about "look at that idiot Wexler". So this whole...they ran the same story simply isn't true and reallly dodges the question.

The story on Fox wasn't even about Colbert. It was about Wexler. Get it? My guess about you still being pissed at Colbert for the white house press dinner seems spot on given your need to make this about him. FYI -his whole "character" on the show is an ultra-right winger and it stands to reason as part of that role, he would go after the typical right- wing bogeyman the MSM, ergo..GMA and Today. Colbert also never "ranked" the edit as you claim.

Grant this is only a very slight example of the Fox News bias and hardly one to get bothered over. But still a funny example none-the-less.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Um, no, CNN, NPR, and CBS do not edit interviews with the express intention and purpose of slandering the people in them.[/quote]

No, they just report on FAKE documents to try to influence a presidential race. Nothing wrong with that.

[quote name='schuerm26']No, they just report on FAKE documents to try to influence a presidential race. Nothing wrong with that.[/QUOTE]

Difference being, when they learn they've been duped, they run corrections and acknowledge their error. Because, frightful as it is, people do sometimes screw up. Good luck getting a correction out of Fox News or Rush Limbaugh and his ilk.

I like fox news cause of the personalitys of the casters and they come off very boldly as if they hold lil back on there own opinons im smart enough to not go along with everything I hear on there and understand that they kiss bush's ass constantly.

Also to point out that everyone on fox news hates illegals while cnn loves them..its almost as if they purposly all agree on the station just to go against cnn.
Logicly with all the dif shows and people on there ud think they would disagree with eatchother .

LOL and NBC CBS and ABC aren't? There just was a photojournalist that added smoke and fires into the city of Lebanon to make it look worse. The same ones that report that 27 civilians were killed by Marines but don't mention that they had AK-47s and where shooting at Marines? And your saying that FOX is bias lol. The media are the most powerful people on Earth and are the biggest liers on the Earth. Compared to the alternative FOX is the least bias at least they report news still and don't make it.

[quote name='CorporalJackson']LOL and NBC CBS and ABC aren't? There just was a photojournalist that added smoke and fires into the city of Lebanon to make it look worse. The same ones that report that 27 civilians were killed by Marines but don't mention that they had AK-47s and where shooting at Marines? And your saying that FOX is bias lol. The media are the most powerful people on Earth and are the biggest liers on the Earth. Compared to the alternative FOX is the least bias at least they report news still and don't make it.[/QUOTE]

OMFG I hope this is a parody.

The sad thing is you cannot tell anymore.

[quote name='dennis_t']Difference being, when they learn they've been duped, they run corrections and acknowledge their error. Because, frightful as it is, people do sometimes screw up. Good luck getting a correction out of Fox News or Rush Limbaugh and his ilk.[/quote]

THEY RUN CORRECTIONS AND ACKNOWLEDGE THEIR ERROR? HA HA!! Dan Rather still thinks that crap he had is real. Nice one.

2nd of all, comparing Fox News, CBS News, NBC News to Rush Limbaugh is ludicrous. They are completely different. Rush Limbaugh makes no attempt to be fair and biased nor should he. He isn't a news program. The other 3 are.

bread's done
Back